PDA

View Full Version : David Limbaugh's, "Jesus On Trial" Banned From New York Times Best Seller List!

Denali
09-21-14, 22:21
http://washingtonexaminer.com/omg-limbaughs-jesus-banished-from-nyt-best-seller-list/article/2553612

There they go again.

The New York Times Book Review, which has a history of belatedly recognizing conservative bestsellers, has banished conservative legal author David Limbaugh’s latest, Jesus on Trial, from its upcoming best seller list despite having sales better than 17 other books on the list.

Unlike a likely majority of you, I can remember a time when the the United States would never have tolerated such an overt, and malignant bit of Marxist social engineering to proceed unpunished, the Times clearly emulates the method of its most favored mentor, "Pravda," and the glory days of the Soviet Union...

montanadave
09-22-14, 00:47
Sales figures can be misleading. Special interest groups with strong political or religious agendas not infrequently purchase large quantities of one book or another, which they subsequently give away as promotional material or freebies.

Not saying that's the case in this instance, but I have read of various "bestseller" lists scrutinizing book sales and alerting to purchases of large blocks of a specific book by one or two buyers.

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 02:07
Sales figures can be misleading. Special interest groups with strong political or religious agendas not infrequently purchase large quantities of one book or another, which they subsequently give away as promotional material or freebies.

Not saying that's the case in this instance, but I have read of various "bestseller" lists scrutinizing book sales and alerting to purchases of large blocks of a specific book by one or two buyers.

You mean like Oprahs Book Club? Seems like her books always make the list, even the ones that later turn out to be fabricated.

I'm sure a lot of "religious motivation" factored into the box office receipts for "The Passion of the Christ" (2004). Should we discount it's actual ranking? NYT "best sellers" should be based upon sales, if people aren't astute enough to understand what is driving those sales then they deserve every copy of books by Bill O'Reilly, James Carville or any other idiot who has a massive fan base despite their lack of actual talent for writing.

montanadave
09-22-14, 02:53
You mean like Oprahs Book Club? Seems like her books always make the list, even the ones that later turn out to be fabricated.

I'm sure a lot of "religious motivation" factored into the box office receipts for "The Passion of the Christ" (2004). Should we discount it's actual ranking? NYT "best sellers" should be based upon sales, if people aren't astute enough to understand what is driving those sales then they deserve every copy of books by Bill O'Reilly, James Carville or any other idiot who has a massive fan base despite their lack of actual talent for writing.

Oprah can plug a book and certainly drive sales through the roof, but I'm referring to those instances when a one individual or an organization (such as a PAC) makes a commitment to a publisher to buy five or ten thousand copies of a book, which they then give away to donors, subscribers, or simply toss in the garbage.

Individual sales, regardless of how they might have been influenced, still reflect folks buying a book. Mass orders to pad sales numbers by religious or political organizations reflect a very different type of sale.

The_War_Wagon
09-22-14, 06:40
NY Slimes... NY Slimes... didn't they used to print a newspaper? :confused:

MountainRaven
09-22-14, 12:56
I can't recall the last time I bought a book because it was on a bestsellers list. Not even one as hallowed and illustrious as the New York Times.

Abraham
09-22-14, 13:25
I'm an atheist, but not your anti-faith/destructive type.

That said, I think all who have faith should be treated with the same approach as any author.

If your book sells, then why on earth wouldn't the sellers treat it as a well received book? I don't get it.

Frankly, I wish I had faith.

I don't.

However, I happy for those who do and wish them the best.

P.S. Every now and then I poke fun at them, without I hope being thought as being malicious...

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 13:49
Oprah can plug a book and certainly drive sales through the roof, but I'm referring to those instances when a one individual or an organization (such as a PAC) makes a commitment to a publisher to buy five or ten thousand copies of a book, which they then give away to donors, subscribers, or simply toss in the garbage.

Individual sales, regardless of how they might have been influenced, still reflect folks buying a book. Mass orders to pad sales numbers by religious or political organizations reflect a very different type of sale.

You don't think there is some kind of arrangement between Oprah and publishers?

Safetyhit
09-22-14, 13:50
The NYT never fails to disappoint. Nothing to get worked up over and anyone who would read that book probably won't be scouring their bestseller list anyway.

No.6
09-22-14, 18:12
Not a problem in my house; I've banned the New York Times....