PDA

View Full Version : Commiebaba, Ahem, I mean, Alibaba

Outlander Systems
09-22-14, 19:06
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=Surefire+x400

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=Trijicon

What a joke.

'Nuff said.

SeriousStudent
09-22-14, 20:33
You do know that Alibaba is a Chinese search engine that specializes in dealers and manufacturers in mainland China? So it's pretty much doing exactly what its builders designed it to do.

If you think it's something like Google or Yahoo or DuckDuckGo, it's not.

The organization I work for has data centers in Hong Kong and Shanghai. My minions there use Alibaba all the time. I use it when I work with them. But like the kids say these days: "It is what it is."

And it's not what it's not. I'm not talking smack or anything, just pointing out it's a specific type of search engine designed to do specific things for specific people.

Hope that helps.

wildcard600
09-22-14, 20:44
I think he may have been referring to the huge selection of knock-off products, not really about the company themselves.

SeriousStudent
09-22-14, 21:00
I think he may have been referring to the huge selection of knock-off products, not really about the company themselves.

Understood. Ya can't attend a gun show here in the states, without tripping over six tables piled high with NC Star crap.

But that's indeed where all the shitty knockoffs come from.

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 21:48
I hope everyone realizes that everything from China, regardless of any manufacturers markings, are completely counterfeit.

The one that pisses me off is they have FLOODED the antique Japanese sword market with artificially aged, pot metal crap they made last week advertised as genuine 14th to 18th century katana. This is made worse that the Japanese did indeed leave a lot of Shin Gunto WWII sword in China, but you can't even trust those to be genuine.

Outlander Systems
09-23-14, 06:51
Understood. Ya can't attend a gun show here in the states, without tripping over six tables piled high with NC Star crap.

But that's indeed where all the shitty knockoffs come from.

True.

My point is that, for a "legitimate" website to be openly hocking counterfeit items is somewhat surprising.

Then again, it's China, so...

SeriousStudent
09-23-14, 23:35
True.

My point is that, for a "legitimate" website to be openly hocking counterfeit items is somewhat surprising.

Then again, it's China, so...

Yep, their views on copyright laws and patent infringement are a wee bit different than ours.

SteyrAUG
09-24-14, 01:13
Not only gun shows, but Gunbroker and other sights are jammed full of fakes.

Used to be a place to find good deals on used gear, now you find airsoft crap marked Trijicon and Aimpoint. Had a friend who thought he got some killer deals on some Knights mounts only to have one break and discover they were die cast metal.

Koshinn
09-24-14, 02:38
I hope everyone realizes that everything from China, regardless of any manufacturers markings, are completely counterfeit.

The one that pisses me off is they have FLOODED the antique Japanese sword market with artificially aged, pot metal crap they made last week advertised as genuine 14th to 18th century katana. This is made worse that the Japanese did indeed leave a lot of Shin Gunto WWII sword in China, but you can't even trust those to be genuine.

... what? There are tons of products legitimately manufactured in China.

Yes there are many counterfeits too, but it's far from "everything."

SteyrAUG
09-24-14, 02:55
... what? There are tons of products legitimately manufactured in China.

Yes there are many counterfeits too, but it's far from "everything."

Ok, to be fair. Things like Briggs and Stratten engines are now made in China. But they are subpar to the ones that were made here only 10 years ago. So I shouldn't have said "everything", it's more accurate to say "most things."

I think China now leads the world in counterfeit branded items.

Koshinn
09-24-14, 03:28
Ok, to be fair. Things like Briggs and Stratten engines are now made in China. But they are subpar to the ones that were made here only 10 years ago. So I shouldn't have said "everything", it's more accurate to say "most things."

I think China now leads the world in counterfeit branded items.

Also tons of electronics. Cisco makes essentially everything in China, and I'd imagine most internet traffic runs through Cisco products.

Apple makes all their crap in China, as do most (if not all) other computer companies.

A lot of legit gear companies make stuff in China too. Arc'teryx does or did make a few products in China, that combat boot whose name I forgot but LAV gave very high praises to is made in China (edit - Tactical Research Kiowa by Belleville)... and the list goes on.

But yes, China also probably leads the world in counterfeit items too. And many things they develop and make in-house are terrible as well - their cars I think rated 0 stars in crash tests a couple years back.

But that's not saying America inherently makes things better nor is it saying that America has no counterfeit industry. But America does seem to place quality as more important that price, which is why when American companies outsource to China and hold to QA standards, you see good products.

