PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Tailor Extended Range Pack Questions

Jellybean
09-14-14, 13:25
So I've been looking at packs, this one caught my attention. After the last week of researching packs, it still has it.
However, I have some questions and concerns that I'd like to get some info on.
So- for anyone that has one of these....
Also, for the record, I'm referencing the genuine TT pack, not the GGG version which is apparently a bit subpar...

>Waist belt- TT states the adjustment range from 34-57". Holy crap.
How does the waist belt run- on the small side of these numbers, or big?
The concern is I'm around a 32" waist...

>Pack overall size/height- So the height is stated on TT as 28".
I'm 5' 10".
Unfortunately I can't tell if this will work for me or not- here's the thing; I do NOT want a pack that rides way up behind/over my head. Low- mid neck, I can live with, but not a millimeter beyond that.
Unfortunately, the pictures I've seen of people wearing these things seems to vary wildly. One guy wearing the thing I see and it looks perfect, the next guy it's up over his head. WTF?
The same sort of goes for the overall size of the pack- some pics/vids I see and I'm thinking it's perfect, and others it looks a bit to big.
I can't tell if some of these guys are just giants, or if it's some weird optical illusion, or maybe the way they wear the pack differently from others?
I'm stumped- and frankly, from some of the pics I've seen elsewhere, I've seen 4k Cu. In. packs that look smaller.

A couple examples;

Holy shit it's huge:
http://images-kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cooking_on_hard_mode-337x600.jpg

No wait, it's good (he's got it riding a little low, but as far as an overall size comparions to other gear he's wearing)
http://www.captainberz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/erop2.jpg

Actually, on second thought it seems a tad large, but it *might* work;
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lxee7ZKSZPg/maxresdefault.jpg

See what I mean?
The thing is, I just don't want to end up with a pack that's the size of a small mountain...
Yeah, I know, "go buy one" but for nearly 400 bucks more info would be great before dumping cash.

>Long term use durability- if anyone's owned and actually used these since the last bunch of reviews I've seen around 2011/'12, how's it holding up?
Are the zippers GTG? I don't trust zippers, so this is a big concern of mine.
How the overall quality compare to other "brand name" packs?
Have there been any changes to the quality on new production packs?

>How does it feel when full? How well does the suspension work? Is it really stiff, or really floppy, or just right? Does the waist belt take the weight off the pack as it should, or is it kind of saggy and mediocre?
What kind of load weights have you guys been running in this thing? How's the padding- good enough, to much, or not enough?

>How well does it work with gear/armor?
See the above picture- apparently it *can* work, but how well does it work? ;)
Currently running a chest rig, no battle belt. However, at some point it may need to work with a plate carrier.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
I know there's a ton of other great packs out there- but for now I'd like info on the EROP specifically.
Thanks in advance. :)

malstew123
09-17-14, 12:24
I just purchased one of these. Should be arriving tomorrow. I'll post some photos and feedback once I get a chance to evaluate it.

trackmagic
09-18-14, 14:46
When you get it let me know how comfortable the suspension system is. Also, is the signal panel removable?

RBarker
09-22-14, 15:40
The signal panel is sewn into the "hide" flap, it is not removable.

Feel free to email me if you need any technical questions at ryan@tacticaltailor.com

I also would like to see some more user feedback to find out if there is anything we can improve on since the EROP has been the same since we first released it

MiamiC70
09-22-14, 21:34
Like to have rain flaps on zippers like on the Modular Operators Pack. Also, a removable / storable rain cover would be nice addition.

trackmagic
09-22-14, 21:36
Hey Ryan, There are a few reasons I have not bought this bag. One of the big ones is the 6.5lb empty weight. I am hoping a 500D version comes out soon. From what I have gathered 500D is still considered destructible for the most part. I have been using a LBT Extended Day Ruck for about a year now (I have been very hard on it) and it has not had any issues. I believe it is 500D.

I doubt the signal panel is very heavy, but it seems like if that was detachable most people would not run it.

I like the concept of this pack. I hope to see more TT internal frame packs in the future.

trackmagic
09-22-14, 21:38
Like to have rain flaps on zippers like on the Modular Operators Pack. Also, a removable / storable rain cover would be nice addition.

My old ROP had rain flaps. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was the zipper would get hung up in it. Every time I used it I had to spent about 2 minutes getting the zipper un-f'd.

