PDA

View Full Version : Scope Advice Please

SaintBully
09-19-14, 20:48
Besides the obvious advantage of being able to use both, what are the pros and cons of having an over/under sight? Also, any advice on specific scopes under $150.00 to purchase would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pi3
09-19-14, 20:56
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817249/burris-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope-2-7x-35mm-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

LewP
09-19-14, 22:01
There are no good scopes under $200. There may be some-would-find-OK scopes at that price but honestly you're not even in the ball park. If I had to get an inexpensive scope for an AR rifle I'd be looking at a Leupold 1.5-4x Mark AR. With QD mount you're still talking $500ish. And you still need BUIS for another $125+.

The alternative solution would be to get a Chinese red dot. If I had to go that way I'd take a hard look at the new Primary Arms 2moa red dot for $130ish.

My problem has always been flushing $100+ down the drain for something I *knew* I would replace later. If you can take a little while to save get $400 for Aimpoint Pro red dot you'll be a lot happier. Or $500+/- and get an entry 1-4x Leupold with QD mount.

You're better off shooting a good set of iron sights (Magpul Pro's ~$125 on sale) over crap optics that will eventually leave you unhappy.

gt40
09-19-14, 22:05
I have the Bushnell AR/223 Tactical scope in 4.5-18x40mm and love it as my deer hunting and varmint scope. I got it on sale for $174.00 including shipping. ( lucky I guess ). There are others that are good prices here.

3-12x40mm for $144.89 would be a good one also. I put Warne QD Ultra High 1" Aluminum rings that gives me a perfect cheek weld and allows the room for the zoom ring to turn.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/search.cfm?kword=bushnell+tactical+scopes

plouffedaddy
09-19-14, 22:13
Besides the obvious advantage of being able to use both, what are the pros and cons of having an over/under sight? Also, any advice on specific scopes under $150.00 to purchase would be appreciated. Thanks.

In this price range your best bet is one of the Vortex Crossfire scopes on sale or used IMO. Not great but vortex has a great warranty. For a red dot---PA micro dot.

SaintBully
09-20-14, 09:38
Thanks for all the responses. What's the basic practical difference in a scope and a red dot? My AR will be used for hunting (deer, hog, varmint) and target shooting. I doubt I'll ever take a shot over 300 yds. and most likely in the 100-200 range, due to stands of hardwood on my land.

gt40
09-20-14, 13:54
If you can get the one like I have The turret is as repeatable as my Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm scope and it might even be clearer. I have it on my long range bolt rifle in the picture.

Bushnell are very good scopes for the money and with 4.5-18 power zoom you can easily see the bullet holes in your target at 100 yd. plus. A lot of guys get 3-9 power, but I can not see the difference between 3 and 4.5 power. There is a big difference between 9 and 18 power though. $199 is a very good price for it. I use mine for deer ( killed 3 last season ) and varmints and target shooting and hitting steel.

I also have a CUSTOM TURRET TAPE on my elevation turret so I don't have to count clicks. I measure the distance with my rangefinder then turn the turret to the yardage and shoot.

SaintBully
09-21-14, 00:15
If you can get the one like I have The turret is as repeatable as my Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm scope and it might even be clearer. I have it on my long range bolt rifle in the picture.

Bushnell are very good scopes for the money and with 4.5-18 power zoom you can easily see the bullet holes in your target at 100 yd. plus. A lot of guys get 3-9 power, but I can not see the difference between 3 and 4.5 power. There is a big difference between 9 and 18 power though. $199 is a very good price for it. I use mine for deer ( killed 3 last season ) and varmints and target shooting and hitting steel.

I also have a CUSTOM TURRET TAPE on my elevation turret so I don't have to count clicks. I measure the distance with my rangefinder then turn the turret to the yardage and shoot.

That's a nice setup you got. Turret tape?

gt40
09-21-14, 00:50
That's a nice setup you got. Turret tape?

It makes your elevation turret into a custom turret. Instead of counting 1/4" for each click you just turn to the number of yards your target is and shoot. For example when I shoot at 1,000 yds. and my zero is 200 yards I have to count 208(?) clicks to get my bullets to hit the center of the target. With a custom turret all I have to do is turn the turret to 1000. No counting clicks.

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 08:43
This is wired. I did not know they had a good scopes for under$150. Well maybe good for .22 cal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gt40
09-21-14, 09:56
.223 & 5.56 is 22 caliber and they don't recoil much either. He said he wanted to use his AR 15 for hunting and target shooting. You may be going to war and need a $2,000 scope and mount set up, but if you want to spend that kind of money go right ahead. I have had a 3.5-10 power Bushnell on my 30-06 for 20 years and it is still a good scope with no issues. The Bushnell AR/223 4.5-18x40mm scope is clearer and sharper (IMHO) than the Leupold scope that cost a lot more. Not only that the turrets are audible and are just as accurate as my Vortex 6-24 PST FFP MOA scope which is just as accurate as my buddies $1,500 Night Force. The Bushnell 3-12x40mm for $144.89 Tactical scope is as good as mine and its functions are just as accurate too. The web site That you see that I linked to has very good prices compared to others.