SteyrAUG
09-24-14, 14:09
Also tons of electronics. Cisco makes essentially everything in China, and I'd imagine most internet traffic runs through Cisco products.

Apple makes all their crap in China, as do most (if not all) other computer companies.

A lot of legit gear companies make stuff in China too. Arc'teryx does or did make a few products in China, that combat boot whose name I forgot but LAV gave very high praises to is made in China (edit - Tactical Research Kiowa by Belleville)... and the list goes on.

But yes, China also probably leads the world in counterfeit items too. And many things they develop and make in-house are terrible as well - their cars I think rated 0 stars in crash tests a couple years back.

But that's not saying America inherently makes things better nor is it saying that America has no counterfeit industry. But America does seem to place quality as more important that price, which is why when American companies outsource to China and hold to QA standards, you see good products.

I also agree "Made in the USA" hasn't meant anything special for a long time now. I wasn't attempting that argument either.

markm
09-24-14, 14:20
Alibaba afforded me the great opportunity to buy FAKE LaRue index clips and keep my money out of Cuckoo's hands. So it's not ALL bad. :)

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-14, 16:15
So is the BCM GUNFIGHTER stock available on there yet?

:jester:

Outlander Systems
09-24-14, 17:20
So is the BCM GUNFIGHTER stock available on there yet?
:jester:

I'm waiting for a $10 Raptor CH.

Honu
09-24-14, 18:04
in description :)

Tactical design with dummy fiber cable for decoration.

at least they are not TOTALLY lying just partially :)

Mauser KAR98K
09-24-14, 20:02
On a musician side, they have been a lot of fakes come into the country. There is a host of fake Gretsch White Falcons. Recently they have been getting better atr making the fakes.

SeriousStudent
09-24-14, 21:01
Just a few things to think about regarding Alibaba.

They are the largest e-commerce group in China. Sales through their portals totaled over $250 billion dollars. That's twice as much as Amazon. Jeff Bezos would run over his grandmother in front of her priest to get that kind of revenue.

A quarter of Alibaba's recent IPO was purchased by Yahoo. That's a 'Murican company. They are selling a chunk of that for cash, which they do need.

So yes, there is a lot of pirated ripoffs on their website. As in billions of dollars worth.

I am not defending them, just pointing out that they are a serious player in the market. If you are in e-commerce, you need to be aware of them and take them seriously. Just like if I was the US Navy someplace in the Pacific, I'd want to know where the PLA Navy was and what they were doing.

Belmont31R
09-24-14, 23:47
Just a few things to think about regarding Alibaba.

They are the largest e-commerce group in China. Sales through their portals totaled over $250 billion dollars. That's twice as much as Amazon. Jeff Bezos would run over his grandmother in front of her priest to get that kind of revenue.

A quarter of Alibaba's recent IPO was purchased by Yahoo. That's a 'Murican company. They are selling a chunk of that for cash, which they do need.

So yes, there is a lot of pirated ripoffs on their website. As in billions of dollars worth.

I am not defending them, just pointing out that they are a serious player in the market. If you are in e-commerce, you need to be aware of them and take them seriously. Just like if I was the US Navy someplace in the Pacific, I'd want to know where the PLA Navy was and what they were doing.

Exactly, and just want to add that Ebay and Amazon have their own Chinese made goods and knock offs. Just look for phone cases on Amazon. Almost all of them are Chinese brands you won't find in a store here. Yet tons of people are buying them. Or you can go to Best Buy, and pay over MSRP for a Otterbox case thats probably not anymore well built. At least not for the cost difference.

People buying $10-15 phone cases is a gold mine for some company over there. Global economy and all that.

Big A
09-25-14, 10:48
Exactly, and just want to add that Ebay and Amazon have their own Chinese made goods and knock offs. Just look for phone cases on Amazon. Almost all of them are Chinese brands you won't find in a store here. Yet tons of people are buying them. Or you can go to Best Buy, and pay over MSRP for a Otterbox case thats probably not anymore well built. At least not for the cost difference.

People buying $10-15 phone cases is a gold mine for some company over there. Global economy and all that.

Indeed. I bought my original otterbox off of Amazon because it was half the cost of Best Buy and Wal-Mart and when the jacket for it stretched out and was unusable I bought one of the Chinese knock off ones for like 3 bucks and it has held up far longer than the original otterbox jacket.