PDA

View Full Version : Home defense carbine suggestions.

Therealkoop
09-14-14, 22:18
Heres something I dont really do, general use/home defense carbines. Most everything I own is strictly for 3 gun. I picked up this Hodge rifle and now its what stays loaded around the home. I dropped a light and an Aimpoint on it, but Id rather run straight irons. Id hate to take parts off this thing, but was considering dropping the ALG brake for a flash hider of sorts. Any suggestions for muzzle devices? All I have in the box are bigass brakes and A2 flash hiders.

Thanks

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/Therealkoop/20140914_230250_zpscb009246.jpeg (http://s179.photobucket.com/user/Therealkoop/media/20140914_230250_zpscb009246.jpeg.html)

payj
09-14-14, 23:32
Hmm if you do a bit of research you will find lots of threads on this but, if it were me I would just pick up a 6920 and throw a t1 on it. Pretty basic. or a 6720 with a t1. Just depends on your budget I guess. HD guns can get pretty extravagant (just like any gun category I suppose).

Edit 2 mins later:

I just realized you want suggestions on the current gun. Tbh I have never heard of Hodge defense. Not sure what they are about. I will leave the above statement for you to ponder as they are proven platforms....

I would put a Surefire flashider on it or whatever devise that will work with the can you want if that is something you are planning on getting soon.

MistWolf
09-15-14, 00:04
I'd go ahead and rock the A2, keep the Aimpoint, light and add a sling. Then I'd take that rifle out and shoot it

fferik
09-15-14, 00:04
Assuming it's legal to own in your state, I'd get a flash hinder that's a suppressor mount. Might not have time to grab ear pro in a Home Defense situation.

If not, a linear comp might not he a bad idea. I'm assuming since you could afford a Hodge that price isn't really a factor for ya.

Wake27
09-15-14, 00:16
Is that their mod 2?

Iraqgunz
09-15-14, 00:19
Bravo Comp, Battle Comp, etc.... take your pick. When you blast it indoors your ears won't give a shit and neither will the person on the receiving end.

Therealkoop
09-15-14, 00:20
Its a one off built in support of the Task Force Dagger foundation. Won it at their 3 gun event this year.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually might have a BCM comp somewhere.

Wake27
09-15-14, 00:26
Its a one off built in support of the Task Force Dagger foundation. Won it at their 3 gun event this year.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually might have a BCM comp somewhere.

Interesting. They're kind of like unicorns around here right now.

Chiral
09-15-14, 06:27
I like the good ole a2. Simple inexpensive functional. Figure anything rifle caliber shot indoors is gonna hurt regardless of what you have on the end :)

M&P15T
09-15-14, 07:37
I'm also a fan of the BCM Gunfighter comp.

Although I will say I don't think it matters much for HD/SD, as long as there isn't blinding muzzle flash.

RMiller
09-15-14, 09:32
An Aimpoint will be suggested. However you can get away with irons. I do.

My top requirements for ANY HD long gun:

1). Proven reliability with the gun, mag, and ammo combination.
2). A good white light
3). A good 2 point sling
4) one could add ammo selection too, i.e. it's better to use an ammo designed for hd/sd/leo than fmj.

I'm a fan of simple. The A2 works. The only thing I would change on the rifle pictured would be the brake and then add a good sling.

Adding (or leaving it on in your case) a red dot is only a good thing. For people on a budget though, ammo and a good class/practice outweighs a red dot. YMMV.

MorphCross
09-15-14, 18:21
An Aimpoint will be suggested. However you can get away with irons. I do.

My top requirements for ANY HD long gun:

1). Proven reliability with the gun, mag, and ammo combination.
2). A good white light
3). A good 2 point sling
4) one could add ammo selection too, i.e. it's better to use an ammo designed for hd/sd/leo than fmj.

I'm a fan of simple. The A2 works. The only thing I would change on the rifle pictured would be the brake and then add a good sling.

Adding (or leaving it on in your case) a red dot is only a good thing. For people on a budget though, ammo and a good class/practice outweighs a red dot. YMMV.

Gotta agree with RMiller, get a sling, choose magazines you can trust to function in this rifle, and choose a good round to fit your home defense scenario. Bear in mind that the distances you typically shoot at inside a house are short. At the wee hours of the morning the lights inside your house will probably be off so having a white light ready to rock and a sights that you can pick up against the light are critical for acquire, sight, and shoot. In daylight the non-magnified red dot is nice for the speed of acquisition.

UrHero
09-17-14, 21:52
Chop the barrel, form 1 the thing as an SBR and get a suppressor. In a home.defense situation you don't really want to.be worried about swinging a 16" barrel around a corner, especially if you have kids... you'll want to keep family close to.you for their protection. Keep things as small and quiet as you can. This is the Reason.Costa prefers a suppressed pistol for.home defense. Leaves him.one hand free to hold family close and he doesn't need to.worry about ear pro

Trajan
09-18-14, 09:23
I would use it as is. Looks like a nice solid set up from a quality company. While I like the A2, since that gun is pretty light a brake isn't a bad thing to tame the muzzle. Both will blow out your hearing anyway. If you're really worried about it, buy a can.

I wouldn't worry about a sling for HD. Unless you have a holster on your boxers, you're not going to transition anyway.

SD pistols are too big. Might as well embrace a rifle and learn high port.

MistWolf
09-18-14, 10:45
Rifle slings are not about transitioning to a handgun

ptmccain
09-18-14, 11:14
Tell that to the one point sling guys who crack themselves in the nuts transitioning to a sidearm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Trajan
09-18-14, 11:27
Rifle slings are not about transitioning to a handgun

Well you're not hiking with your rifle in a HD scenario, nor using it to aid in support for long range shots which some people do, so what do you need it for?

To aid the BG when you get into a clinch with him?

snakedoctor
09-18-14, 11:42
If you're really that worried about muzzle flash, look at the B.E. Meyers prong flash hider.

El Cid
09-18-14, 11:54
Well you're not hiking with your rifle in a HD scenario, nor using it to aid in support for long range shots which some people do, so what do you need it for?

To aid the BG when you get into a clinch with him?

There are a thousand different possibilities why you might need your hands free. Grabbing a kid(s) or elderly family member and carrying them to a secure part of the house... lifting something heavy that has fallen on someone... rendering medical aid... grabbing a dogs collar while opening a door...

Too many people have these odd fantasies that HD is going to be like some video game shootout, and then all will be safe so you can just set down your blaster and light up a cigar. The part I don't get is that a sling is typically the least expensive piece of kit on a rifle, and it's the part that is most used. Why do so many seem to have such an aversion to slings that they come up with crazy excuses for why they aren't necessary??

ptmccain
09-18-14, 12:53
The old saying is correct: a sling is like a holster for your rifle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Talon167
09-18-14, 13:45
I'd say anything small. SBR or AR pistol with the Sig brace. I like the idea of having an RDS (especially something like an Aimpoint where you can leave it on all the time) over irons. Irons may be difficult to use in a low-light/no-light situation. Get a quality light on it you're comfortable with and you should be gtg.

If I were in your situation I'd probably end up with the following:

DD MK18 pistol with brace
T1
BUIS
X300U and mount.

Trajan
09-18-14, 18:46
There are a thousand different possibilities why you might need your hands free. Grabbing a kid(s) or elderly family member and carrying them to a secure part of the house... lifting something heavy that has fallen on someone... rendering medical aid... grabbing a dogs collar while opening a door...

Too many people have these odd fantasies that HD is going to be like some video game shootout, and then all will be safe so you can just set down your blaster and light up a cigar. The part I don't get is that a sling is typically the least expensive piece of kit on a rifle, and it's the part that is most used. Why do so many seem to have such an aversion to slings that they come up with crazy excuses for why they aren't necessary??I had a long reply written out, but deleted it.

All I will say is this: Unless you sleep with an IFAK on, rendering medical support while you're clearing your house is much more fantasy than some dude jumping out from behind something in your house and gaining control over your rifle via the sling because you didn't have time to put the sling on or you forgot about it.

Flashlight with pistol leaves no free hands, and boxers no pockets, so with a carbine you at least have one hand free.

FWIW my HD carbine has a sling, but that's because primarily 1. I'm not worried about burglars/home invaders (but if it happens I can deal with it). 2. I'm lazy.

Caduceus
09-18-14, 19:14
I had a long reply written out, but deleted it.

All I will say is this: Unless you sleep with an IFAK on, rendering medical support while you're clearing your house is much more fantasy than some dude jumping out from behind something in your house and gaining control over your rifle via the sling because you didn't have time to put the sling on or you forgot about it.

Flashlight with pistol leaves no free hands, and boxers no pockets, so with a carbine you at least have one hand free.

