PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Assault On Guam

3 AE
09-14-14, 17:38
Silent, slow, but deadly. 2000 members of the R.A.A.B., "Rodent Airborne Assault Battalion", were loaded out onto their choppers to carry out their one and only mission into a hostile landing zone on Guam today. According to anonymous sources, none survived the deadly mission. Those little fellers gave it their all so that others may live. Let it not be said that they gave their lives in vain. Please remember them in your prayers and pay tribute to them with a moment of silence at your next meal. Currahee, my brave little warriors, Currahee!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/two-thousand-mice-dropped-guam-parachute-kill-snakes-f2D11685572 :sad:

TriviaMonster
09-14-14, 20:12
That's a very clever plan, and I applaud them.

I do have pet rats, though, so I hope the mice didn't suffer terrible deaths.

Averageman
09-14-14, 20:19
There was blood upon the risers there was brains upon the 'chute, there was tylenol injected through their paratrooper suits.

Eurodriver
09-14-14, 20:50
Guam is home to an estimated 2 million of the reptiles, which in some areas reach a density of 13,000 per square mile — more concentrated than even in the Amazonian rainforests, the government says.

2000 mice to combat a problem that is 13,000/sq mile. Interesting.

Honu
09-14-14, 21:27
like how some of them were radio tagged :)

wish I could see a pick of those little chutes :)

MorphCross
09-14-14, 21:39
This story reminded me of this: Bat bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb).

3 AE
09-14-14, 22:29
This story reminded me of this: Bat bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb).

The infamous "Invasion by Bats" project was afterwards referred to by Dr. Stanley P. Lovell, director of research and development for Office of Strategic Services (OSS), whom General Donovan ordered to review the idea, as "Die Fledermaus Farce".[6] Lovell also mentioned that bats during testing were dropping to the ground like stones.[7]

Between the "Airborne Mice" and the "Bat Bomb", the stories reminded me of one of the classic moments on "WKRP In Cincinnati". :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

SteyrAUG
09-15-14, 02:31
Stand by for Guam to report an explosive mice population in 5 years since there are few natural predators left to keep them in check.

Mr blasty
09-15-14, 02:46
2000 mice to combat a problem that is 13,000/sq mile. Interesting.

Likely a test to start with.

Sent from my SM-T217T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Zim
09-15-14, 04:52
Stand by for Guam to report an explosive mice population in 5 years since there are few natural predators left to keep them in check.

Dead mice don't procreate.

ABNAK
09-15-14, 07:38

While mice are certainly disgusting vermin, if given the choice I'd take fur > scales!

Eurodriver
09-15-14, 08:31
I suggest people read the link before posting...

WillBrink
09-15-14, 09:08
"Once it's hung in the forest canopy, snakes have an opportunity to consume the bait."

I'm assuming that's already been tested on their end. Many snakes will only eat live bait.

SpeedRacer
09-15-14, 09:24
Having lived in Guam for 4 years, ANYTHING sounds like a good idea to get rid of those evil bastards. Those things are everywhere, after a while you just start running and screaming anytime you have to pass under a tree branch.

Eurodriver
09-15-14, 11:11
Having lived in Guam for 4 years, ANYTHING sounds like a good idea to get rid of those evil bastards. Those things are everywhere, after a while you just start running and screaming anytime you have to pass under a tree branch.

I don't know what it takes to get rid of them, but I saw the efforts Hawaii went through to keep them out.

About 4 years ago they arrested this guy with a couple of Boa Constrictors. I think he got TEN YEARS.

WillBrink
09-15-14, 12:18
I don't know what it takes to get rid of them, but I saw the efforts Hawaii went through to keep them out.

About 4 years ago they arrested this guy with a couple of Boa Constrictors. I think he got TEN YEARS.

Look at what snakes - that were pets released into the area - has now done to FL. FL's wild life is being destroyed. In a closed system like an island, the effect is magnified. I know Hawaii's bird population has been close to wiped out on some islands.

Mr blasty
09-15-14, 12:57
Look at what snakes - that were pets released into the area - has now done to FL. FL's wild life is being destroyed. In a closed system like an island, the effect is magnified. I know Hawaii's bird population has been close to wiped out on some islands.

As an experienced herper I get sick and tired of people trying to get a reptile just because they want something "different". There not toys and they are not playful! They take a very high level of dedication and knowledge that isn't for most. I get sick and tired of hearing about people getting a reptile only to find out its not cuddly and then just ditch it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

TriviaMonster
09-15-14, 13:02
As an experienced herper I get sick and tired of people trying to get a reptile just because they want something "different". There not toys and they are not playful! They take a very high level of dedication and knowledge that isn't for most. I get sick and tired of hearing about people getting a reptile only to find out its not cuddly and then just ditch it.

I agree. People toss reptiles much easier than other pets. And I also agree that reptiles are not fun. They are boring as crap. But they are eye candy for sure

Averageman
09-15-14, 13:11
I can't imagine walking home from the bar and being surrounded by a few that missed the drop zone.

Mr blasty
09-15-14, 13:16
I agree. People toss reptiles much easier than other pets. And I also agree that reptiles are not fun. They are boring as crap. But they are eye candy for sure

Most are just eye candy. Chameleons can die just from handling them. My wife and I have an entire room dedicated to reptiles and only a few can be handled. Only a couple of our iguanas and the snakes are up for it. When I first got into reptiles I thought that the herp community was full of snobby assholes. After I got into more I agree with their attitude. They want to keep the unserious people away. Pet stores and breeders will sell anything to anyone. That's how you get problems like Florida. Then people like me have to fight to maintain what we have available. When it comes to animals people need to stop being ignorant and try to learn something about them before they go screwing with things. That's how you get hogs raping the south and pythons trying to eat your dog in Florida.

Inkslinger
09-15-14, 13:25

Tell me about it. My best friends mother called me once freaking out about a huge lizard in her backyard. This is PA. not a place that you find random lizards chilling in your yard. I show up to find an almost 3' long iguana on her fence! I assume he got to big and whatever asshole that owned him just gave him the boot. I kept him for probably another 8 or 10 years till he died.

Mr blasty
09-15-14, 13:52
Tell me about it. My best friends mother called me once freaking out about a huge lizard in her backyard. This is PA. not a place that you find random lizards chilling in your yard. I show up to find an almost 3' long iguana on her fence! I assume he got to big and whatever asshole that owned him just gave him the boot. I kept him for probably another 8 or 10 years till he died.

I've pulled them out of snow banks just driving along. Some people are just freaking sick! Animals are living creatures, not toys. Many people don't deserve to own a pet of any kind. Makes me wonder how they take care of there children.

Turnkey11
10-11-16, 15:44
Why didnt they introduce Mongeese like Hawaii?

steyrman13
10-11-16, 16:20
Why didnt they introduce Mongeese like Hawaii?

That has proven to be an issue in Hawaii. They have no natural predator there so they are now becoming a nuisance and over populating.

Turnkey11
10-11-16, 17:37
That has proven to be an issue in Hawaii. They have no natural predator there so they are now becoming a nuisance and over populating.

Theyve been a nuisance in Hawaii for years, but they were introduced to kill rats, not snakes. Take them to Guam for the brown tree snakes, problem solved.

soulezoo
10-11-16, 20:26
especially in upland Maui. Where has Honu been hiding?

Firefly
10-11-16, 20:32
Ya know some Colt .22s and such could curb the mongoose problem.

soulezoo
10-11-16, 20:39
Ya know some Colt .22s and such could curb the mongoose problem.
Nah , the little bastards are too fast for that.

They can cross a road and go from cane field to ditch faster than you can bat an eye.

Firefly
10-11-16, 20:57
Nah , the little bastards are too fast for that.

They can cross a road and go from cane field to ditch faster than you can bat an eye.

Glue traps then execute them.