PDA

View Full Version : Problem with BCG sticking forward when cycling

Bret
09-20-14, 15:16
I recently finished putting together a lightweight mid length AR15. I have not shot it yet. I hand cycled some cartridges though it and the BCG is getting stuck. I have to pull rearward really hard on the charging handle before it will come loose. It then ejects the cartridge normally. I tried it with a different BCG and it has no problems. So, I was thinking that perhaps I need to check the headspace. I stripped the bolt and then checked the headspace. The headspace checks fine, but I experience the same sticking problem when with the headspace gauge as with a cartridge. If I use another bolt with the new carrier, there is no sticking. If I use another carrier with the bolt, it sticks, but not near as much. If I use another bolt and carrier, then there is no sticking. So basically at this point I get some sticking with the new bolt, but even more sticking with the new bolt and new carrier. Any ideas on what might be the cause?

Iraqgunz
09-20-14, 15:23
Well you could start by not hand cycling rounds as that serves no purpose at all. Lube the weapon up and shoot it. Then see if there are any issues.

IraqVet1982
09-20-14, 15:42
The cause is they're new, take them outback and break them in. And of course lube.

Bret
09-20-14, 15:48
Well I've never experienced this issue with another AR-15, new or used. I'm just trying to reduce the chances of having a problem before I get to the range. I forgot to add that when I put the new BCG in a couple of Colts that I have, there are no issues.

rcoodyar15
09-20-14, 15:48
The cause is they're new, take them outback and break them in. And of course lube.

Yeah

run it wet especially when new.