PDA

View Full Version : My 700 SPS Tac - A Few Years Later

Canonshooter
09-21-14, 10:31
I always wanted a Remington 700P but it never seemed to make it to the top of my must-purchase list. A few years ago I finally purchased a 700 SPS TAC with the intention of using it as the base of not-too-expensive bolt gun build.

The Shitty Plastic Stock (that's what "SPS" stands for, BTW) was replaced with a B&C and the trigger was replaced with a Timney 510 before a single shot was fired. I mounted a SWFA SS HD 10 X 42 scope in Seekins low rings on a Leupold 15 MOA steel base (bedded to the receiver) and with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 ammo, shot these groups on my first few outings with it last year at 100 yards;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700target-2.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700target-3.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700target-4.jpg

Happy with the performance, I spent some time tinkering with the rifle, including installing a Tac-Pro cheek riser, painting the stock, installing zero-stops in the scope, replacing the flimsy cast bottom metal with a steel unit and bedding it to the stock, readjusting the trigger pull to 2.1 pounds and properly adjusting the scope eyepiece to render the reticle razor sharp. Here is what it looks like now;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700-11.jpg

After over a year, I finally got back to the range with it yesterday. At that point, I had a total of about 50 rounds through the rifle, all shot at 100 yards. The rifle had been a consistent .6 MOA or better performer at 100 so I set up at 200 yards yesterday, and fired a total of nine shots;

The first shot was taken at a 6" plate to foul the barrel, and hit that easily.

I then took three shots, which went into 1.06" (.509 MOA), but I realized I had dialed in correction for 300 yards instead of 200. The windage was dead-nuts on.

I dialed down two clicks (which wasn't enough, of course) and placed five rounds into 1.230" (.591 MOA), four of which went into .825" (.396 MOA). The second shot of the string was the flyer, which I called as soon as the trigger broke.

After all the tinkering and having the action out of the stock countless times, the rifle continues to shoot very consistently and my confidence in it has grown. For a total investment of under $2k (everything purchased new), I am very pleased with how this project has turned out. I am especially pleased with the SWFA scope, both optically and with its robust construction. I was easily able to see my hits on paper at 200 yards.

I think I can now safely say this one is a keeper. I usually get rid of guns that I lose interest in, or guns that do not perform to my expectations. I think I finally have this one set up just as I want it and will now expend some more ammo learning to shoot it better. For a few decades I was an avid hand loader and enjoyed working up accuracy loads for rifles. Some of my old reloading gear didn't make the move with us seven years ago but I think the time and reason has come to get back into it: I have to believe there's more accuracy left to wring out of this rifle and plenty of opportunity to enjoy printing small groups on targets far away.

Consistently accurate rifles sure are interesting, aren't they?

taliv
09-21-14, 20:16
nice shooting and great results from a sub-$2k package.

you know you can paint the metal and scope too

Canonshooter
09-22-14, 05:39
nice shooting and great results from a sub-$2k package.

you know you can paint the metal and scope too

Thank you, taliv. I'm saving my empties and will start hand loading again this winter. My only gripe so far is that the magazine is not long enough to allow proper bullet seating depth, but I will load them to fit the mag and see what happens.

The only reason I painted the stock is that I hated it in black. I sprayed it green when I first put it together;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700-1.jpg

VLODPG
09-22-14, 06:11
Very nice,
What did you use for your bottom metal?

Canonshooter
09-22-14, 17:56
Very nice,
What did you use for your bottom metal?

Thanks!

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-609/Remington-700-M4-BDL/Detail

The steel "tactical" model.

VLODPG
09-22-14, 20:49
Thanks Canonshooter,
Im just waiting for my action to return. Having it done here!

http://www.longriflesinc.com/groupbuys.html

J-Dub
09-23-14, 15:34
I like that....I like that a lot.

Canonshooter
09-27-14, 15:18
I like that....I like that a lot.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to getting back into hand loading and developing some loads for this rifle. In the mean time I'll be trying my hand at 300 yards on the next outing.

BOOSTjunkie
09-30-14, 22:29
thats a great looking clean rifle... nothing extraneous everything you need

Multi-G
10-15-14, 21:04
The SS scopes continue to impress me, had a student use the same scope in a class twice now with excellent results. Glad your enjoying it and looking forward to more.

markm
10-15-14, 21:40
Thank you, taliv. I'm saving my empties and will start hand loading again this winter. My only gripe so far is that the magazine is not long enough to allow proper bullet seating depth, but I will load them to fit the mag and see what happens.

What bullets? If you load 175 gr SMKs (and you SHOULD do so), OAL isn't critical. SMKs can jump a long way and still perform. The load we enjoy in several .308s is 43.8 gr Varget, 210m primer, and 175 gr SMK.

T2C
10-15-14, 21:46
What bullets? If you load 175 gr SMKs (and you SHOULD do so), OAL isn't critical. SMKs can jump a long way and still perform. The load we enjoy in several .308s is 43.8 gr Varget, 210m primer, and 175 gr SMK.

What is your C.O.L. ?

Canonshooter
10-16-14, 17:45

Markm, the Hornady 168 AMAX is the first bullet I want to try (with IMR 4064). The 175 SMK is on the list too and I have made note of your load recommendation.

Thanks!

markm
10-16-14, 17:48
What is your C.O.L. ?

No idea... an average of whatever the load manuals say.... I say average because OTMs are never the same length. Messing with Depth setting when loading SMKs is a waste of time in my experience. Load to mag length or Manual spec, and go from their.

T2C
10-16-14, 21:37
No idea... an average of whatever the load manuals say.... I say average because OTMs are never the same length. Messing with Depth setting when loading SMKs is a waste of time in my experience. Load to mag length or Manual spec, and go from their.

I have been loading at 2.800" C.O.L. or 0.010" off the lands for years. I was hoping you had a better recipe that I could steal and claim was my idea.

taliv
10-16-14, 23:41
well, unfortunately, throat erosion means if you shoot much at all, your lands won't be in the same place very long and if you really plan to stay 10 thou off of them, you're going to have to find a reliable way of measuring and continuously changing your seating depth.

like markm, i prefer shooting bullets that aren't particularly sensitive to seating depth because i'd rather be shooting than figuring out a new load every few hundred rounds