PDA

View Full Version : Viridian RTL for the Shield.

25Chuck
09-13-14, 20:54
Does anyone here have one? If so, I'd like a run down on the good and bad. I really want a light for my Shield and this seems to be the only option.

Also, does anyone make holsters to fit?

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/reactor-rtl-shield

25Chuck
12-20-14, 21:41
Bump to try again....

Blak1508
12-20-14, 23:50
Personally Viridian is garbage. Novelty at best IMO. Neat idea but many QC issues. I have a C5L that my wife got me 3 years ago after asking a LGS douche what to get me as a birthday gift. I went through 3 units and still the one I have is crap, I just gave up trying to have them correct it and have come to the realization that it would not matter if I was given 10 or 100 replace units that they would all eventually fail with the way I run them which is to say I trained with it attached. So if you just want a neat paper weight buy one but personally I say get a good tac light and train with that or wait for surefire to bring one to the market. Viridian is not highly regarded here and with good reason. Maybe someone else has some different input but from what I gather that's the general consensus

nimdabew
12-20-14, 23:57
Get night sights. Get ammo. Shoot.

Noodles
12-21-14, 07:37
Carry a handheld instead

Blak1508
12-21-14, 15:23
Noodles- I must admit though I do use the shit out of that Raven, it's been through 2 C5L units and 2 courses. The unit I have now changes after every shot, the light flickers blah blah blah. I was thinking about contacting them again but I do not know if I can deal with Viridian anymore, not good for my soul, lol.

CatSnipah
12-21-14, 15:58
Get night sights. Get ammo. Shoot.

Couldn't have said it better myself. TruGlo TFOs FTW.

Blak1508
12-21-14, 17:01
I do not see how night sights will help identify a threat, they serve as a marker to know where your aiming but do not illuminate what your aiming at. As I said a good tac offhand light you will be fine, matter of fact at my first low light course the first thing the instructors did was tell us to take off or turn off our weapon mounted lights and we started with offhand light. A great light to look at is the Olight 20r baton small light and one hell of a light source

25Chuck
12-28-14, 20:11
I do not see how night sights will help identify a threat, they serve as a marker to know where your aiming but do not illuminate what your aiming at.

Thank you for saving me the trouble!

As for answers to the rest of the posts.... I have a set of Ameriglo HD night sights on my shield and I shoot it quite often. I also participate in training, although I can't afford as many courses as I would like. I carry a small handheld pen light but it's not quickly activated or well suited to any of the flashlight techniques I am used to. I suppose I could carry a larger light however, my work gun has a TLR1 with a grip switch on it so it makes sense to me to stick with something similar for all guns that I carry.

Thanks Blak1508, for your input on the reliability front. I was concerned about that and the fact that they incorporated the activate on draw function (ECW?) which is such a nonsensical gimmicky feature. Seems to me that any company that would focus their efforts on that, isn't serious about producing life saving tools.