PDA

View Full Version : NIB PS90 for $905 should I do it or not...???

TED
09-20-14, 01:11
Local PX has one. There's not tax, no shipping (it's in stock), no transfer fee (it's in stock).

It is the standard model with the standard ring sight.

I am an active duty soldier if that matters (maybe a factor in applicable rebates or discounts elsewhere?).

Thank you for your guidance.

TED

diving dave
09-20-14, 10:58
That's a good price. I love FN firearms, and the PS is a fun little gun to shoot. I primarily have mine to plink at jackrabbits with. Only drawback is what's your intended use? For plinking, collection piece, etc I'd say go for it. If your looking for a SHTF gun or home defense, the 5.7 has some serious drawbacks.

Mr blasty
09-20-14, 12:51
As long as your not planning on using it for a social gun then
absolutely! One of the funnest guns I've ever fired.
Sent from my SM-T217T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ptmccain
09-20-14, 12:53
Tempting!!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bigheadcal
09-20-14, 18:22
I would! the mags are kinda goofy and the ammo might be tough to find at reasonable prices, but still..

TED
09-20-14, 22:10
Sale ends tomorrow. I have to make a decision tonight.

How good of a deal is that? How much do I loose by waiting? What do they normally cost?

Co-gnARR
09-20-14, 22:25
Ive seen these around $1400 and up, but that was a year ago. I thought it was cool, but the cost and availability of ammo locally set me back. That said, I always felt if I could a PS90 for a good price I would look into it. That price seems pretty good to me.

update: The best civilian price I found (Kentucky Gun Shop via Slick Guns) is $1169, so yeah, you found a good price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MBtech
09-20-14, 22:58
Supply and Demand
good price
If that's a tool you really want and gonna enjoy get it.

Co-gnARR
09-20-14, 23:31
I dug around a little bit and found a slightly better deal in case you pass this up. Not sure how long its good for but High Plains Gun Shop has a deal for Mil/LE only. $875, free shipping (I think) and if you use a coupon code from the Slick Guns ad they waive cc fees. You'd have to pay the transfer fee but for me that's $15 bucks. That puts the total at $890. Personally it's worth the extra price to have a gun I really want TODAY rather than wait. Ammo can be found around $0.47/round if you look.

MBtech
09-21-14, 00:29
Yea Ted, like Co-gnARR ... good of deal you are going to find
esp if it is local and no shipping

TED
09-21-14, 20:13
Well, I missed out.

I double checked my finances, talked with my wife, we decided to buy it. We drove out to the PX together and they were completely sold out, even the display model was gone.

Bummer.

Oh well.

None the less I am grateful for all y'all's guidance and will be better informed in case of future opportunity. Thank you all for that.

Co-gnARR
09-21-14, 21:46
No problem, TED. I'm always glad to share what little knowledge I have. If you are really interested in the PS90 you know where to look. If find the 5.7 caliber appealing and you and already have an AR, you can try the AR57 upper. Let us know if you wind up with some kind of 5.7.

TED
09-22-14, 00:56
Thank you, it is much appreciated.

I'm more interested in the design and layout of the PS90 than I am in the 5.7 cartridge. I can't see me ever getting an AR57 or FN57 pistol. I understand that the magazine design of the PS90 requires a straight wall cartridge. The .45, .40, 10mm, and 380 are all straight walled and I would take a PS90 in any of those cartridges, yes, even .380, over the 5.7. I do think a PS90 in 40 would really excel. I do understand that this might require a different locking mechanism. OTOH, a straight blowback with fixed barrel might be possible.

BTW, I can't believe my wife was really on board. I think maybe SHE really likes the PS90. My friend has one and has let us both shoot it.

TED

Co-gnARR
09-22-14, 10:21
The handful of guys I've seen with the PS90 all say it is wife friendly, in terms of ergos and recoil. That is a big factor for me, since I want to be confident my wife could handle a carbine on her own in a worst case scenario. If I could afford it I would seriously consider one. Local availability of ammo and the fact that reloading the cartridge is tricky have held me back.

TED
09-22-14, 17:30
In regards to the relaoding. In the lower 48 there are places where you can send them your brass an they will load it and send it back to you. Also, the factory brass catcher is awesome and works well (my firend uses it always). Taht way you never lose brass and you don't have to pick it up.

CGSteve
09-22-14, 20:54
I want one as a fun gun/collector piece but I've been thinking about an issue with what appears to be a very large mechanical offset. For you guys that own them, is it an issue to have an optic mounted so high? It looks like it is at least 4" high with an optic mounted on the railed models. I have not been reading good things about the stock reflex sight, and I'm not sure that is even available on the civilian models.

Co-gnARR
09-22-14, 21:20
In regards to the relaoding. In the lower 48 there are places where you can send them your brass an they will load it and send it back to you. Also, the factory brass catcher is awesome and works well (my firend uses it always). Taht way you never lose brass and you don't have to pick it up.
This is very interesting. Do you have any links for these services or an idea of price?

I have not been reading good things about the stock reflex sight, and I'm not sure that is even available on the civilian models.
IIRC I've seen the PS90 w/RDS available on Gunbroker. I have not looked in a long time so I have no idea of what the market for these guns is like now.

ezveedub
09-22-14, 21:29
$905 is a good price, but like it mentioned earlier, High Plains sells them for $875. Mags are about $17-$20 each in sale. Ammo is about $15-$25 a box if you really search for it on sale as well.

teutonicpolymer
09-22-14, 22:02
The gun itself might be cheapish now but the ammo is still fairly expensive just a heads up

Co-gnARR
09-22-14, 23:51
$905 is a good price, but like it mentioned earlier, High Plains sells them for $875. Mags are about $17-$20 each in sale. Ammo is about $15-$25 a box if you really search for it on sale as well.

The best I've seen ammo is $22, but that was not the norm. Most prices were $25+. I guess I really need to dig for prices like that.

The gun itself might be cheapish now but the ammo is still fairly expensive just a heads up
I agree. Feeding this puppy will be pricey.

ezveedub
09-22-14, 23:53
The best I've seen ammo is $22, but that was not the norm. Most prices were $25+. I guess I really need to dig for prices like that.

Local gun show this weekend went by, seller had FN 5.7 blue box for $20/50rds and American Eagle 5.7 for $15/50rds.

TED
09-23-14, 00:34
places offering services where they load your brass for you...

https://www.pbrammo.com/pbrs-customer-brass-program

That link has a pretty good description plus talks about how this can make your ammo excise tax exempt.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/166.htm

http://bullseyeprocessedbrass.com/

\http://brassprocessing.net/services.html

TED
09-23-14, 00:35
Well, at least one or two of those offer full reloading, the others just offer brass prep.