PDA

View Full Version : I Don't See How Anyone Can Live In CA...

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 21:34
This is so retarded it goes beyond words.

http://i61.tinypic.com/14k8dc4.jpg

For those who don't know, that is a CA LEGAL auto knife. Of course this is the same state that regulates two sticks tied together (nunchaku), any semi auto with a detachable magazine but nobody would blink if you walked around in a "pink tutu with a dildo strapped to your head" because they are the freedom state when it comes to expression.

Belmont31R
09-22-14, 21:40
I grew up there and its one of the best states to live in because you can visit the beach, mountains, and desert all within one day. And despite their laws there are still a lot of jobs there that pay pretty well. There are a ton of really pretty areas all up and down the state. Aside from something like LA type swamps they literally have pretty much every climate one could see.

I still miss the beaches, and stuff to do despite how retarded their politics are.

Ideally, no one should really care if you walk around with a dildo on your head or a set of ninja tools.

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 21:50
I grew up there and its one of the best states to live in because you can visit the beach, mountains, and desert all within one day. And despite their laws there are still a lot of jobs there that pay pretty well. There are a ton of really pretty areas all up and down the state. Aside from something like LA type swamps they literally have pretty much every climate one could see.

I still miss the beaches, and stuff to do despite how retarded their politics are.

Ideally, no one should really care if you walk around with a dildo on your head or a set of ninja tools.

I understand the state is pretty, I'll give it that. But it is full on retarded when it comes to the Nanny State laws. Grown adults can't own a full size knife just because it's an auto? Might as well carry a Nerf Knife.

Bubba FAL
09-22-14, 22:22
Left there in 2001 after putting up with the stupidity for 8 years - and we lived in the "conservative" part of the state. Yes, it's pretty, and I miss the climate and geography very much, but the closest i'll get to that lunatic asylum is Arizona or Nevada.

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing to come out of CA is my daughter.

JBecker 72
09-22-14, 22:35
I lived in the SF bay area from 2011-2012 (Sonoma county to be exact). I would have loved to have stayed if the place weren't run by idiots and everything I enjoyed doing wasn't illegal.

I really miss the mexican food, the beer, and of course the nice weather.

And I'm actually pretty sure I can't legally carry an auto knife like a Benchmade Infidel here in VA.

Belmont31R
09-22-14, 22:48
I understand the state is pretty, I'll give it that. But it is full on retarded when it comes to the Nanny State laws. Grown adults can't own a full size knife just because it's an auto? Might as well carry a Nerf Knife.

Auto knives were illegal in Texas up until recently. Pretty much every state has some retarded laws on the books. Just depends on what your poison is.

TehLlama
09-22-14, 22:53
Had to go through the process of looking at residency openings in CA - it came down to whether or not we wanted to live in CA or a free state (AZ/TX), so hopefully we'll get to stay or go to Phoenix. I did my stint of ignoring fktarded laws whilst living in CA, but it really wasn't worth it. I can drive in and visit all the awesome parts easily enough, living there doesn't feel that requisite to enjoying it (since I've discovered I prefer mountain biking and shooting to anything else; the only thing that would take me to California would be a job at Google, SpaceX, or Riot Games).

Iraqgunz
09-22-14, 23:14
Guess what? Lots of states don't allow auto knives. They were prohibited in TX until just recently.

Straight Shooter
09-22-14, 23:50
And in TN, up until 1JULY14. TN had some ****ED UP knife laws. Now, NO KNIVES are illegal in TN.
But let me add this about CA...climate & geographical beauty aside...several years back when I drove OTR I FLAT OUT stated from the outset whenever I joined a company, I WOULD NOT cross the CA line for ANY reason. They are freakin INSANE on trucks, truck driver fines and violations, real, or imagined. NO WAY am I ever ever ever going into that state for the rest of my life. Ive argued with more than one dispatcher about it, and had my job threatened more than a few times. I WON every time.

SteyrAUG
09-23-14, 00:57
Auto knives were illegal in Texas up until recently. Pretty much every state has some retarded laws on the books. Just depends on what your poison is.

But those are carry laws, not laws against ownership.