FWIW my HD carbine has a sling, but that's because primarily 1. I'm not worried about burglars/home invaders (but if it happens I can deal with it). 2. I'm lazy.
I don't know if I agree 100%. Not every one plans to clear their house. I'd rather hunker down with my bedroom door locked and my AR pointed towards the door and just wait. I have a kid in the house (her bedroom has a door to the restroom too, so better to bring her into mine). After clearing that 10 feet between rooms, I plan to let the police earn their paltry salary clearing my house.

But if I or my wife (or God forbid, my daughter) get injured, it's possible that we'd need a FAK. I have an pseudo-IFAK on my 'battle belt' that's kept in my closet, which can be used in a pinch. And before it's asked, it's there because a closet is where things get stored, not because I plan to put on 20 lbs of battle rattle before stepping into the above mentioned hallway. Otherwise, it's "care under fire" principles, where fire superiority is priority #1.

Anyway, we're off topic from the OP, so I'll shut up. Just want to throw out that some sort of first aid could be necessary.

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-14, 19:25
Just get you a pump action 12 gauge shotgun, all you'll have to do is rack the slide anyway.

:jester:

On a series note, drop the break you have and throw on one of the A2's you have laying around. Done.

TexanInCali
09-18-14, 19:37
...because you didn't have time to put the sling on or you forgot about it.

"Putting on" your rifle with the sling should be part of your training. It's gotten so ingrained for me that I feel weird holding a rifle without having the sling on. It'd be like not wearing your seatbelt in a car.

A sling is the most important piece of gear for an HD carbine precisely to enhance retention.

Outlander Systems
09-18-14, 19:38
Why do so many seem to have such an aversion to slings that they come up with crazy excuses for why they aren't necessary??

Because they blew their wad on the accessories that have the least $ to performance ratio...nifty color-matched stocks and forends.

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-14, 19:43

My go to bump in the night tool is a G17 with a 600+ lumen white light attached and 33rd mag. That leaves me one free hand to dial a cell phone, control my GSD, and or manipulate door knobs and locking mechanisms. YMMV.

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-14, 19:44
"Putting on" your rifle with the sling should be part of your training. It's gotten so ingrained for me that I feel weird holding a rifle without having the sling on. It'd be like not wearing your seatbelt in a car.

A sling is the most important piece of gear for an HD carbine precisely to enhance retention.

You sir just nailed the X-ring.

MorphCross
09-18-14, 22:11

And if you are wearing the sling properly no home invader is going to be able to turn it into a neck tourniquet against you.
In home defense, you should always favor control of your own rifle over a $50 spot.

Iraqgunz
09-19-14, 02:24
Let's not turn this into a another Home Defense 101 thread.

TexanInCali
09-19-14, 14:33
How is a discussion about whether to add a sling to a home defense carbine off topic?

ptmccain
09-19-14, 15:27
If my weapon of choice for HD was an AR, I'd go with an SBR, noise be darned, and yes...a sling as well, a good light on it, an Aimpoint T-1 and spare mags to stuff into your back pocket or whatever pocket. I still think the best HD weapon is a shotgun though.

Koshinn
09-19-14, 15:33
I still think the best HD weapon is a shotgun though.

Really? On M4Carbine .net from a long time and well read member?

Or be ye trollin?

Outlander Systems
09-19-14, 16:40

Or be ye trollin?

This thread just went straight down the shitter.

Iraqgunz
09-20-14, 01:26
Been here a bit, but I wouldn't consider him well-read.

Or be ye trollin?

bigheadcal
09-20-14, 18:02
colt 6920 or stock LMT with elzetta light and vickers sling

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 09:07
What about a TAVOR? It can meet all of the criteria for HD gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 09:09
TAVOR is shorter than any AR SBR and it has full lengths barrel.

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 09:11
My HD gun

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 09:13
To keep it on the down low. :0)

El Cid
09-21-14, 12:42
To keep it on the down low. :0)

It's hard to tell... Is that an ACOG? Why would you use a magnified optic for a home defense rifle??

Oh, and you can edit your posts instead of doing 4 back to back. If by chance you're trying to run up your post count, that's frowned upon here.

Outlander Systems
09-21-14, 12:50
My HD gun

You must live in a BIG house.

MorphCross
09-21-14, 15:51
It's hard to tell... Is that an ACOG? Why would you use a magnified optic for a home defense rifle??

Oh, and you can edit your posts instead of doing 4 back to back. If by chance you're trying to run up your post count, that's frowned upon here.

You must live in a BIG house.

I could be wrong, but it looks like he had an RDS on top of the ACOG. Wouldn't be my first choice but if it works for him it works.

