PDA

View Full Version : LMT Bolt Carrier Group

jeremy45
06-17-08, 17:45
This will be my first AR. And i know the Noveske comes in #1 for a first AR, I just can't afford it. I'm in college and just got married in Dec. Anyway, I decided to buy the LMT upper and lower and put them together since this seemed to be the next best thing to a Noveske or Colt. So my question is which bolt carrier groud do i get? There are 6 options on there sight, is the stardard one ok since I'm on a tight budget? Primary reason for purchase is home defense but I'm sure it'll see some range time and three gun matches. :D

Rifleman_04
06-17-08, 17:58
Nevermind. Ill let someone else more knowlegdable answer first.

GaryXD
06-17-08, 18:03
LMT : 5.56, Standard F/A Bolt Carrier Group

jeremy45
06-17-08, 18:06
That's what I was thinking, I just wanted some more input. Thanks!

GONIF
06-17-08, 18:07
get an M16 BCG with a extractor upgrade. LMT,BCM,Young Manufactureing . make sure they stake the gas key properly. I have been very pleased with the BCM M16 BCG from Bravo for $130.00.:D

Dave L.
06-17-08, 18:08

+1 on the choice.

Congratulations on your marriage, and sorry to hear about this being your last AR;)

jeremy45
06-17-08, 18:11
But one is better than none and I don't even have to lie about the cost.:D

jeremy45
06-17-08, 18:59
Is there anything else I will need to do to it?

Sandman751
06-17-08, 20:52
Not a damn thing! It comes ready to rock & roll. I'm running an LMT in the sandbox and it is without a doubt battle tested. I trust my life to it. You made an excellent choice.

Thermodyn
06-17-08, 21:14
Just built the exact same LMT. I had to search high and low for the F/A LMT BCG, and the only one who seems to have them in stock right now is Bravo Co. They also have their own BCM as well which are every bit the equal of the LMT. G&R tactical has AR-15 LMT BCG's and BCM F/A BCG's as well as CMT. CMT BCG's are excellent as well. FYI, I spoke with LMT last week, and they indicated that new BCG's won't be available from them for another 6-8 weeks.

Here are some links:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Bolt-Carrier-Parts-s/2.htm

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=group+bolt+carrier

Both are GREAT to do business with! Hope this helps to save you some time searching.

jeremy45
06-17-08, 21:46
Thanks for all the help guys, it'll probably be a little while before I can get everything so I'll just order the parts whenever they're available and It'll be done when it get's done.:D Thanks again for all the help guys!!!!

Dave L.
06-18-08, 05:06
You may have to "buff" some sharp edges on it- mainly the lower rear end where the buffer retainer channel is- sometimes they gouge into the buffer.

jeremy45
06-18-08, 10:24
Do you just "buff" it with fine sand paper or a wire wheel or something else?

Dave L.
06-18-08, 10:30
Do you just "buff" it with fine sand paper or a wire wheel or something else?

I used a dremmel tool with a fine girt buffing tool on the end. It took off the black finish in a little area but smoothed it right out. This doesn't always have to be done but from time to time check the inside of your upper and see if the Bolt Carrier is wearing the anodizing off- you will know because spots will be shiny aluminum. I usually buff those areas down a little to prevent long term wear.

jeremy45
06-18-08, 10:58
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

LIL-COMMANDO
06-18-08, 11:36

+1 on that.

I see in some post of sanding/dremel work on sharp edges???

Your first AR, so some advice. The Dremel is the Devil and once you start removing or shaving from your AR it becomes gunsmithing. So if you are not trained in Gunsmithing then dont do anything like that. There is a difference between a Gunsmith and Armorer.:eek:

jeremy45
06-18-08, 12:39
No Dremel. Got it.:)