PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries SS Gen 2 Keymod or?

BenY 2013
09-16-14, 17:41
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the AR15 game. Got my 1st gun put together and decided I didn't like the current free float handguard. It's a POF handguard, but not a POF upper. So I'm going to sell this handguard and looking for a 15" keymod handguard. I really like everything I have seen of the Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS so far. I like the bipod stud at the front since I will be running a bipod most of the time. "DMR' type rifle. Will this handguard stand up to some abuse? I'm not super hard on my guns but I want them to be able to handle just about anything. Or is there a better option out there for about the same price $200ish? I appreciate the help!

Ben

MadtactiX
09-21-14, 02:16
Hey man,

New to the forums too, not so new to AR's. I really like my Midwest Industries SS Gen2 15" handguard. It's not the "keymod", couldn't justify the extra bucks on something I personally don't need. So far, everything you're looking for in a handguard (lightweight, durable, ease of customization...) this thing is it! I've got a "DMR" style rifle built, I keep the bipod off mostly because it's easier to carry without it, though, it's in a pouch close by. Troy Alpha Rail would be my 2nd choice in this arena.

Hope this helps in your choice!

Benito
09-21-14, 18:40
As far as slim lightweight handguards go, I am a big fan of the Noveske NSR. BCM's KMR seems like an awesome option as well.
The price is a bit higher on these, but the quality is outstanding.

birdkiller
09-21-14, 21:14
Are you looking for keymod, or just a tubular hand guard? The SSK from Midwest is their keymod hand guard, it's great, very lightweight, gets good reviews, built in sling swivels, etc. I have one on my primary AR. However, it does not have a sling stud/bipod mount like you mentioned, although it wouldn't be hard to add a keymod adapter from Impact Weapon Components.

My default recommendations (that I have personal experience with) for a lightweight tubular hand guard would be an SSK from Midwest/any variation of it like the SS gen2/M-LOK version or the KMR from BCM.

RMiller
09-22-14, 06:24
My recommendation would depend on what your budget is, and how you want to set it up.

I run my handguard slick, and all I use is the top rail for my front sight and a wml at 12 o'clock. I use the older MI SS Gen II 12" and it works very well for me.

Now, if you were planning to use the keymod feature, to attach the light, and a vfg, etc..... a rail like the MI SSK would work, and if no real budget in mind, the BCM KMR.

Renegade04
09-22-14, 10:01
I recently did a build with the Mi SS G2 (non-keymod). Since I am not running a bipod, I had no need to attach the stud. I do like it for the fact that it is really light weight, which is what I wanted for this build. It mounts easily with the barrel nut (and wrench) that is supplied and it locks up nice and tight. I am sure it would work well with a bipod.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/002_zpsdbb1ef98.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/002_zpsdbb1ef98.jpg.html)

yhmspecter
09-22-14, 14:49
I have a Midwest LW keymod handguard on a LW build I did for my wife..I bought it due to great reviews and was looking for something comparable to the KMR from BCM with a smaller budget in mind. So far it has yet to disappoint, and with a set of the panels they offer and a handstop its one of the better rails at a smaller price point, I say the same as already stated if budget restricted go MI, if doll hairs is not a problem go BCM KMR.. Or get the MI and qd sling mount and a BFG VCAS, or a Proctor sling

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14754652289_354d3d4841_b.jpg

Cumminspowa
09-25-14, 13:13
I also put together a light weight rifle using a MI keymod hand guard. I used their newest free float and I can say the quality is very nice and it is very solid. You won't be disappointed if you get one.

BenY 2013
09-26-14, 19:03
I really appreciate the replies guys! Love the pictures as well! I actually ended up with an Odin Works 15.5" KMOD. So far I really like it, just waiting on a torque wrench so I can install it!

Ben

Shao
09-26-14, 20:02
I run a 15" SS Gen 2 as well as a 15" SSK. The SSK is slightly lighter and has keymod capabilities but the Gen 2 just looks nicer to me.

mpom
09-27-14, 09:41
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the AR15 game. Got my 1st gun put together and decided I didn't like the current free float handguard. It's a POF handguard, but not a POF upper. So I'm going to sell this handguard and looking for a 15" keymod handguard. I really like everything I have seen of the Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS so far. I like the bipod stud at the front since I will be running a bipod most of the time. "DMR' type rifle. Will this handguard stand up to some abuse? I'm not super hard on my guns but I want them to be able to handle just about anything. Or is there a better option out there for about the same price $200ish? I appreciate the help!

Ben

Since you purchased a handguard, hope its all that you were hoping for, but I can add a data point to someone else considering a handguard. Went with a 12" Ranier Force Keymod and like it. Also available in 15" I believe. Very light, slim, reasonable price and great mounting system. Comes with shims so timing should be easy.