PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an AR, and advice

LDB
09-16-14, 20:04
I plan to buy an AR as soon as I make up my mind what I want. I hope to learn a lot here to supplement what I've learned elsewhere and make a final decision. Some info to hopefully help get some suggestions and input. I like shooting but don't care so much for cleaning/inspecting. I don't like recoil and would like to find a rifle that is similar to my 10/22 although I know it can't be that soft shooting. I have no real AR experience other than researching/shopping. I want a rifle to enjoy for the next 10-20 years or however long I have left to enjoy it and then pass it along to my grandson who just turned 1 this summer when he graduates college.

I have a lot of astigmatism so shorter ranges are better than long range. Due to the intolerable weather I'll likely shoot it at the air conditioned indoor 25 yard range during the hot months. When it's tolerable I'll go to the outdoor range to shoot 50 and 100 yards and maybe 200 once in a while. I doubt I have the vision for more than 200 yards.

I've been leaning toward a long stroke gas piston rifle based on believing it is softer shooting and much cleaner shooting than a DI rifle. Recently I've been told it's only a little softer shooting and no cleaner, by some people. I'd like to have a 16" to 20" barrel, iron sights and some sort of optic. I'd like to work with a $1500 budget if possible. I stopped in a shop today that has Daniel Defense as their main line. They are DI guns and mid length gas systems according to the DD website although the guy there told me it was a rifle length gas system.

So, enough rambling. That's the not quite so short version of what I hope to achieve. I look forward to any and all advice you guys will share and to what I can learn here.

Onyx Z
09-16-14, 20:11
This BCM should serve you well:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=750-780

With Daniel Defense a VERY close second.

TacticalMark
09-16-14, 20:32
Stick to DI, 16" Mid-length. BCM, DD or Sionics.
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=103
or the BCM linked above.

GH41
09-17-14, 08:31
Nothing wrong with the Sionics rifle other than it does nothing to satisfy the op's needs. He says he is blind and wants to scope it and use it as a bench gun. He needs a floated rail without iron sights. The Recce is closer to what he wants but may be out of his price range after putting a scope on it. A 1X4 would be plenty for 25-200 yards. A $600 budget would get a good 1X4 and mount. He don't sound like he wants a fighting gun. Maybe Grant could find him an M&P15PC. You see them sell in the $1,200 range new.

Ryno12
09-17-14, 08:44
Based solely on the fact that you want to pass it on to your grandson, I'd recommend a Colt AR15-A4.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/AR15A4.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamjaymo
09-17-14, 08:45
Second the recommendation on the BCM, mine runs flawlessly and always has with every kind of ammo under the sun.

LoveAR
09-17-14, 09:37
I have 3 BCM mid-length rifles, two 14.5" and one 16". They have been very reliable and soft shooting. Check out the uppers available at BCM and get a BCM lower from G&R. Can't go wrong with Daniel Defense either.

Beat Trash
09-17-14, 11:03
I have been shooting AR's for 32 years, and taught my son to shoot a Colt 6920 when he was about 9. Recoil is not an issue.

But with that said, I ventured forth and bought a new upper recently. I bought a BCM 14.5" ELW-F with a 13" KMR rail and the BCM comp attached. My goal was to go light weight for my Patrol Rifle while at work. I fully expected to have some increase in felt recoil. There's no free lunch, right?

What I found out when I tested this upper was that for once, I actually got a free lunch. The felt recoil on this setup was non - existent! The muzzle just didn't rise. My wife (5'3" and about 120 lbs) was about two weeks out from an out patient surgery on her dominant wrist. She put three magazines through this setup and had no issues, other than wanting to claim it as hers.

But with a decent stance, it's hard to say that the AR system has "recoil".

I own three DD rifles, all are 16" midlength light weight guns. Two are DDM4V5lw's, and the third has a BCM KMR 13" keymod rail on them. All are good guns. But DD has raised the price of their products a bit too much for what they are in my opinion. If I were in the market for a new gun, I would take a hard look at the BCM offerings.

I would also look hard at a Colt 6920. It's an excellent basic rifle, and prices are really good right now. While I now prefer midlength gas systems, I still have a couple of Colt 6920's floating around. They are a good basic rifle.

What ever you get, look for a quality red dot optic. For the price, it's hard to beat the Aimpoint PRO. You will find this works well with the astigmatism. If you want to clear up the red dot a bit, look through a rear BUIS while shooting and the red dot turns from a fuzzy ball back into a dot (I've got a bit of an astigmatism also).

ghostsup
09-17-14, 13:28
I have been shooting AR's for 32 years, and taught my son to shoot a Colt 6920 when he was about 9. Recoil is not an issue.

But with that said, I ventured forth and bought a new upper recently. I bought a BCM 14.5" ELW-F with a 13" KMR rail and the BCM comp attached. My goal was to go light weight for my Patrol Rifle while at work. I fully expected to have some increase in felt recoil. There's no free lunch, right?

What I found out when I tested this upper was that for once, I actually got a free lunch. The felt recoil on this setup was non - existent! The muzzle just didn't rise. My wife (5'3" and about 120 lbs) was about two weeks out from an out patient surgery on her dominant wrist. She put three magazines through this setup and had no issues, other than wanting to claim it as hers.

But with a decent stance, it's hard to say that the AR system has "recoil".

I own three DD rifles, all are 16" midlength light weight guns. Two are DDM4V5lw's, and the third has a BCM KMR 13" keymod rail on them. All are good guns. But DD has raised the price of their products a bit too much for what they are in my opinion. If I were in the market for a new gun, I would take a hard look at the BCM offerings.

I would also look hard at a Colt 6920. It's an excellent basic rifle, and prices are really good right now. While I now prefer midlength gas systems, I still have a couple of Colt 6920's floating around. They are a good basic rifle.

What ever you get, look for a quality red dot optic. For the price, it's hard to beat the Aimpoint PRO. You will find this works well with the astigmatism. If you want to clear up the red dot a bit, look through a rear BUIS while shooting and the red dot turns from a fuzzy ball back into a dot (I've got a bit of an astigmatism also).

So happy to hear about the "free lunch". I ordered the same thing in the 16" variety and just got it yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for the BCM lower which I ordered from Grant at G&R. I'm really looking forward to shooting this thing and reading your post got me all fuzzy inside! :cool:

iamjaymo
09-17-14, 16:35
I actually forgot about DD, can't go wrong with them either...I just picked up an MK18 upper to use on an LMT lower. Can't wait to get some rounds thru her!

LDB
09-17-14, 16:48
Thanks for the replies so far. My LGS has this rifle for $1289 that looks like one good suspect for my list. I've got a VXIII 3.5-10x50 in an A.R.M.S. mount I can use initially until I get a more appropriate optic.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5.html

LoveAR
09-17-14, 17:10
^^^ good choice. The V5 is a popular rifle. I had a V4 and my only complaint was a gritty trigger. That issue can be easily resolved with an ALG trigger though if necessary.

Beat Trash
09-17-14, 19:10
Thanks for the replies so far. My LGS has this rifle for $1289 that looks like one good suspect for my list. I've got a VXIII 3.5-10x50 in an A.R.M.S. mount I can use initially until I get a more appropriate optic.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5.html

My wife and I both have v5 light weights. Great guns. And that is an excellent price...