PDA

View Full Version : Boondocks Security System

montanadave
09-17-14, 22:41
I want to install some type of security system at the pole barn on my ranch property. The property is obviously out in the country and I do not have a land line or internet service. The chances of law enforcement responding in time to actually apprehend someone breaking in is slim to none. What seems most practical is a simple video surveillance setup that could provide a video record of anyone approaching/entering the building which I could then provide to law enforcement.

So I'm clueless as to what might be the right setup. A few CCTV cameras recording to a hard drive stashed in the closet? Or maybe just a game camera stuck out of sight on the wall of the barn or outside the door? Will I have to turn it on and off every time I'm around or do the things automatically overwrite the hard drive (or SD card) so if I showed up and saw there'd been a break in, the last images would hopefully have recorded the thieves?

Anyone have any cost-effective solutions that would give me a little piece of mind but not entail breaking the bank or require a subscription service using cell-phone connectivity?

GH41
09-18-14, 06:23
My brother is in the same fix as you. He has phone and cell service but an alarm would be useless... He doesn't have anything to steal (except pecans) and if he did the police are 30 minutes away. He is tired of finding camp fires, beer cans and evidence of poaching almost every time he visits. His solution is simple. Old house trailers are a dime a dozen here in the southeast. He will set one up and invite a retired couple to live there rent free as care takers.

alienb1212
09-18-14, 06:27
This is one of those situations it's REALLY going to depend on how much money he's willing to spend.

This kind of situation is what I do for a living. PM me some details and I can help you make some decisions.

alienb1212
09-18-14, 06:33
Take a look at these. A 4-pack is $400, add in a few MicroSD cards on the cheap and you've got a month or so of video you can grab off the cameras directly when you are there. Video is stored on the SD card inside the camera, and they require only a single Cat5E connection for power, making mounting and networking easy and cheap. Night vision/IR illumination on these newer models too!

http://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=UVC-3&eq=&Tp=

Alternatively you can get a much more elaborate setup, but I think you're probably going to be one of "those guys" and expect a bunch of functionality in a remote location for little/no money invested. It's like firearms, you really get what you pay for, and having a professional design and install your system can mean the difference between it working fantastically or not at all.

You're going to have to decide if you're willing to throw some money at this, or you're just going to get by with some over-simple setups like a game cam or something. As I said, let me know and I can help you choose.

montanadave
09-18-14, 09:08
I appreciate the feedback, alien1212, and I would like to think I'm not "that guy" but perhaps I am. :smile:

I want something that is robust, simple, and (most importantly) Dave-proof. That last requirement may not be available with today's technology. I'm willing to spend some money but would like to stay under $1000. That may be unrealistic but I would think a guy could get a couple of exterior cameras, a couple of interior cameras, and a recorder with the ability to download images to a memory card or flashdrive.

My problem is that I'm NOT a tech guy. So when I start looking around, I have a hard time telling which units/systems are stand-alone and which require an internet connection (which I don't have) or a on-site computer to support an ethernet (whatever that is) or other such shit that I don't really want to get into.

Ideally, I want some cameras that record what's going on, that could record two or three weeks worth of data and then automatically begin to overwrite, that is possibly motion-activated to conserve memory storage, and that I could easily turn on and off when I'm around. A recorder/data storage device with a built in viewer to review on-site would be preferable.

I'm leaving this here, as I thought there might be a few members who are curious as well, but if you'd rather discuss this via PM I'll certainly comply. I realize it's awkward to ask a professional for the interwebz equivalent of a free curbside consult and certainly don't want to break anybody's rice bowl.

alienb1212
09-18-14, 09:58
Working right now. With a 1k budget and some direction I think you can do what you want to do.

I'll formulate a PM and a post for you later tonight.

montanadave
09-18-14, 10:02
Appreciate that. I'm headed out today so it might be a day or two before I get back to you.

alienb1212
09-19-14, 06:25
Ok, this is a bit lengthy so here we go.

There are several different types of camera systems, but I'm only going to cover two here. You've got IP cameras, which communicate off of a computer network, and closed-circuit TV, which is like the kit you get from WallyWorld. CCTV systems tend to be in the cheaper range, seeing a complete kit for $400 with 8 cameras is not unheard of. These tend to be fairly cheap, and as stated, you get what you pay for. They also have a central box, usually it looks like a fancy DVD player, which requires a temperature controlled environment, and power. Due to the varying quality of these systems, (varying between shitty and REALLY shitty) we're skipping over these.

My suggestion for you is an IP-camera setup with a cool little buzzword called "Edge Storage". Basically, we put a MicroSD card inside these cameras, and the video is stored right in the camera. The camera decides what it considers as "Motion" and will automatically overwrite the oldest motion-recording when it runs out of space. As MicroSD cards are really inexpensive, you can slap a 32gb card in the camera for $30, and get several hundred hours of video storage for a small amount of money. The Ubiquiti UVC cameras that I linked already have JUST come out and may be hard to get, but they represent the best price/quality combination you're likely to see in an inexpensive IP camera.

Installing these is very simple. They require only one cable, and you can pick up a bulk box of it at Home Depot for $70/1000ft. Look for "CAT5E" and grab a color that's not bright blue or something so it's harder to see and cut. While you're there, you're also going to want to purchase an ethernet cable termination kit, like the one detailed here. http://www.instructables.com/id/Terminating-an-Ethernet-CAT5eCAT6-Cable/

Here's an equipment list, minus your tools needed. (I'm assuming a $~1k budget)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704027&cm_re=tp-link_switch-_-33-704-027-_-Product 1X, $14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K1NB3678&cm_re=MicroSD-_-0DF-000A-00073-_-Product X6, $66
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048&cm_re=Cyberpower_UPS-_-42-102-048-_-Product 1X $140
http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=UVC X6 $834

This will give you 6x night vision cameras, their MicroSD cards, a UPS that will power the entire system in the event of an outage for approximately 6hrs, and the switch you'll hook your laptop up to when you want to go download the videos.

You could mix and match the cameras for an indoor dome-style, but the ones I linked and priced for you are far more weatherproof, and more vandal-resistant.

16gb of capacity should provide well over 80 hours of continuous video when set to motion recording.

You're going to run some Cat5E to wherever the camera will go. They come with these little black power injectors that provide power for the camera over it's network wire. The cameras will also have some infrared illumination at night time so even in complete darkness they will see some black and white detail.

montanadave
09-20-14, 20:18
Thanks for all the info. Now for the dumb questions. With the IP cameras with self-contained memory chip, if someone decides to rip the cameras off the side of the building the photos are history, right? So wouldn't it make more sense to record the data in one secured (hidden) location? You're running cat-5 line from each unit back to a central location anyway.

Again, apologies for my ignorance but I'm really out of my lane with this stuff.

Ryno12
09-20-14, 20:28
Personally, I'd rather have a centrally located NVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alienb1212
09-20-14, 22:05
Sure, if you're willing to drop some more cash. But make sure it's in a secure location.

http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AirVision-C

Ready-made platform for folks like you that don't want to roll their own.

montanadave
09-20-14, 22:20
What is the advantage of the IP cameras over the HD "closed circuit" cameras like the Q-SEE packages. And I take it I have to schlep a laptop computer out to the ranch to operate/review the IP system images?

SteyrAUG
09-20-14, 22:36
Thanks for all the info. Now for the dumb questions. With the IP cameras with self-contained memory chip, if someone decides to rip the cameras off the side of the building the photos are history, right? So wouldn't it make more sense to record the data in one secured (hidden) location? You're running cat-5 line from each unit back to a central location anyway.

Again, apologies for my ignorance but I'm really out of my lane with this stuff.

Gonna be pretty hard to "hide" any data storage, they only have to follow the cables.

TriviaMonster
09-21-14, 01:29
You just have to make it very inconvenient to get the cameras or other hardware. Anchors to masonry or brick posted up high will help. Make the server difficult to get to and hide your wires well.

And modern systems will write over old data as they record. I use a 16 can setup with 2TB of data at my business.

A simple 3-4 camera system with a month worth of data won't be too expensive. And many programs will choose to only record motion and not waste the storage on still video.

montanadave
09-21-14, 07:39
One clear advantage (near as I can tell) of the IP cameras is using the Cat-5 to power the units. With closed-circuit cameras like the Lorax or Q-SEE systems, it appears that each individual camera requires a plug in for the power cable. Is that correct? An 8 camera system would require power strips for eight cameras, the DVR, a monitor, etc.?

Ryno12
09-21-14, 08:00
What is the advantage of the IP cameras over the HD "closed circuit" cameras like the Q-SEE packages. And I take it I have to schlep a laptop computer out to the ranch to operate/review the IP system images?
Not sure if you got my PM but the system I told you about has an onboard UI so any monitor or TV with an HDMI or VGA connection will work. You don't need to have a laptop to set up your system.

One clear advantage (near as I can tell) of the IP cameras is using the Cat-5 to power the units. With closed-circuit cameras like the Lorax or Q-SEE systems, it appears that each individual camera requires a plug in for the power cable. Is that correct? An 8 camera system would require power strips for eight cameras, the DVR, a monitor, etc.?
Yes. IP cameras only require the Ethernet cable for power & data transmission (PoE). If you're running all new cable, which I'm sure you are, certainly get at least Cat 5e but I'd personally spend the extra for Cat 6. I just prefer to have the latest/greatest if I'm pulling cables through walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montanadave
09-21-14, 10:21
Ryno12: I did receive your PM and thank you. I didn't respond as I was trying to get out the door. I'm certainly leaning towards the IP systems, primarily based on the simplicity of using a single Cat-5 (or 6) line to connect the cameras. Without having any internet service at the ranch, a lot of the capabilities provided by these systems are kind of lost on me, but if I can have a central data recorder with one power supply and can view the images with a cheapo monitor/TV it should work fine. Little bit of sticker shock compared to the CCTV systems (and I suppose I'll look at those prices in 5 years and kick myself) and some concerns about using these cameras in exposed, outdoor environments, but hopefully they should hold up.

Like I mentioned before, I just want a simple, robust system that I can set and forget, unless I show up one day and see a door or window knocked out and the place trashed. Then I want to (hopefully) have some information which might help the local sheriff catch the culprit(s).

Averageman
09-21-14, 12:32
I used to trap coyotes for some Ranchers back in the 70's. Everything was pretty low tech and this was southern Arizona so there was a pretty good chance of someone either trying to rip you off or doing a dope drop on your land.
Now we have all kinds of technology and cameras and recorders, but to be honest the thing that always worried me when I went out to visit was one of those damn mean assed mixed cur ranch dogs attatching itself to my leg as I tried to exit the truck.
I think a mix of the two would probobly be more than enough.

montanadave
09-21-14, 16:06
My "ranch dog" is 12-year-old Aussie who'd sell me out for a Slim Jim. :laugh:

Show up with a plain cheeseburger from McDonald's and she'll show you where the gold's buried.

TXBK
09-21-14, 16:12
My "ranch dog" is 12-year-old Aussie who'd sell me out for a Slim Jim. :laugh:

Show up with a plain cheeseburger from McDonald's and she'll show you where the gold's buried.

Where are you located?

montanadave
09-21-14, 16:15
Where are you located?

What, Montana isn't specific enough? :smile: