PDA

View Full Version : Hogue G-10 grips for P226 or other options

jck397
09-14-14, 17:01
I just picked up a SIG P226 stainless, and am looking to change out the grips. I like the shape of the factory grips, particularly the "ledge" on the left side that most people seem to dislike, but I don't like how much they flex when I apply a good strong grip. Has anyone had any experience with the G-10's--they're mounted the same way as the factory grips--do they have the flex at the seam in the back like the factory grips do? My other options are the aluminum grips or the E2 grips. I know all of these will be slimmer than the factory grips, but it might be worth it if they're sturdier. Thoughts?

RWH24
09-14-14, 17:11
What flex? I carried a 226 for over 15 yrs daily and shot it all sorts of ways. What size are your meat hooks? LOL
My last 226 purchase came with Rosewood grips which I changed to plastic FDE grips. You might check out the SIG photo section and look at options there. I thought about the G-10's but the FDE factory caught my eye too.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/408884263.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/409157178.jpg

jck397
09-15-14, 19:50
What flex? I carried a 226 for over 15 yrs daily and shot it all sorts of ways. What size are your meat hooks? LOL

I carried a P229 for years, and when I gripped the gun firmly I could feel the grips flex inward at the middle of the backstrap right were the two grip panels meet. I noticed this on all three of the P229s that I owned, as well as my new P226. I actually used to swap them out for new factory grips about once a year because it seemed to get worse over time (not causing any function problems or shooting issues, just annoying and the grips felt cheap). And I have small-to-average hands. What I'm wondering about is whether the G-10s have the same flex. Since I like the shape/size of the factory grips, I don't want to switch unless the G-10s feel more solid and won't flex in under light to medium pressure.

Hope that explains my issue a little better. Thanks!

Also, not to get too far off topic (although I think it's not a problem since it's my topic to begin with?), how do you like the beavertails on the Elite versions? I really like the all-steel classic SIGs, but, other than special runs, the only place you can get them is the Elite version, and some users have said that forces your hand lower. What are your thoughts?

RWH24
09-15-14, 20:17
jck397; I have not shot it enough to re compare it to my duty 226's I carried. Holding the pistol properly, I have big padded hands with short fat fingers. A 226 with the short trigger is at the far end of my comfort range. The web of my hand does seem to push UP on the beavertail when indexing the pistol in my hand. It is a bedside gun with the TLR-2 as the wife handles the 226 DA/SA easy enough. I know the Rosewood grips make the grip too fat for me to handle comfortably. I felt an aluminum grip 226 once and it felt too fat for me also.
Remind me to never shake hands with you, HH jr. LOL

jck397
09-16-14, 22:24
RWH24

Thanks for the reply. I was fondling merchandise at my LGS tonight and they had a 220 Scorpion with the G10s. The grip panels were solid at the seam with no flex, and I loved the texture, so that's what I'm going to go with. I'll see about getting a pic up once I get the new grips and get them installed.

And I wish I was Hulk Hogan, but I'm more along the lines of Captain America before the serum lol.

Stay safe, Sir.

MountainRaven
09-16-14, 22:41
I have a set of the Hogue G10 "extreme" grips on my Mk25. They do seem to flex slightly, but not much. The grip is very aggressive on them and does catch on concealing garments. I bought the Hogues as a place holder until VZ relaunches their P226 grips.

uffdaphil
09-17-14, 07:39
Replaced P229 Enhanced originals with G10 Piranhas and much prefer feel to factory. I can see the sharp edges wearing a tiny bit smooth rather quickly, but they are so aggressive that's a good thing.

ffemt
09-21-14, 12:01
I also have some slight flexing with the stock plastic grips currently on my MK25. I've tried the Hogue flat rubber panel grips and it was just a tad too thick for me, although I liked the grippy-ness and no flex. I just had e2 grips installed on my wife's P226, feels good (we both have small hands), and although no flex, there is just a very tiny gap in between the top right side of the panel and right side of the frame.

crosseyedshooter
09-21-14, 12:26
If there's a tiny gap between the frame and E2 grips, it means the grip isn't fully seated. I had a similar issue but a sharp smack with the web of my my hand to push the E2 forward and it was solved. There's a boss on the frame that sticks up around the grip screw holes and the E2 grips have a recess that is supposed to sit on those bosses. Give it a try.

One thing I observed about the E2's is that the grip cross section feels rounder and allows the gun to twist in my hand. I think I prefer more flat-sides grips.

ffemt
09-21-14, 12:31
If there's a tiny gap between the frame and E2 grips, it means the grip isn't fully seated. I had a similar issue but a sharp smack with the web of my my hand to push the E2 forward and it was solved. There's a boss on the frame that sticks up around the grip screw holes and the E2 grips have a recess that is supposed to sit on those bosses. Give it a try.

One thing I observed about the E2's is that the grip cross section feels rounder and allows the gun to twist in my hand. I think I prefer more flat-sides grips.

Thanks will do! I agree with the twist part for my hands at least. E2s feel good, but it also allowed me to put too much finger on the trigger and my shots pulled left. With the original ones on my MK25 I seem to get just the right amount of finger on the trigger although the rest of the grip is a tad big. A good compromise.