PDA

View Full Version : bushmaster AR pistols

outdoorsmen
06-17-08, 10:51
can they be fitted with a stock and turned into a 7.5" carbine? http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ-C15P21S.asp

Ron S.
06-17-08, 11:26
Yep..they sell them that way as "law enforcement carbines". You just put a stock on and register it.

outdoorsmen
06-17-08, 19:08
are they any good? or would getting a 11" barrel and building be a better idea?

Ron S.
06-17-08, 19:24
Well...I can't say I wouldn't like having the pistol version, but I certainly would like a 10.5" SBR probably even more. I think the 7" or so is just too small. Kinda like trying to hold an Uzi with two hands. I like a two handed weapon...feels more secure.

Oh, and to answer your question...yes, they're good, but they kick like a .45, and they're loud as hell. Feels like you've got a lot of power in your hand (and you do!)

IroquoisSnakePlissken
08-30-08, 23:52
These things kick like a mule, are loud as hell, and unwieldy as a jackass with a saddle.

Don't do what I did wrong:

Register it as an SBR
Put a stock and a VFG on it
Put a Noveske Krink on it

You should be good-to-go after this. I didn't want to deal with the headache of SBR registration, so I never made any of these mods. The uncontrolable recoil of these suckers also blew my RDS out, which had worked perfectly on full-sized M4s for years...

If you do the three things mentioned, it is an outstanding firearm. The one other thing of interest that you may want to consider before making said modifications is that:

The buffer tube is shorter than a normal AR/M4. You will definitely want to replace this, as well as the spring.

As well, the bolt-carrier is smaller than the AR/M4's. You will want to replace this when making modifications.

The stock handguard sucks. Get something quad-railed.

If I sound negative, I'm not. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Only I would like to get a standard BM lower, upper, and avoid the Carbon Fibre. It's a good idea, but way too light for the recoil this puts out.

If registered as an SBR, and modified, this would be the be-all, end-all of shorties.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
08-30-08, 23:56
Addendum:

You will also want to get a serious trigger job on it. I had the pull reduced to ~1.5 lbs, and this made a world of difference on such a featherweight blaster.