RBarker
09-23-14, 15:03

As trackmagic mentioned below, there were some issues with the old style rain flaps on the zipper area. When we get a chance to redesign I will add them back in but a different style to help eliminate the zipper hanging up, possibly similar to our Malice Pack lines which is a more traditional rain flap.
Definitely will have a rain cover that is removable and storable, also a possible retrofit for existing packs customers have already purchased.

Hey Ryan, There are a few reasons I have not bought this bag. One of the big ones is the 6.5lb empty weight. I am hoping a 500D version comes out soon. From what I have gathered 500D is still considered destructible for the most part. I have been using a LBT Extended Day Ruck for about a year now (I have been very hard on it) and it has not had any issues. I believe it is 500D.

I doubt the signal panel is very heavy, but it seems like if that was detachable most people would not run it.

I like the concept of this pack. I hope to see more TT internal frame packs in the future.

We have had no issues with 500d on our Fight Light product line that is being used down range, I have yet to see any bags or mag pouches be returned due to the 500d cordura failing.
500d is a step in the right direction for this bag along with newer materials we have started using after the bag was designed, also possibly more discrete colors vs. the standard Military colors.

My old ROP had rain flaps. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was the zipper would get hung up in it. Every time I used it I had to spent about 2 minutes getting the zipper un-f'd.

This is not the first time I have heard this and as we go along with redesigns and new designs that style of zipper flap is being replaced with a more "standard" style of flap

Jellybean
09-25-14, 12:33

To be honest, I don't see a problem with the weight- it actually sounds pretty good. I mean, it's either right on par or under other name-brand comparably sized packs. For example, Kifaru Pointman, 3k cu in @ 5Lb 8oz., or Xing 2700 cu in @ 5Lb., Mystery Ranch Komodo 2300 cu in @ 5Lb 9oz., or SATL 3650 cu in @ 5 Lb., Eberlestock F3M Halftrack 2150 cu in @ 6Lb 7oz., G3 Phantom 2800 cu in @ 10Lb 8oz (lets call it 8.8Lb less the scabbard), or Eberlestock Destroyer, 3600 cu in. @ 8 Lb.
I would also be willing to bet some of the "extras" (which are real nice as opposed to other $400 blank bags) on the EROP, like the internal organization, bladder compartment and signal panel would add up to around that extra 1/2 pound or so....So for example, add in a couple extra internal pockets to one of the internally blank Kifaru's, and then we would get a better comparison of how things really compare in weight to the EROP.....

The other thing I wonder about, is if a switch was made to 500d, would it potentially make for kind of a floppy pack? I like that 1000d has some inherent stiffness to it, and 500d doesn't really. Great stuff for pouches and LBE, but a heavy load? Every quality well-known brand that I've come across (like the list above) uses 1000d for their packs....

I agree on the signal panel, although some folks I've heard like them in an emergency/rescue "here I am" role.

What would be a great addition to any further versions of this pack would be a dedicated waterproof pack cover. Either just sold with it, or in some nifty "pull-out" configuration kind of like one of Eberlerstock's packs.... ;)

RBarker
09-25-14, 14:50
A 500d version would be considerably more "floppy" than an 1000d version, but it will not be as bad as you might imagine.
There are a few 500d EROP's floating around here that were able to keep their structures similar to the 1000d versions.

As far as stiffness goes we are getting some wax canvas materials in for another OEM customer, I am have tempted to make and "test" EROP out of that material and strip off most of the Molle webbing just for an experiment.
The wax canvas has a unique feel to it and will make the EROP quite heavy but has a better water proofing quality vs. corduras

MiamiC70
09-25-14, 19:16
Ryan, also something that you guys need to do is redesign the hydration hangers on your bags. You sell Source Hydration and I love Source but I have to use a web dominator or gridlock to hang the bag properly.

Also the ROP has no pass through for the hydration hose :/

sevin8nin
09-26-14, 14:59
I don't have any answers for you specifically in regards to that pack, but I have questions that might help illuminate a couple of things.

What do you want to use the pack for?
What do you want to be able to carry in it?
How long do you want to be able to carry it?

As a complete geardo, and persistent collector of bags, I can tell you that I use different size bags for different things. If i'm doing an over-nighter I can get away with a small 2000cuin(ish) pack. My every day carry bag is closer to 90cuin. I find that if I carry around a bigger bag I have a tendency to fill it with stuff I don't really need. If I want to carry more stuff without as much consideration for space saving I have a 4000cuin pack.

RBarker
09-26-14, 15:08
Ryan, also something that you guys need to do is redesign the hydration hangers on your bags. You sell Source Hydration and I love Source but I have to use a web dominator or gridlock to hang the bag properly.

Also the ROP has no pass through for the hydration hose :/

We are not carrying Source anymore and have switched to HydraPak over the past few months, I am not sure of the main reason but I have heard that logistics of getting resupplied was a major part of the change over.

The hydration compartment is on the exterior of the ROP which is where you route the hose up to the shoulder straps.
Initially the ROP was designed to hold small radios in the elastic pockets on the interior of the main compartment per a request from a unit at JBLM, then the radio antennas route through the top opening.
The hydration is mounted to the exterior behind the shoulder straps to keep moisture (bladder sweat) from coming in contact with the radios.

malstew123
11-18-14, 19:07
Disclaimer:I have worn the pack for a couple brief hikes and have not yet been able to take it for the long backpacking trip I had initially intended before writing a response. The zippers are well constructed and with the compression straps on the side of the pack, I have fidelity it will stay sealed as long as you are not trying to overload the pack past it's capacity. I've got about 40lbs loaded into the pack to include a small tent, sleeping bag, 3 mre's, warming layers, and various general camp utility items and have not noticed any premature opening of the zippered area. At first the pack rode a little low, but after tinkering with the shoulder straps and belt I was able to get it to sit high enough to put pressure on my hips without interfering with my stride. I am built squatty so if someone has a longer torso I see no reason why the pack wouldn't fit well right out of the box. Suspension wise, the pack feels great. The two metal frame bars seem to hold the shape well, and the belt takes a good deal of stress off the shoulders/back and places it on the hips. As far as wearing it with gear, I could not buckle the belt when wearing a battle belt but again longer torsos might not have this issue. With armor the pack wears fine. I would look into getting the mystery ranch cinch straps If you intend on wearing the pack with armor for extended periods of time. All in all I am happy with the purchase and like all TT products, the pack is made with quality and designed in a well though-out manner.

Excuse the poor selfie , hope it answers your question about size of the pack, I am of 5'7'' and a 34'' waist.

Jellybean
11-23-14, 22:23
Kool Beanz!
I was wondering if you ever got around to testing it.
And now, you just had to go and post this up after I was all set on another pack.... :p
Interesting on the size- smaller than I had expected after the other pics I've seen.

So, about the MR Cinch, would a decent sternum strap (or ghetto webbing hack mod) adjusted a little lower not accomplish the same thing? It almost seems like the Cinch was designed for packs without this feature?
It also seems like it doesn't take into account more low profile modern PCs that aren't full-on MOLLE covered Michelin-man suits.... :laugh:

malstew123
11-24-14, 17:42
My experience with the MR Cinch is in conjunction with the current issue USMC Plate Carrier and Eagle Industries FILBE which already offers a compression strap. The reason I suggested the MR Cinch Straps is that they keep pack straps over the plates and prevent the straps from rolling off the edge of the plates and digging into your armpits which has happened to me when not using the straps. If your plate carrier has any PALS webbing on the top half of the carrier it will accept the MR Cinch Straps. The sternum straps already on the pack are adjustable and I see no reason to think they would not work if you are unable to use the cinch straps. I have buddies who do not use the cinch during hikes and use the provided straps and seem fine. However, whether its the FILBE or an assault pack I always use the straps as I know once I tighten them down the pack straps won't shift.

Ledanek
11-01-15, 09:27
Anyone ever modded the EROP to have MOLLE panel inside so you can strap down a broken down 16-20 rifle inside?
thanks

MiamiC70
06-04-16, 23:20
I have had this pack for a while now and just a few tweaks by Tactical Tailor would have made it even better and I don't understand why they have not implemented them after all the time this pack has been on the market.

1. The waist strap is a bit too short and the "wings" on the belt should extend farther.
2. Why are there no rain flaps along the zippers??? TT put them on the smaller Modular Operators Pack and Removable Operators Pack but not this one which makes no sense. In this thread rep said would be coming but so far ZERO updates to pack.
3. VS-17 is cool but what this needs is a rain coveR. It rains in Florida a lot!

Cold Pizza
07-01-16, 21:18
I bought one as my BoB 2 years ago. I loaded it to 60# and hike with it as part of my workout and I love this pack. The waist strap is pretty stiff, which is good. You can carry as much weight as you want on your hips.

But what I like most is how minimalist it is. Other than the open pouches on the sides at the bottom, the outside is nothing but molle. Add whatever external pouches or whatever you want. Or not. Leave it slick. So many other companies overthink the layout of their packs.