PDA

View Full Version : Trigger replacement for Colt AR LE920

telebooger
09-15-14, 11:09
I'm fairly new to the AR world but have been shooting for 40 years or so, mostly bolt guns and handguns. The trigger that came with my Colt is, from my experience, unacceptable. It has lots of creep and then a medium heavy pull. I can tolerate a heavy trigger pull, but a crisp trigger is necessary. What kind of trigger replacements can you recommend? Does anyone else think their trigger in this rifle is terrible?
Thanks

one
09-15-14, 11:12
The 6920 I bought over a year ago had a pretty decent trigger in it. Surprised me. On the other hand a friend of mine just got a Colt Magpul edition a couple of weeks ago and it's trigger was markedly different in her gun than in mine. Nowhere near as good. So there's some variations in feel or fit coming down the line.

Personally I'm a Geissele user now. I think it's what you'll get the most responses towards in this forum and others. http://geissele.com/

Onyx Z
09-15-14, 11:29
Do a search for Geissele. Best AR triggers out there.

MistWolf
09-15-14, 12:01
Before replacing the current trigger, pull it out, clean the parts, lube the sears, the pin holes and the bottom curve of the hammer with grease and re-install. Sometimes, the grease makes enough difference that you can live with the trigger. If it doesn't, get the Geissele G2S or SSA. Both are two stage triggers with a good break at a pull weight that's just heavy enough for defense work. The G2S is more economical than the SSA and the pull maybe not quite as clean.

The SSA-E has a crisper break but lighter pull than the SSA but costs more. I don't think it's worth the difference unless you're putting the SSA-E in a precision rifle.

Some will recommend the Timney trigger, which is a single stage. The G triggers are better engineered for use in a self loading rifle. To achieve a single stage pull with little to no creep, the Timney uses a very short sear engagement. The standard AR trigger the G triggers use a long sear engagement (which is why the standard trigger has lots of creep and the G triggers are two stage) for safety. It keeps the hammer from falling during rough handling or other condition that can result in sear bounce. The Timney, with it's short sear engagement, doesn't offer protection against sear bounce and instead uses a half cock position to catch the hammer if it should fall without the trigger being pulled.

I haven't heard that the Timney triggers has problems with sear bounce and they do make a quality trigger (I've got one in one of my bolt action rifles) but I prefer the security of the long sear engagement in a self loading rifle. With the bolt action, if it suffers from sear bounce, it will only fire one shot, which is bad enough. The self loading rifle has the potential for firing until the mag is empty

Jesse H
09-15-14, 14:10
My 6920 felt like a 5 stage trigger out the box. Got an ALG ACT trigger as a gift. Prior to installing the trigger I wanted to zero in the Aimpoint so I CLP'd the bolt, barrel and trigger group for the range. Just getting CLP on the trigger group cleaned it up to acceptable levels.

Of course the ACT was an improvement over that.

Ryno12
09-15-14, 14:29
ALG QMS

Best $45 upgrade, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
09-15-14, 17:13
ALG QMS

Best $45 upgrade, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either go with this for a budget choice or get the Geissele SSA - its really the gold standard in AR triggers.

RazorBurn
09-15-14, 20:55
The factory trigger on my 6920 was the nastiest, grittiest trigger I've ever felt in my life. After removing it, cleaning and lubing it, then a few dry fire sessions and range trips it smoothed out. It's the only AR I have now with the factory trigger left in it. I highly recommend a Geissele SSA. I have them in two of my other AR's, and they are heads and shoulders above a factory trigger. One of these days, assuming I keep the 6920 it will get either an SSA or a G2S. Probably a G2S especially if Aimsurplus puts them on sale again.

billybronco
09-15-14, 21:01
Just put a G2S in my mothers 6920. Best bang for the buck. Such a good deal.

TehLlama
09-16-14, 00:25
I'm fairly new to the AR world but have been shooting for 40 years or so, mostly bolt guns and handguns. The trigger that came with my Colt is, from my experience, unacceptable. It has lots of creep and then a medium heavy pull. I can tolerate a heavy trigger pull, but a crisp trigger is necessary. What kind of trigger replacements can you recommend? Does anyone else think their trigger in this rifle is terrible?
Thanks

The next time somewhere like AIM is running screaming deals on Geissele G2S triggers (were $110 Shipped recently), just get one. The Geissele's are triggers I have the following disclaimer for: don't try one unless you're prepared to have Geissele stuff in every AR15 lower you own. I now own 6 SSA's and 2 SSA-E's.

Wake27
09-16-14, 01:03
The next time somewhere like AIM is running screaming deals on Geissele G2S triggers (were $110 Shipped recently), just get one. The Geissele's are triggers I have the following disclaimer for: don't try one unless you're prepared to have Geissele stuff in every AR15 lower you own. I now own 6 SSA's and 2 SSA-E's.

Damn I didn't know they did that...

weggy
09-16-14, 01:28
I've put Wilson TTUs in all my ARs. They make both single and 2 stage triggers, and I've been very happy with them. The Geisseles are very nice though! :confused:

jet66
09-16-14, 07:29
ALG QMS

Best $45 upgrade, IMO.

I just swapped out my 'broken in' 6920 trigger with a QMS, much better. The Colt kit, even after a few thousand rounds, still had a little bit of a gritty creep to it. The two QMS I have have been consistently 'grit-free.' A sample size of two is by no means incontrovertible proof of anything, of course. My first one has a couple thousand rounds on it, still feels great, so I figured it was worth swapping one in place of the OEM Colt parts. If there is any creep at all, it is minimal. If you are a gov't-style-trigger-only kinda guy, the QMS is an excellent choice.

The ACT is also nice, for not a lot of money. I have one of those as well, and it feels just a tad more 'slick' with a similarly crisp break, but I don't know if it is worth the extra cost over the QMS. (Not that it's a lot of $ in difference.) To be fair, it could also just be that knowing it has the plating that influences my perception.

kutz
09-16-14, 07:37
Timny

WadeP
09-16-14, 19:14
Timney for single stage.
Geissele for two stage.

scottryan
09-16-14, 20:21
The OP needs white light, red dot, and sling before he needs a new trigger.

A aftermarket trigger is a 3rd tier priority when it comes to a combat rifle.

extremist
09-17-14, 20:30
I've put Wilson TTUs in all my ARs. They make both single and 2 stage triggers, and I've been very happy with them. The Geisseles are very nice though! :confused:

+1 ;) Where's the like button ? I love my Wilson TTUs and have them in my go-to ARs.

James

RMiller
09-18-14, 10:32
The OP needs white light, red dot, and sling before he needs a new trigger.

A aftermarket trigger is a 3rd tier priority when it comes to a combat rifle.

Ding ding ding.

ryantx23
09-18-14, 10:48
I can't even begin to describe how awful my stock 6920 trigger is. Unfortunately, it is my issued work rifle and I have to leave it stock. The majority of our 6920's, mine included are large pin lowers and the only viable option for that is a large pin SSA kit from Bill Geissele. Speaking of that, any of you other 6920 owners have a gun with the .169 large pins? Pretty much all of the large pin 6920's that my agency has have horrible, rough and creepy triggers. "It's like dragging it through concrete" is one of the most popular comparisons.

MistWolf
09-18-14, 10:51
I can't even begin to describe how awful my stock 6920 trigger is. Unfortunately, it is my issued work rifle and I have to leave it stock. The majority of our 6920's, mine included are large pin lowers and the only viable option for that is a large pin SSA kit from Bill Geissele. Speaking of that, any of you other 6920 owners have a gun with the .169 large pins? Pretty much all of the large pin 6920's that my agency has have horrible, rough and creepy triggers. "It's like dragging it through concrete" is one of the most popular comparisons.

GREASE IT

lt211
09-18-14, 11:02
I have 3 (large pin) two broke in beautifully, very short and crisp. The other is that bad but over all Colt triggers break in nice in my experience. I usually dry fire the piss out of a new ar and then spray the lower with break free CLP and use a air compresser to blow it out. It leaves a nice film between the pins / receiver and such. A little grease on the trigger and it's like night and day... But not so on my one large pin which I will replace with the SSA-Enhanced. I will use this as a precision lower.

mbpike22
09-18-14, 11:08
I'd read about every trigger that Geissele has to offer, pick the one that you think suits your needs the best. I'm a big fan of the SSA-E.

ryantx23
09-18-14, 11:10
I have actually 3 (large pin) two broke in beautifully, very short and crisp. The other is that bad but over all Colt triggers break in nice in my experience. I usually dry fire the piss out of a new ar and then spray the lower with break free CLP and use a air compresser to blow it out. It leaves a nice film between the pins / receiver and such. A little grease on the trigger and it's like night and day... But not so on my one large pin which I will replace with the SSA-Enhanced. I will use this as a precision lower.

My next step is taking the trigger and hammer out and letting them heat up in the sun or the oven until they are hot to the touch and then applying froglube. Hopefully that will help, but my confidence isn't exactly high that it's going to make much of a difference. Some of our triggers are better than others, but NONE hold a candle to a G trigger (Even their QMS and ACT line).

lt211
09-18-14, 11:18
It would be awesome if they offered the LP in the QMS a& ACT.. No such luck

ryantx23
09-18-14, 11:27
It would be awesome if they offered the LP in the QMS a& ACT.. No such luck

I agree totally. That would be nice for sure!

RMiller
09-18-14, 12:15
And we have another winner!

Granted, I do have a QMS in my rifle, the only reason I do is it came with the LPK I ordered. Otherwise it would have been a standard fcg in there. Cleaning and some moly ep grease goes a long way. Also, use, either live fire or dry firing, helps tremendously as well.

GREASE IT

Metric Matt
09-18-14, 21:53

Have you tried polishing the engagement surfaces with fine grit crocus cloth? I've had good results smoothing out some pretty horrible stock AR trigger assemblies doing this. I just lay a sheet over a very flat surface, I use a piece of heavy aluminum plate, and use a small straight edge wrapped in a strip of cloth for the hard to get to surfaces. You obviously want to keep the surfaces as flat as possible, and not get carried away and remove too much material. This is not a job for the dremmel, do it by hand and take your time.

Beat Trash
09-19-14, 09:11
I own a few 6920's. There is a difference in the trigger from gun to gun. A dab of grease on the contact points helps break things in to a point.

I totally agree that a white light and a decent sling should be on the gun before a new trigger.

If you are aware enough of the trigger to be unhappy with it, then I would strongly suggest you look at a Geissele SSA trigger. It's amazing.

joeyjoe
09-19-14, 10:45
I suppose there is just no knowing whether one will get a solid mil-spec trigger or not. All of my lowers are either Colt or BCM. Although ive thrown ALG ACTs into most guns, unequivocally, the Colts had the best stock FCGs. who knows.

Jesse H
09-20-14, 00:29
Curious thought...

We all understand properly greasing the contact points on a FCG helps clean up the trigger feel. Would a dry trigger possibly break-in quicker because the contact points wear quicker due to more friction?

l8apex
09-20-14, 00:44
Running a Geissele SDC on my Colt. Also have a SDE on a variable optic AR. Personally prefer SD or CMC triggers. YMMV

John Hearne
09-20-14, 15:36
For those with large pin 6920's, Colt offers an "enhanced" trigger that uses large pins and is a very fine trigger. Running down the parts isn't easy but it is a Colt factory trigger for those concerned with liability issues.