I am curious to find out what all AverajeJo has done to mitigate the notorious back blast from his Tavor when running it suppressed in the house. I know that each firearm has specific methods, just curious to find out the specifics.

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 17:18
I could be wrong, but it looks like he had an RDS on top of the ACOG. Wouldn't be my first choice but if it works for him it works.

I am curious to find out what all AverajeJo has done to mitigate the notorious back blast from his Tavor when running it suppressed in the house. I know that each firearm has specific methods, just curious to find out the specifics.

Hi Morph,
Good question. I have done nothing as the back blast is not that bad-- it is there and I have accepted that fact. Also on the top of ACOG is RMR and it is set up for 50 yards and less ( no batteries makes it nice as I am always the guy that has a dead batteries when it's time to rock).

I always wanted to have a gun that can kind of do it all. CQ and out to 600m...... you know as things often move from inside to outside quite quick. Israeli designed this gun to fight war in the city, building to building and at the same time be able to hit the targets out to 600m in the desert. My other option was to have a different gun for the outside but than I will have to sling two guns. I would rather lug a good body armor. Maybe I am thinking too much about it...weird.
Don't get me wrong I am all pro for having many guns as I do I just need to have a "go to gun" for many applications that includes the HD gun---- that's it I mean that's the gun.

Edit: not to contradict myself but I am not sure that 5.56 is good for HD, it is just something that I chose. Having said that, I know tavor just came-out with 9mm conversion. Imagine 9mm tavor that takes glock 33 round mags. My mouth is watering. :0)

eng208
09-29-14, 08:19
The setup in that photo looks fine for HD in my opinion. It needs a good two point sling, VTAC or Vickers. I have pretty much the same set up but a PRO, G2 light and a VTAC sling. The one time I have deployed mine in actual use over the last 6 years was involving a roaming bulldog that had attacked and nearly killed my lab at dusk. It worked perfectly. This of course was outside, but it would work inside as well. I would suggest a flash hider instead of a brake. Inside in low light the brake is going to blind you.

AverajeJo
09-30-14, 16:16
Good points. I am working on the flashlight for this toy and yesterday I did remove the brake and installed brakeout 2.0. Did not test yet but hoping to do it this weekend. Thanks for good ideas.

Wake27
09-30-14, 17:26
Good points. I am working on the flashlight for this toy and yesterday I did remove the brake and installed brakeout 2.0. Did not test yet but hoping to do it this weekend. Thanks for good ideas.

You removed one brake to replace with another?

AverajeJo
09-30-14, 17:35
Well I removed it due to the use of a crush washer as I was instructed by AAC with regard to mounting a suppressor. This worked good as it is a decent flash hider and a good brake. I will test the flash hider side and I hope that the flash is manageable. I just did not want to have a baffle strike although it was ok with the crush washer it was just always in the back of my mined. Now it's right.

AverajeJo
09-30-14, 17:57
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/741ec9a5d13eea6a4752238d3f34f878.jpg

vicious_cb
09-30-14, 18:00
Hi Morph,
Good question. I have done nothing as the back blast is not that bad-- it is there and I have accepted that fact. Also on the top of ACOG is RMR and it is set up for 50 yards and less ( no batteries makes it nice as I am always the guy that has a dead batteries when it's time to rock).

I always wanted to have a gun that can kind of do it all. CQ and out to 600m...... you know as things often move from inside to outside quite quick. Israeli designed this gun to fight war in the city, building to building and at the same time be able to hit the targets out to 600m in the desert. My other option was to have a different gun for the outside but than I will have to sling two guns. I would rather lug a good body armor. Maybe I am thinking too much about it...weird.
Don't get me wrong I am all pro for having many guns as I do I just need to have a "go to gun" for many applications that includes the HD gun---- that's it I mean that's the gun.

Edit: not to contradict myself but I am not sure that 5.56 is good for HD, it is just something that I chose. Having said that, I know tavor just came-out with 9mm conversion. Imagine 9mm tavor that takes glock 33 round mags. My mouth is watering. :0)

Seems like you are just all over the place with your set up. More practice and a training class will get you honed in on whats effective for your needs.

AverajeJo
09-30-14, 18:01
Haha yes I am all over the place

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 18:11
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/343/343064.jpg

AverajeJo
09-30-14, 18:12
This is nice but I can't mount a suppressor on this.

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 18:33
My GOD lock this thread!

