PDA

View Full Version : school me on MRE's

replacement
09-21-14, 20:46
yes I have Google! and I have read tons of threads here.

However, I would like some advice on what brand and how best to buy a few cases of MRE's. I know a few different brands are available and I have read that true government MRE's are not readily accessible. So those here with more knowledge than me, point me in the right direction. I am looking at just ordering from the "Ready store" but still not sure what direction is best. I even saw two different offerings at a local shop with 2016 expire dates.

Thanks in advance, JC

NoveskeFan
09-21-14, 20:56
Govt issue MRE's are available on eBay and most "G.I. Joe" type stores near military bases. I prefer the "real" USGI ones, they are marked govt property and not for resale, but I've ordered some from eBay, no black helicopters circling yet...yet :ph34r: It seems hard to find aftermarket MRE's with the calorie count of the real ones. Are you just looking for something to use for camping or do you want some for just in case? Have you looked into Wise Foods and the other dehydrated food makers?

replacement
09-21-14, 21:25
I am getting more interested in being prepared. I have just a starting amount of Wise dehydrated items and I thought it a good idea to have just few MRE's, thinking two cases. Certainly I have a lot to complete toward a water plan. My question is to be able to buy right the first time by tapping experience here on the forum. I just don't know what brand and what to buy, would rather not guess.

Thanks in advance, jc

GTF425
09-30-14, 00:38
Buy the USGI MREs. Buy a mix of Case A and B and insure they were manufactured within the previous 12 months.

USMC_Anglico
09-30-14, 07:15
Check out Mountain House meals, Mary Janes Farm, Breedlove foods, etc. Dehydrated, add water and they are worlds better than MRE's also much lighter, can provide more calories, most taste better, etc.

I have access to plenty of MRE's and have had them available for my entire career. I keep dehydrated camping food in my basement, use it for camping and in the event of an emergency.

Best bet is to get a couple and taste test. That will seal the deal.

markm
09-30-14, 08:36
I agree with making freeze dried your main stay. MREs are a good grab and go, niche type, quick option to supplement a good freeze dried stash.

Keep an eye on MREdepot.com for periodic releases of more recent production date overrun MREs.

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-14, 16:21
This is where I get my Menu C MREs.

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-1109/MRE-Military-USGI-Meal/Detail

ptmccain
10-01-14, 16:58
Here, problem solved.

Order from these guys:

http://www.armygear.net/d

Nuff said.

Keep in mind they are only a couple hours away from one of the largest US Army facilities in the nation. Just sayin'

3ACR_Scout
10-02-14, 06:02
Those are good prices at Armygear.net. My local surplus store wants $10 ea and (I think) $109 for a case, and they look a bit old, but then again, this is the DC area, so everything is expensive.

I was in an Air Force commissary a couple weeks ago while on TDY and noticed that they sell MREs. I'm not sure if any of my local Army commissaries sell them (quite possible I've just never noticed). I believe they were $8.50 ea, but at least they are new, tax free, and direct from the source without shipping.

Dave

markm
10-02-14, 08:52
This is where I get my Menu C MREs.

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-1109/MRE-Military-USGI-Meal/Detail

Same here. I'll only ship MREs in cooler months because UPS packages show up hot as hell in warm months... and heat is a shelf life killer for MREs.

Fairweather8588
10-02-14, 09:08
I'll chip in that I had a good experience with ArmyGear.net too. Price was cheap and the quality and condition were excellent, so I would have no problem ordering from them again (once it gets cool here like Mark said)

markm
10-02-14, 09:13
Are the dates pretty good from Armygear.net? I try to rotate about one case per year in to keep a rotation that leaves me a few dozen on hand at any given time.

GTF425
10-02-14, 13:30
Same here. I'll only ship MREs in cooler months because UPS packages show up hot as hell in warm months... and heat is a shelf life killer for MREs.

I find this relevant.

Today, I was sitting in my truck eating a Chili Mac MRE. And as I was squeezing the solid brown colored, sitting-in-100-degree cheese into the meal, I wondered just how long those cases were in storage before putting them in the trucks.

And then I ate it and haven't shit myself to death. Yet. Will post SITREP in 24 hours.

GTF425
10-02-14, 13:41
Also, for anyone who's interested, the LRRP Rations are WAY better than MREs. They require boiling water, which is a pain in the ass in the field. But they pack light and are actually pretty delicious. They're freeze dried and last a long, long time.

Plus, they have astronaut ice cream in them. Win.

*EDIT: Just tried to find some for sale out of curiosity. Holy hell, they're way overpriced on eBay. If I can find somewhere selling them for a decent price, I'll put the link in this post with a future edit. But for now, just stick to whatever freeze dried food sources you have. I thought they'd be more in line with MRE prices.

markm
10-02-14, 13:52
I find this relevant.

Today, I was sitting in my truck eating a Chili Mac MRE. And as I was squeezing the solid brown colored, sitting-in-100-degree cheese into the meal, I wondered just how long those cases were in storage before putting them in the trucks.

And then I ate it and haven't shit myself to death. Yet. Will post SITREP in 24 hours.

I had this happen on a solo shoot out in the sticks. Busted out an old MRE of unknown origin/care, and it had some rough looking brown fruit cocktail in it. And the main entre was a little wild.. but I didn't get sick or anyting.

I try to take very good care of my MREs, and won't buy them from unknown vendors.

Stubby
10-02-14, 14:57
Only thing I know about mre's is what comes after http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/1ee348fccf7ba7af87e98a1b3c873dae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
10-02-14, 15:00
Yeah... I've read some rough stories of what happens when extended consumption of MREs is experienced.

A good reason not to put all your stash in the MRE basket.

Doc Safari
10-02-14, 15:01
Only thing I know about mre's is what comes after http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/1ee348fccf7ba7af87e98a1b3c873dae.jpg

This raises an important question.

My girlfriend and I recently visited a "prepper" store in another city, and the owner kept telling us that military MRE's should be consumed with a lot of water so that you maintain normal bowel functions, otherwise they will plug you up--but GOOD.

How true is this?

Are there other ways to prevent this from happening other than drinking lots of water (so that you don't go through your water supply too quickly)?

I'm guessing MRE's are filling enough that in an emergency situation you probably would only eat one a day, but I could be wrong.

What are some of the things to remember when consuming MRE's?

Stubby
10-02-14, 15:06
I've ate MRE's for an extended period of time and let me tell you.... When it decides it wants to come out it didn't care where you are are what you are doing its pretty bad, I'd stock up on some stool softeners if you are going to rely on nothing but MRE's

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-14, 16:09

This is epic . . . :lol:

Stubby
10-02-14, 16:35
This is epic . . . :lol:

Almost as epic as http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/3a2185857c7f7af3c64644fd5c8011e1.jpg

But on a serious note the cheese and crackers as well as the peanut butter will clog you up! Gotta be careful

3ACR_Scout
10-03-14, 16:13
My girlfriend and I recently visited a "prepper" store in another city, and the owner kept telling us that military MRE's should be consumed with a lot of water so that you maintain normal bowel functions, otherwise they will plug you up--but GOOD.

How true is this?
It's definitely true, and we always remind people to drink plenty of water while eating MREs in the military, but I think there are a lot of contributing factors. First, when people eat MREs on the run, they have a tendency to eat the "easy" stuff first, like the crackers and peanut butter, bread, cookies, etc. Not many people enjoy the main meals cold, so people are usually looking for a chance to sit down and heat them up before eating. All those dry carbs start to suck up water, and that's combined with getting dehydrated while working or humping through the woods / fields / desert. On top of that is the initial discomfort of not wanting to go to the bathroom in the woods or a port-a-potty, which seems to make you hold it and get plugged up.

The Army always tries to issue extra snacks ("supplements") such as fruit and milk to add to the MREs, and if we're lucky, we get a hot meal once a day, which helps add variety and keeps you a little more regular, I think. If possible, I would recommend varying the meals, i.e. eat an MRE while on the move during the day, but take time in the evening to prepare a regular meal that will keep you more hydrated.

Dave

Outlander Systems
10-03-14, 16:46
Ugh. MREs.

Mountain House FTMFW.

markm
10-03-14, 17:40
Ugh. MREs.

Mountain House FTMFW.

Completely agree... but MREs do make for a good option when you don't want to have to cook/heat up water, etc.

soulezoo
10-06-14, 12:53
Almost as epic as http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/3a2185857c7f7af3c64644fd5c8011e1.jpg

But on a serious note the cheese and crackers as well as the peanut butter will clog you up! Gotta be careful

No kidding. I think Army Corps of Engineers uses the mashed up crackers and peanut butter with some 100 mph tape to repair the major cracks and leaks in Hoover Dam.

soulezoo
10-06-14, 12:55
Completely agree... but MREs do make for a good option when you don't want to have to cook/heat up water, etc.

This and the MRE also supplies the accessories that a plain Mountain House doesn't have. Like coffee, tea, tabasco and etc. My main meals come from Wise and etc, but I suppliment with an MRE.

replacement
10-11-14, 09:23
Thanks guys - I am adding just a couple of cases. My biggest issue right now is water storage. I just have to spend the money

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-14, 10:40
Just to add to the conversation, the main reason I keep MREs about is for go bags. In the even you are having to E&E you probably won't have the luxury of time and materials to build a fire, boil water, and cook a freeze dried meal. Fires take time, give away your position, et al. A meal squeezed out of a package can be advantageous if one finds themselves in such a situation.

Heavy Metal
10-11-14, 11:58
Are the dates pretty good from Armygear.net? I try to rotate about one case per year in to keep a rotation that leaves me a few dozen on hand at any given time.

They are fresh.

Heavy Metal
10-11-14, 12:00
I will say this, the Mountain House Chili Mac blows the doors off of the MRE Chili Mac.

buckpatriot
10-20-14, 23:17
The military issue MREs are designed to supply a full day's worth of calories in a small package. They do contain a fair amount of sodium and many of the main meals are fairly tasty, better with the supplied Tabasco. They work as advertised though I would not want to rely on them long term without vitamin supplements.

As far as the back end effort- oh yeah, you will have some massive dumps come day 2+ ��

Heavy Metal
10-21-14, 08:30
A single MRE does not come close to a full days calories unless you are a North Korean. They run. 1100-1300 calories per meal if you consume everything in the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Koshinn
10-21-14, 12:50
The military issue MREs are designed to supply a full day's worth of calories in a small package. They do contain a fair amount of sodium and many of the main meals are fairly tasty, better with the supplied Tabasco. They work as advertised though I would not want to rely on them long term without vitamin supplements.

As far as the back end effort- oh yeah, you will have some massive dumps come day 2+ 😰

Maybe they did at one point, but not in the last decade for sure.

Hell, we'd eat 3 MREs and a couple granloa or cliff bars a day and still be losing weight!

3ACR_Scout
10-21-14, 13:32
Maybe they did at one point, but not in the last decade for sure.
Yeah, back around the Desert Storm timeframe in '91 when MREs were new and exciting to the public, I saw news stories on them talking about how they contained 3000-5000 calories each, or something like that. A decade or so later after I came on active duty, I remember a revised study being publicized about how they actually only contained about 1500-1800 each. I'm sure it would be easy to look up, but the Army's planning factor is normally three per day per soldier, and we get extra supplements on top of that, as I mentioned earlier. Ideally one meal a day is a hot one (e.g. UGRs), but that's not always possible.

Dave

jens5
10-26-14, 09:35
One thing to look out for with MRE's are the dates. There are two. The pack date and the inspection date. Go by the pack date and not the inspection date. Be aware of how they have been stored if possible. The cooler the better. 40 deg.F is ideal. We keep some in a dedicated veggie bin in the fridge. Also note, the newer MRE's no longer have matches or the little bottle of Tabasco.

Stubby
10-26-14, 09:37
One thing to look out for with MRE's are the dates. There are two. The pack date and the inspection date. Go by the pack date and not the inspection date. Be aware of how they have been stored if possible. The cooler the better. 40 deg.F is ideal. We keep some in a dedicated veggie bin in the fridge. Also note, the newer MRE's no longer have matches or the little bottle of Tabasco.

We have new mre's at my unit and they have matches in them and little packets of Tabasco or pepper sauce depending on the MRE

jens5
10-26-14, 09:42
We have new mre's at my unit and they have matches in them and little packets of Tabasco or pepper sauce depending on the MRE

Weird. Just got 10 cases of new near Bragg and was surprised to see, no matches or Tabasco. 2014 pack dates. Read about the phenomena of missing a-fore mentioned but thought it to be scuttlebutt.