PDA

View Full Version : Improved M16 metal mag?

Slater
09-22-14, 08:23
Looking at this latest "gee whiz" presentation, a couple pages into it is an attempt at an improved GI M16/M4 mag. Guess the new(ish) tan follower isn't getting it done?

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2014armaments/WedLucas.pdf

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 13:52
Isn't the 416 marine magazine the solution to this problem?

jedi391
09-23-14, 00:51
I think the improved mag would be the pmag......but they banned them, because you know, bureaucracy.

kaltesherz
09-23-14, 00:52
Isn't the 416 marine magazine the solution to this problem?

You can't be serious... sarcasm is sometimes lost on the internetz so I have to ask.

Funny thing about the tan follower, MagPul offered to sell them their followers to the Army at a discount, rumor was the cost to retrofit every mag in it's inventory was less than the cost of developing their own version. Of course the Army refused, took years to design their own and it's less reliable than the MagPul follower that they basically copied.

There's stupid, and then there's Army stupid.

thopkins22
09-23-14, 01:04
I think the improved mag would be the pmag......but they banned them, because you know, bureaucracy.

Funny thing about the tan follower, MagPul offered to sell them to the Army at a discount, rumor was the cost to retrofit ever mag in it's inventory was less than the cost of developing their own version. Of course the Army refused, took years to design their own and it's less reliable than the MagPul follower that they copied.

Not invented here.

Explain to me just how someone is supposed to justify his position, have something developed to slither his way up the command, and hopefully get a nice position at or lobbying for a large firm upon retiring if they just point towards great products that already exist and were developed without taxpayer money? These things don't happen for stupid reasons...they happen for corrupt reasons. Which is why it's always mind boggling when they screw up and get something right.

kaltesherz
09-23-14, 01:26
Not invented here.

Explain to me just how someone is supposed to justify his position, have something developed to slither his way up the command, and hopefully get a nice position at or lobbying for a large firm upon retiring if they just point towards great products that already exist and were developed without taxpayer money? These things don't happen for stupid reasons...they happen for corrupt reasons. Which is why it's always mind boggling when they screw up and get something right.

I'll just drop this here:
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/21/us-army-developed-ironman-ammo-pack-costs-more-than-commercial-version-it-emulates/

Slater
09-23-14, 06:17
I noticed that the presentation mentioned testing of a modified mag "optimized for the M855A1". Does this cartridge have issues feeding from standard mags?

albatrossarmament
09-23-14, 08:48

That is certainly a matter of opinion.

Junkie
09-23-14, 10:23
That entire PPT is a bag of fail, emblematic of the lack of knowledge.

-Poster PEO Soldier with Beretta, in fubar presentation, and no idea wtf
-no idea what the end state should be.. accessories, suppressors, etc..
-Soldier with M4 in, fubar firing position looking silly.
-300% increase in the mean rate between stoppages.. really? One can't say 300% more reliable in feed related stoppages? Is this what they mean? Or..?/ as compared to what, some POS legacy ones they stomped on prior to "test"?Stating 300% increase in mean rate between stoppages is less vague to me, although I'd probably say that mean rounds between stoppage increased by 300% (rather than rate). It would be helpful to know what it's being compared to, though.

markm
09-23-14, 11:19
You can't be serious... sarcasm is sometimes lost on the internetz so I have to ask.

I was thinking the same thing.

MistWolf
09-23-14, 11:25
The source is a power point presentation with very little actual information. It reads like a sales brochure. No sense in giving it any credence

Digital_Damage
09-23-14, 15:30
PEO soldier is good at one thing, blowing money. They "design" something that is typically already in the market at a fraction of the cost and is usually a substandard implementation of the civilian version then force it down everyone's through policy changes. That magpul/follower fiasco is a perfect example.

Just listen to this stupid shit... It is just officer name dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgBpWGiJNrM