PDA

View Full Version : Reloading function test reloads

hunter4782
09-20-14, 08:30
Sorry if I put this in the wrong thread but through tapatalk seems like the right thread.
Will admit I'm a newbie and still kinda green to ARs. Working up test loads for reloading for my AR and did a function test with the first 10. Several stuck pretty bad. Compared notes and decided to seat the bullets a little deeper (was seating at max like for my 308 bolt) tried again and still sticking. Tried some factory ammo and still had a couple stick(not as bad though). The AR is clean though will run a patch through just to be sure. BCM upper, BCG, and barrel.
I post for one question and one comment.
Question: Has anyone else had this happen? I'm guessing the AR/M16 platform was designed with the idea of rounds being fired, not hand cycled and this is a possibility though not standard?

Comment: While efforting the rounds removal I got complacent and pulled the trigger. For safety I had removed the firing pin as a precaution before starting but I did have the safety off (because I store it hammer down on empty chamber, and can't reset the safety till it's cocked). So any newbies out there and veterans learn from my failure. Yes I took precautions for this event but I still failed on two counts, finger pulling trigger and safety off. COMPLACENCY KILLS!!!
Guys please don't bash me too bad, though I deserve it.

Jesse H
09-20-14, 08:50
Try hand cycling it at the range, with the firing pin in the BCG.

GH41
09-20-14, 09:32
How did I miss that!!

Onyx Z
09-20-14, 10:22
If this occurs with factory ammo, then this usually means you have an out-of-spec chamber. The headspace is most likely too short and the round is being jammed into the chamber when the bolt closes. Hand cycling the rifle should be effortless with an in-spec chamber and in-spec ammo.

I'd call BCM.

rcoodyar15
09-20-14, 15:54
are you full length resizing your reloads. You must with an ar.

Get a case gauge and check your ammo

Lube the bolt carrier group up really well. Run it wet.

get a set of go/no headspace gauges and check the headspace

Eric D.
09-20-14, 18:57
Don't put your bcg back in the gun with the firing pin removed. The firing pin keeps the cam pin from rotating; without it you run the risk of locking up your gun.

You may not be pushing the case shoulder back far enough during resizing. Get a case gauge and use it to set your sizing die.

hunter4782
09-20-14, 19:34
Was all full length sized, Eric did not know about the cam pin potentially locking things up.
After I scrubbed out the chamber and bore went to the range and ran rounds through manually so between having the firing pin back in and freshly clean chamber(don't think there could have been much in it but… results are results) ran like a champ.
This wasn't the first date with my AR but haven't even shot 100 rounds out of it yet so not really even broken in yet I suppose. My first AR so still learning what normal is.

lunchbox
09-20-14, 19:44
What was factory ammo you were shooting just out of curiosity? Was it brass or steel?

markm
09-21-14, 10:11
Get a God damned case gauge. Never manually cycle loads in a weapon. You're not getting the shoulder bumped back far enough. A case gauge will help you set the resizing die correctly.

GunnutAF
09-21-14, 22:40
A properly setup on the reloading dies an there should be no need to "functional check your loads" other then load them and shoot them! If you've properly trimmed and sized they will load an shoot just fine.:confused: