PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

dylank0723
09-20-14, 13:50
Just got an AR. Gonna be used for SHTF and some deer hunting. I really don't want to pay so freaking much for hollow points or the polymer tips. Found some great deals on 62 grain green tip though. Is green tip ok for SHTF and deer? I also found some 55 grain soft point. What's better for me uses? Rifle has 1:7 twist. Thanks

rcoodyar15
09-20-14, 15:45
Just got an AR. Gonna be used for SHTF and some deer hunting. I really don't want to pay so freaking much for hollow points or the polymer tips. Found some great deals on 62 grain green tip though. Is green tip ok for SHTF and deer? I also found some 55 grain soft point. What's better for me uses? Rifle has 1:7 twist. Thanks

hope SHTF never happens but lots of little bitty .22 bullets will probably put the zombies down. It is what our military has chosen. You can carry lots of them.

green tip has a steel penetrator tip. very poor choice for deer

fact is .223 is a really bad choice for deer. check your state regulations. its legal to hunt deer with a .223 in some states. I don't recommend it.

dylank0723
09-20-14, 16:54
Why's green tip bad for deer? And for 2 legged is green tip OK? Or do I need to pay for the hollow points?

lunchbox
09-20-14, 17:08
Depending on state FMJ/Penatrator is illegal to use on deer, it is here in AL. Ammo has to be SP/bonded/etc..Good hunting ammo needs to expand in soft tissue, FMJ/pen has too much pass through.

dylank0723
09-20-14, 17:16
Depending on state FMJ/Penatrator is illegal to use on deer, it is here in AL. Ammo has to be SP/bonded/etc..Good hunting ammo needs to expand in soft tissue, FMJ/pen has too much pass through.
What about 2 legs?

dylank0723
09-20-14, 17:20
And how does 55 gr shoot from a 16 inch 1:7 twist barrel

lunchbox
09-20-14, 17:38
What about 2 legs?Ya sure I guess, it's not my go to ammo but there are people here that stack that stuff deep. Good hits (CNS hits) will help you more than ammo selection(to certain extent). You can have the best ammo $ can buy, but bad hits are bad hits or misses. You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight, is term I've heard thrown around. I'm not Mil/LEO/professional in any way, so please don't take what I say as scripture. I'm sure one of the more accomplished reloaders will chime in. There's stickys and Docs GTG ammo/terminal ballistics chart, that help you decide what's best for you. Sorry couldn't be more help.... I like bonded bullets & SP for deer, I can tell Ya that:D. Good luck bro.

dylank0723
09-20-14, 17:39
What's bonded bullets

lunchbox
09-20-14, 18:05
What's bonded bulletshttp://www.chuckhawks.com/bonded_bullets.htm
I hate to ask, but how much experience do you have reloading?
To help you pick self defense ammo.
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.223

lunchbox
09-20-14, 18:13
Just in case you need another good reloading manual, it's free Sierra manual online https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?109135-Free-reloading-manual

markm
09-21-14, 10:09
Green tip doesn't do much of anything good. The one positive attribute is that it's rugged ammo. Ball powder and water sealed.

For small deer, the 64 gr bonded bullets would be ok. But yeah.... use a deer rifle. That's why God made them.

Abraham
09-21-14, 10:34
A friend of mine has a deer lease (with others) and they won't allow a .243 or less.

They did originally allowed .243, but had so many wounded deer that got away, they stopped allowing such a small caliber.

So, obviously they wouldn't allow a .223/5.56 as it's just too small for the average shooter...

Remmy
09-21-14, 12:01
Its all about shock to the body and size of hole for bleed out. Ball ammo does not expand and blow out a big hole. Lung shoot a big deer it may run but isn't running very far if hit with a hunting bullet. I shot a lot of deer thru the lungs and it made jelly out of the insides and a hole big enough for a fist.

Penatrators may only put a small hole in and back out. Hit it in the heart and it is dropping.

For hunting and possible home defense use non ball/penatrator bullets or keep separate mags.

I use a 30.06 with 150 grain or 165 grain and 50 cal inline with 250 grain bullet. It is against the law for me to use my 5.56 on deer.

dylank0723
09-21-14, 12:48
http://www.chuckhawks.com/bonded_bullets.htm
I hate to ask, but how much experience do you have reloading?
To help you pick self defense ammo.
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.223
Don't reload myself. Kinda want to get into it but not now

nelsonorway1978
09-21-14, 21:36
Usually green tip, such as pmc x-tac ammunition, is armor piercing. Make sure of what your buying. Armor piercing is good for SHTF so you can shoot through shit but not for deer. Soft points are ideal for deer hunting. Good luck.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AverajeJo
09-21-14, 21:54
Wait....what if a deer has a body armor on. You will need a green tip. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nelsonorway1978
09-21-14, 22:02
Then train for Head shots. lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Wake27
09-22-14, 01:56
OP, there are tons of threads on ammo here. Use the search. Oh and flesh is more or less flesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemonsds
09-28-14, 08:26
55 grain is too light a round and shouldn't even be shot out of a 1:7 twist. your barrel is great for heavier rounds I.E. 69 grain and higher.

Not every state allows you to hunt large game with this caliber so check your regulations.

Now the point of shooting a Deer is to kill it, not wound it. Any FMJ round will not expand like rounds that are meant for large game hunting I.E. 62 grain green tip( poor choice). maybe this will be a better round, 22 Caliber .224 Diameter 70 Grain Semi Spitzer Soft Point by Speer, or this one by Swift 224 Caliber-.224 Diameter 75 Grain SCIROCCO II. If you're reloading these are good choices.

AR's are mainly varmint rounds with a few exemptions for larger game, but i would go up in grain weight and get something with good expansion if you're hunting deer with an AR platform like the two i listed above.

make sure you check your local laws before hunting with this caliber round. Hope this helps.

markm
09-28-14, 09:19
55 grain is too light a round and shouldn't even be shot out of a 1:7 twist. your barrel is great for heavier rounds I.E. 69 grain and higher.

55 gr rounds are fine in 7 twist barrels and often shoot very well. The only concern I've come across is when combining light 50-55 gr bullets with relatively slow powders like Varget... and running them in Carbine gas barrels. The combo is reported to give accelerated port erosion. There was a manufacturer from another board who'd run testing and noticed this when x-raying the barrels.

Clemonsds
09-28-14, 10:59
Thanks, good to know.

dylank0723
11-24-14, 18:05
Thanks guys

dylank0723
11-24-14, 18:06
Got some silver bear soft point. Big case. Steels gonna have to do until I can save up enough $$ for some good brass

MegademiC
11-24-14, 21:25
62/64 grain federal fusion is probably the best all around load out there. Its $14/20 rds, its a robust soft point, and it has decent accuracy.

Its a bonded load (it wont fragment), it expands reliably, and penetrates deep. It would be way more effective for self-defense than M855 - that shit sucks.