3-12X40 DROP ZONE BDC RETICLE AR-SCOPE
BUSHNELL 3-12X40 DROP ZONE BDC RETICLE AR-SCOPE
was $280.95 now $144.89
Notify Me When Available
Style: AR931240
Department: Firearm Accessories > Optics, Lights & Lasers > Bushnell AR Optics

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 10:31
Sorry the word i was looking for was Weird.

The scopes that you listed ( Bushnell) are fine. I was just stating my opinion. However, I do have a Bushnell, two nightforce nxs and 4 ACOGs and I would not compare them. They are made for different applications/consumers. To be clear, I should have started with: in my opinion.
Having said that, comparing Bushnell with the nightforce scope is like comparing Honda civic with Porsche. Yes they both will take you from pint A to point B it's just Porsche does it different, you know with the burn-outs and the fishtailing around the corners...... Is it the same thing? Maybe. Ask the guy that has a Porsche.

You will get what you are paying for. :0)

ScottsBad
09-21-14, 12:25
I'm no scope expert, but I do own some high end stuff. My understanding is that the accuracy of the scope is tied to the precision of the mechanism. This is important because you want the point of impact to be what it should be throughout the range of the scope's variable power range. So the adjustments you make will be accurately reflected in the reticle and therefor in the POI.

Precision costs money, but there is more to it than that. The mechanism must also be rugged so it does not lose zero or precision. Then there is the light gathering and clarity of the glass. This is important. Many shots may be made in lower light or at a distance. As an example, I was deer hunting and it was getting into the late afternoon. I spotted a deer against a brushy back ground. Because the scope I had could not gather enough light I could not tell exactly how much horn it had and so I had to let it go. So clarity and light gathering usually get better with more expense.

So you can see how the costs can be justified. I personally would never buy a scope under $500 unless it was on some kind of amazing sale that brought it down. But that's just me. I would also suggest you think about an illuminated reticle for low light, but that is a lower priority than precision and light gathering/clarity.

Generally, it is 'better to buy once cry once' than to buy the lowest quality and have to buy a better one later. IMHO

Hope I'm making sense here.

jbjh
09-21-14, 14:30
The Burris MTAC 1-4x will get you out to 500yds without a problem. It'll do as a RDS at 1x and 4x will get you some distance while hunting.

The new Vortex Strikefire II is a bit more robust that the PA Micro and comes with the Vortex warranty and isn't that much higher that the price point you mentioned

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 16:58
What ScottsBad said. .....

SaintBully
09-23-14, 16:32
.223 & 5.56 is 22 caliber and they don't recoil much either. He said he wanted to use his AR 15 for hunting and target shooting. You may be going to war and need a $2,000 scope and mount set up, but if you want to spend that kind of money go right ahead. I have had a 3.5-10 power Bushnell on my 30-06 for 20 years and it is still a good scope with no issues. The Bushnell AR/223 4.5-18x40mm scope is clearer and sharper (IMHO) than the Leupold scope that cost a lot more. Not only that the turrets are audible and are just as accurate as my Vortex 6-24 PST FFP MOA scope which is just as accurate as my buddies $1,500 Night Force. The Bushnell 3-12x40mm for $144.89 Tactical scope is as good as mine and its functions are just as accurate too. The web site That you see that I linked to has very good prices compared to others.

3-12X40 DROP ZONE BDC RETICLE AR-SCOPE
BUSHNELL 3-12X40 DROP ZONE BDC RETICLE AR-SCOPE
was $280.95 now $144.89
Notify Me When Available

Style: AR931240
Department: Firearm Accessories > Optics, Lights & Lasers > Bushnell AR Optics

I just need to get from point A to point B and could care less about the name or bells and whistles ( Civic vs. Porsche? Really?). I have a Remington 870 that has served me well for 11 years . . . every bit as well as a high end Benelli would have. Thanks for the info.

SaintBully
09-23-14, 16:40
The Burris MTAC 1-4x will get you out to 500yds without a problem. It'll do as a RDS at 1x and 4x will get you some distance while hunting.

The new Vortex Strikefire II is a bit more robust that the PA Micro and comes with the Vortex warranty and isn't that much higher that the price point you mentioned

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Thanks!

cop1211
09-25-14, 07:19
Leupold VXR 1.25 -4. Save up a couple of hundred, I like it much better than anything listed so far.

USMC_Anglico
09-25-14, 07:26
For budget hunting a Vortex or Bushnell is GTG. If you are taking short shots, then an aimpoint (the new 2moa) would be fine, especially on movers like hogs. Varmints you would want the magnification.

Bottom line with optics are you get what you pay for. There is a reason why quality glass like S&B, Premier, etc. cost multiples of the rifles they are mounted on. Best bet is to define your needs and go from there. The alternative is letting wants drive the train.

Good luck