PDA

View Full Version : ranier arms or arfcom ambi billet lower

HMsailor
09-18-14, 20:04
my new project would be a full ambi lower, then lightweight. are ranier arms or arfcom good lowers?

Vandal
09-18-14, 20:09
Rainier Arms would get my money first. My interactions both online and in their storefront have been fantastic. Get the 45* BAD ASS too. Great parts!

VIP3R 237
09-18-14, 20:17
Of those two I prefer the Rainier, however neither is a true Ambi lower as you can not lock the bolt to the rear with the right side lever.

If you are looking for a true Ambi lower look at the Aero Precision Gen 2 ambi, or the San Tan tactical.

lunchbox
09-18-14, 20:35
Your gonna come on the M4C and ask if you should get a Barfcom lower?..... Your F'ing with us right??

Toddler
09-18-14, 20:40
If your wanting true ambi I'd save up for a KAC SR-15 E3. Once you add up what you spend to make your rifle ambi the KAC will about the same price and a better rifle.

PatrioticDisorder
09-18-14, 20:55
Of those two I prefer the Rainier, however neither is a true Ambi lower as you can not lock the bolt to the rear with the right side lever.

If you are looking for a true Ambi lower look at the Aero Precision Gen 2 ambi, or the San Tan tactical.

The AP gen 2 Ambi & san tan will lock the bolt back from the right side? I thought the only 2 true ambis were AX556 & LWRC IC lower...

IraqVet1982
09-18-14, 21:28
Just train to shoot the RIGHT way, no ambi needed

VIP3R 237
09-18-14, 21:28
The AP gen 2 Ambi & san tan will lock the bolt back from the right side? I thought the only 2 true ambis were AX556 & LWRC IC lower...

Yes they will. And you can have a machinist mill any lower for the PDQ lever which will make any lower ambi and able to lock back from the right side.

TehLlama
09-18-14, 23:04
Figure out which ambi features you actually need/will use. Ambi selectors are awesome (if done right); I have Norgon ambi catches and SR15IWS Lowers, but I tend to just use the normal magazine release anyway. I run BAD levers on my stuff (haven't encountered issues with them yet) which serves as an adequate ambi bolt manipulation solution, so FWIW just about any lower will do for most purposes with the addition of something like the BAD-CASS and maybe adding an AXTS/BCM Ambi CH.

AXTS, SanTan, and KAC still have some of the best setups if full ambi suite of features is really required, but you could take a 'boring' forged Rainier (or AeroPrecision, MEGA, PSA, BCM (Blem/non), Noveske(Chainsaw/non), DanielDefense, LMT, or other) receiver and just run that without issue for less money using a few smartly chosen aftermarket pieces.

mbpike22
09-19-14, 06:51
I was just asking myself the same question. I ended up going with Rainier's matched set. I'll let you know how it is once it comes in.

justin_247
09-19-14, 10:53
There are only three fully ambidextrous lowers available on the market right now for 5.56 (most of the brands mentioned in this thread only have a right-side bolt release, not a manual bolt catch):

LWRC M6 IC
AXTS AX556
AP Gen 2 Ambi

As far as the Rainier Arms and ARFCOM variants go, the one from Rainier Arms is a derivative of the Mega GTR-3 lower and the one from ARFCOM is a derivative of the POF P415 lower.

HMsailor
09-19-14, 19:01
There are only three fully ambidextrous lowers available on the market right now for 5.56 (most of the brands mentioned in this thread only have a right-side bolt release, not a manual bolt catch):

LWRC M6 IC
AXTS AX556
AP Gen 2 Ambi

As far as the Rainier Arms and ARFCOM variants go, the one from Rainier Arms is a derivative of the Mega GTR-3 lower and the one from ARFCOM is a derivative of the POF P415 lower.
Isnt the arfcom version an exact copy of the magpul lower, just a different logo? Also seems that the ranier lower has a similar frame. Hence the reason i narrowed the two down to my choices.

justin_247
09-19-14, 21:08
Isnt the arfcom version an exact copy of the magpul lower, just a different logo? Also seems that the ranier lower has a similar frame. Hence the reason i narrowed the two down to my choices.

The Magpul lower is made by POF, just like the ARFCOM one. The Rainier Arms lower is made by Mega.

The form and function of the two are almost identical.

torsf
09-19-14, 21:41
I have a San tan grenade - not quite sure what the blem was. Works quite well.

Take down pin detention spring needed to be clipped due to the addition of sling swivel sockets.

bigheadcal
09-20-14, 16:25
Rainer or KAC lowers. I still think ambi is a gimmick and not really needed

VIP3R 237
09-20-14, 16:37
Rainer or KAC lowers. I still think ambi is a gimmick and not really needed

Unless you're left handed ;) However most righties do see the advantage of being able to lock and release the bolt using an ambi colt catch lever.

03scgt
09-20-14, 18:03
how is the aero lower true ambi? theres no left side mag release lol

justin_247
09-20-14, 18:09
how is the aero lower true ambi? theres no left side mag release lol

Just like with every lower, you install one from Norgon, Troy, KAC, or a few others. The mag release is the easy part. It's the right-side bolt stop/release that you can't just buy and install in 30 seconds...

bigheadcal
09-20-14, 18:09
Unless you're left handed ;) However most righties do see the advantage of being able to lock and release the bolt using an ambi colt catch lever.

I shoot lefty and much rather have the conventional layout. its a muscle memory thing

03scgt
09-20-14, 18:21
Just like with every lower, you install one from Norgon, Troy, KAC, or a few others. The mag release is the easy part. It's the right-side bolt stop/release that you can't just buy and install in 30 seconds...

then its not a true ambi lower if you need to install aftermarket parts in it.If we arent calling kac a true ambi lower or rainier a true ambi lower you cant give a pass to aero.A bad lever is no more difficult to install than adding the parts to the mag release on an aero

VIP3R 237
09-20-14, 18:31
I shoot lefty and much rather have the conventional layout. its a muscle memory thing

I can't argue with that, but I personally prefer a full ambi suite of controls.

then its not a true ambi lower if you need to install aftermarket parts in it.If we arent calling kac a true ambi lower or rainier a true ambi lower you cant give a pass to aero.A bad lever is no more difficult to install than adding the parts to the mag release on an aero

You can order the Aero with a Norgon installed from the factory. I think we are referencing the ability to lock the bolt back, and in that case then there is very few options available.

superstratjunky
09-20-14, 19:55

LWRC M6 IC
AXTS AX556
AP Gen 2 Ambi

This! It would be my choice.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.defensereview.com/axts-a-dac-ambidextrous-ar-ar-15-lower-receiver-for-improved-speed-and-handlingergonomics/&sa=U&ei=WR8eVISHLcP2yQST74GYCw&ved=0CDEQFjAH&sig2=OLXRkzkVZptjviAK8u3hmg&usg=AFQjCNHYam8YushI02bh994rLrrNblrUWQ

HMsailor
09-21-14, 10:59
ambi colt catch lever? i never seen one made from colt...or are you talking about a magpul BAD lever?

VIP3R 237
09-21-14, 11:56
ambi colt catch lever? i never seen one made from colt...or are you talking about a magpul BAD lever?

Oops, I meant ambi Bolt catch.

HMsailor
09-22-14, 22:59
so did magpul design just the lower or lower and upper?

justin_247
09-23-14, 10:41

Any person with half a brain can take a standard forged mil-spec lower receiver and install an ambi mag release and ambi safety. There is no special design needed to have these on your lower. However, unless the lower is specifically designed for it, nobody can install a bolt catch/release on the right-hand side. THAT is what makes a lower true ambi or not.

The Magpul BAD lever is known to cause malfunctions and limits the kind of left-side mag release buttons you can use. If that's your thing, cool, but it changes nothing about what I said.

so did magpul design just the lower or lower and upper?

Magpul took out a contract with POF and had them make slight changes to their P415 lower. There is nothing special about the Magpul lowers other than the stamp.

Digital_Damage
09-23-14, 15:38
Areo precision would be my choice.

between the two ranier arms

**** arfcom

HMsailor
09-23-14, 16:45
Any person with half a brain can take a standard forged mil-spec lower receiver and install an ambi mag release and ambi safety. There is no special design needed to have these on your lower. However, unless the lower is specifically designed for it, nobody can install a bolt catch/release on the right-hand side. THAT is what makes a lower true ambi or not.

The Magpul BAD lever is known to cause malfunctions and limits the kind of left-side mag release buttons you can use. If that's your thing, cool, but it changes nothing about what I said.

Magpul took out a contract with POF and had them make slight changes to their P415 lower. There is nothing special about the Magpul lowers other than the stamp.
its the design i like. not the logo.