Wake27
09-30-14, 22:53

Your primary home defense gun is going to have a 16" barrel and a suppressor?

MorphCross
09-30-14, 23:18
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/343/343064.jpg

I could be wrong but the suppressor that AverejeJo was showing was an AAC that mounts to the 51 tooth mount.

There are suppressors that can mount to the std. A2 flash hider. But as it is apparent that you use the 51 tooth mount AAC...

My GOD lock this thread!

You should try to take the time to comprehend what people are saying rather than SHOUTING frustration on the forum.

Tavor is about as reasonable as any other firearm for home defense and there are no tax stamps involved in the rifle itself. He is also using an RMR as his close in sight, which again is not my main choice but if it works for him it works.

AverajeJo
10-01-14, 16:30

Hi Wake,
Well yes it has a 16" inch barrel however it is quite short due to bull pop configuration and thus makes it nice inside the house and out. The suppressor I use on it only because I have it. I am not planing to use it in the hd situation as it take time to install it. I was also thinking to use my sig556 SBR with 10" barrel for hd but the muzzle blast from it is just too much, due to short barrel and powerful cartridge. So I am thinking that my go to hd gun is tavor. What do you guys think?

AverajeJo
10-01-14, 16:35

AverajeJo
10-01-14, 16:36
If I shoot this inside the house I think the house will catch on fire lol

elephantrider
10-01-14, 19:13
You should try to take the time to comprehend what people are saying rather than SHOUTING frustration on the forum.

I think he understands what is being said just fine. I suspect he is simply reacting to the general ridiculousness that keeps coming from AverajeJo. This thread is off the rails a bit and needs to be set right, or locked up.

Outlander Systems
10-01-14, 19:51
I think he understands what is being said just fine. I suspect he is simply reacting to the general ridiculousness that keeps coming from AverajeJo. This thread is off the rails a bit and needs to be set right, or locked up.

Winner-Winner: Chicken Dinner.

; )

Wake27
10-01-14, 22:46
Hi Wake,
Well yes it has a 16" inch barrel however it is quite short due to bull pop configuration and thus makes it nice inside the house and out. The suppressor I use on it only because I have it. I am not planing to use it in the hd situation as it take time to install it. I was also thinking to use my sig556 SBR with 10" barrel for hd but the muzzle blast from it is just too much, due to short barrel and powerful cartridge. So I am thinking that my go to hd gun is tavor. What do you guys think?

Oh I was still thinking that the Hodge on page 1 was what you were suppressing.

AverajeJo
10-02-14, 10:25
Got it

Emtothedee
10-02-14, 14:06
nothing like asking for advise on your lifeline from a group of people who's level of expertise on the subject extends as far as hypothetical situations and solutions they've come up with in their head. "Slings are dumb odds are you wont be doing blah blah blah" or "you need a flash hider because this this and this will happen when you shoot with the lights out blah blah blah listen to me omg you're so dumb for having a brake good luck hearing after, oh look my call of duty game started again ill be right back newbs". I say if you've never done any darkness training in a small room and have no experience on setups in regards to home defense other than what you've read on other m4carbine threads, than you should just tag it and wait for responses from someone who has instead of spouting how you would set up your rifle because of this possible made up situation that you have no experience in training anyways. "But if we did that the thread would die". We can only hope.

AverajeJo
10-02-14, 14:56
So much negativity .... What gives good friends? I was just trying to get some know how in my set up. I will stop posting. Thanks for your help whoever was giving me good input. Bye

tostado22
10-02-14, 23:23
What just happened?...

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track. I also suggest a sling. Without getting into outrageous hypotheticals I can't think of too many cons to having a good 2 point sling. The A2 flash hider has never done me wrong, either.

Another one to consider is the Noveske KX3 or KX5. I've never shot one but I've heard they take the edge off of the concussion. Hopefully someone who currently owns one will be able to give a better opinion of the KX3

RMiller
10-03-14, 05:32
I'd be careful grouping members together with a generalized statement like this. Many members here are mil/leo, trained citizens (read as trained by people who know what they're doing), or industry professionals.

If you want to call individuals out on ridiculous advise, do it. I'd ask them to site a source. I know my sources (including training), and why I have my rifle and a pistol both set up for HD the way they are. There's some very solid advise in this thread, and well, some that's not.

But please don't generalize everybody here as talking out of their derriere.

nothing like asking for advise on your lifeline from a group of people who's level of expertise on the subject extends as far as hypothetical situations and solutions they've come up with in their head. "Slings are dumb odds are you wont be doing blah blah blah" or "you need a flash hider because this this and this will happen when you shoot with the lights out blah blah blah listen to me omg you're so dumb for having a brake good luck hearing after, oh look my call of duty game started again ill be right back newbs". I say if you've never done any darkness training in a small room and have no experience on setups in regards to home defense other than what you've read on other m4carbine threads, than you should just tag it and wait for responses from someone who has instead of spouting how you would set up your rifle because of this possible made up situation that you have no experience in training anyways. "But if we did that the thread would die". We can only hope.

AverajeJo
10-03-14, 05:34
I'd be careful grouping members together with a generalized statement like this. Many members here are mil/leo, trained citizens (read as trained by people who know what they're doing), or industry professionals.

If you want to call individuals out on ridiculous advise, do it. I'd ask them to site a source. I know my sources (including training), and why I have my rifle and a pistol both set up for HD the way they are. There's some very solid advise in this thread, and well, some that's not.

But please don't generalize everybody here as talking out of their derriere.

I could not have said better. !!!

RMiller
10-03-14, 05:37
What just happened?...

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track. I also suggest a sling. Without getting into outrageous hypotheticals I can't think of too many cons to having a good 2 point sling. The A2 flash hider has never done me wrong, either.

Another one to consider is the Noveske KX3 or KX5. I've never shot one but I've heard they take the edge off of the concussion. Hopefully someone who currently owns one will be able to give a better opinion of the KX3

My A2 has never done me wrong either.

I think there may have been some confusion about who was the OP, but in the first post he mentioned he had the humongous brake pictured and a bunch of A2's. I think many here recommended the A2 simply because the OP had them.

Warp
10-03-14, 09:46
Hi Wake,

Why not keep your HD rifle of choice in its ready-location with the suppressor already attached?

I think if it were me I would keep the suppressor on an SBR and consider that my primary HD rifle.

TehLlama
10-03-14, 10:03
We haven't heard back a ton from the OP, but just installing an A2 on that setup would result in an excellent carbine, and it's still something that trumps a stock 18" shotgun for OAL and has a sound WML setup.

I'm with Warp - anybody with a reliable functioning 10" SBR capable of mounting a can who would run something else without great justification for indoor defensive applications is way wide of the mark - unless you have a caliber that will happily run on an even shorter barrel, that's my ideal do-all + HD setup. If you can afford a tax stamp, you can absolutely afford another muzzle device to run it, and a suppressed SBR that has an OAL that would still fall under SBR is just a phenomenally awesome setup... try it, run it, TRAIN and you'll either agree, or be able to come back here with relevant feedback we'd be excited to hear.

MistWolf
10-03-14, 10:17
My A2 has never done me wrong either.

I think there may have been some confusion about who was the OP, but in the first post he mentioned he had the humongous brake pictured and a bunch of A2's. I think many here recommended the A2 simply because the OP had them.

That was one reason. I also find, both as a shooter and as a bystander, brakes are more obnoxious than the A2 when used indoors (or outdoors). The A2 is about the lightest muzzle device for the AR. Finally, if the shooter isn't sure what muzzle device to use, shooting with the A2 gives a good starting reference. Since Therealkoop has A2s on hand, I figured he might as well give it a go. If he doesn't like the A2 it's easily swapped

Omaha419
10-03-14, 10:19
I am another one who highly recommends the Battle Comp for a muzzle device.

RMiller
10-03-14, 11:01
I agree.

That was one reason. I also find, both as a shooter and as a bystander, brakes are more obnoxious than the A2 when used indoors (or outdoors). The A2 is about the lightest muzzle device for the AR. Finally, if the shooter isn't sure what muzzle device to use, shooting with the A2 gives a good starting reference. Since Therealkoop has A2s on hand, I figured he might as well give it a go. If he doesn't like the A2 it's easily swapped

AverajeJo
10-03-14, 11:04
Why not keep your HD rifle of choice in its ready-location with the suppressor already attached?

I think if it were me I would keep the suppressor on an SBR and consider that my primary HD rifle.

I like this direction friends.

BufordTJustice
10-03-14, 11:33
It's as pricey as a Battle Comp, but I just picked up a Precision Armament EFAB that i posted about in the technical forum. Initial impressions are favorable. For the shooter, blast has been nearly identical to an A2 when I tested it back to back. It's heavy, at 3.5oz. But, it's a smooth shooter and is very neutral; I'm getting no muzzle rise or muzzle dip on my carbine. Thread derail = over.