SteyrAUG
09-23-14, 00:59
Guess what? Lots of states don't allow auto knives. They were prohibited in TX until just recently.

Ownership? So machine guns were good to go but you couldn't own an auto knife? Really?

Belmont31R
09-23-14, 01:05
Ownership? So machine guns were good to go but you couldn't own an auto knife? Really?

Really. And not just them but stilettos and other such more obscure "fighting knives".

For all the Texas pride this state has you'd still get arrested in a heartbeat for carrying a Bowie knife...you know the knife named after the guy who died defending the Alamo.

ABNAK
09-23-14, 03:08
Don't know about you duuuudes, but these awesome beaches I keep hearing about.......I actually like getting into the water at a beach! That Pacific off Kali is COLD, and don't say it isn't.

For those who would deny:

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach/california-ocean-temperature.html

Campbell
09-23-14, 06:15
LOL! My wife grew up there..."wetsuit water".

Don't know about you duuuudes, but these awesome beaches I keep hearing about.......I actually like getting into the water at a beach! That Pacific off Kali is COLD, and don't say it isn't.

For those who would deny:

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach/california-ocean-temperature.html

Magic_Salad0892
09-23-14, 06:36
I lived in CA for most of my life. It sucks. No if, ands, or buts about it. It's a terrible state.

Everybody is super disrespectful, nobody wants to hire you, every cop wants to arrest you for any reason, everything is super expensive, everything is illegal, it's super hot all the time, and the only good things are that the food is great, the beaches are nice, and it's super easy to pick up chicks there.

Everything else about it blows.

TXBK
09-23-14, 07:36
That exact knife is still illegal to carry in Texas, because it is a dagger (D/E).

No.6
09-23-14, 09:49
Really. And not just them but stilettos and other such more obscure "fighting knives".

For all the Texas pride this state has you'd still get arrested in a heartbeat for carrying a Bowie knife...you know the knife named after the guy who died defending the Alamo.

I've been in Texas most of my life and still can't get my head around that (the no Bowie carry law). At least we made some progress with autos and blade length laws, instead of a mis-mash of city ordinances. In my town, the max length until the law changed was 2.5".

TAZ
09-23-14, 10:07
Are you sure about the knife law till just recently. I know they were illegal to carry on public, but was not aware it was also illegal to own. Pretty much every butcher knife in the state would be illegal if they were illegal to own instead of carry.

Not defending the stupid, just want to clarify.

SOW_0331
09-23-14, 10:19
Steyr, you married? Have kids?

Firearms and weapon laws are very important to me. I have used them in real life for the entire first decade of my adult life. Several times I drove around in CA with a G19 on my hip and my M4 riding passenger, my rear gunner with a FA SCAR-17. All that aside, there's more important things in life.

I keep my guns and remain very proficient with them because I will always protect my children. I would cut my own hand off if it would take away the pain of their toothache, that's how much those little turds mean to me. When the best way for me to offer them a high quality of living was working based out if Cali, I took it.

Magic_Salad pretty much nailed it for a description of the Majority of the state, especially the cities. To each their own, I know some guys who turned down good jobs to not live in states that do emissions test in and have made import cars illegal. I guess we all have to make thise choices with our own personal ideals in mind.

C-grunt
09-23-14, 10:28
And in TN, up until 1JULY14. TN had some ****ED UP knife laws. Now, NO KNIVES are illegal in TN.
But let me add this about CA...climate & geographical beauty aside...several years back when I drove OTR I FLAT OUT stated from the outset whenever I joined a company, I WOULD NOT cross the CA line for ANY reason. They are freakin INSANE on trucks, truck driver fines and violations, real, or imagined. NO WAY am I ever ever ever going into that state for the rest of my life. Ive argued with more than one dispatcher about it, and had my job threatened more than a few times. I WON every time.

My aunt is an owner/operator and has a few drivers that work for her as well. Her main client is a mining operation in Ca and she hauls those giant tires to them for their mining vehicles. The trucking laws got so stupid there she had to buy a brand new "CA Legal" truck just to be able to drive there.

C-grunt
09-23-14, 10:29
Had to go through the process of looking at residency openings in CA - it came down to whether or not we wanted to live in CA or a free state (AZ/TX), so hopefully we'll get to stay or go to Phoenix. I did my stint of ignoring fktarded laws whilst living in CA, but it really wasn't worth it. I can drive in and visit all the awesome parts easily enough, living there doesn't feel that requisite to enjoying it (since I've discovered I prefer mountain biking and shooting to anything else; the only thing that would take me to California would be a job at Google, SpaceX, or Riot Games).

Phoenix is cool. The weather sucks 4 months out of the year but other than that its great here.

brickboy240
09-23-14, 10:39
Although I agree with the "how the hell can anyone live in CA?" sentiment...it is for very different reasons than not being allowed and auto knife. In TX...we could not buy those up until recently...funny thing is I never knew this was a law, nor did I ever want one! I don't feel "more free" now because we can have an auto knife. BFD...most are much crappier quality than a good folder....who cares if it opens faster? The same goes for no open carry here...again...I do not feel less free because I cannot openly carry a pistol.

The things I do find unbearable about CA are the hig cost of living, the crazy gun laws, the over crowded cities and freeways and the silly laws, like no gas powered weedeaters. Also the fact that if you lean conservative or libertarian...you are NEVER represented by ANY elected officials. You are paying very high taxes but getting ZERO representation in political offices.

Those things make it hard to consider living there. The 70 degree year round weather and pretty beaches are not enough to make it worth it to live there.

Obviously others are able to put up with the nonsense or maybe they grew up around it and are just used to it. Thats ok...someone has to live there.

-brickboy240

Mauser KAR98K
09-23-14, 10:46

That's alright. Tennessee banned it when he was still alive and, guess what, from the state.

diving dave
09-23-14, 11:16
I'm a Cal native, and have worked in law enforcement in the Bay Area for about 25 yrs... But freedom is calling me, I'm retiring in Montana. I'll miss the weather, but that's about it. I see a SBR and suppressor in my future

brickboy240
09-23-14, 11:46
Unless you are a celebrity or pro athlete....nobody can afford to retire in CA or NY...can they?

SteyrAUG
09-23-14, 14:21
Although I agree with the "how the hell can anyone live in CA?" sentiment...it is for very different reasons than not being allowed and auto knife. In TX...we could not buy those up until recently...funny thing is I never knew this was a law, nor did I ever want one! I don't feel "more free" now because we can have an auto knife. BFD...most are much crappier quality than a good folder....who cares if it opens faster? The same goes for no open carry here...again...I do not feel less free because I cannot openly carry a pistol.

The things I do find unbearable about CA are the hig cost of living, the crazy gun laws, the over crowded cities and freeways and the silly laws, like no gas powered weedeaters. Also the fact that if you lean conservative or libertarian...you are NEVER represented by ANY elected officials. You are paying very high taxes but getting ZERO representation in political offices.

Those things make it hard to consider living there. The 70 degree year round weather and pretty beaches are not enough to make it worth it to live there.

Obviously others are able to put up with the nonsense or maybe they grew up around it and are just used to it. Thats ok...someone has to live there.

-brickboy240

The auto knife thing is kind of a metaphor. Honestly I think a fixed blade usually beats every auto hands down as a defensive tool. But that grown adults with no criminal history or other prohibiting factors would be denied a folding knife because it can be opened with one hand just pings the hell out of my Absurd-O-Meter.

I could probably get through the rest of my life without ever needing an auto knife. But for a state to restrict such an item is as ridiculous to me as banning the game Monopoly and making possession of said board game illegal.

Straight Shooter
09-23-14, 14:44
That's alright. Tennessee banned it when he was still alive and, guess what, from the state.
That's right. But it aint banned no more brother..IT AINT BANNED NO MORE! :)

TehLlama
09-23-14, 14:47
Unless you are a celebrity or pro athlete....nobody can afford to retire in CA or NY...can they?

Why retire there in a house if you can move virtually anywhere else and retire in a mansion on an estate? Not even celebs or pro athletes retire there if they can help it.

Outlander Systems
09-23-14, 17:52
The auto knife thing is kind of a metaphor. Honestly I think a fixed blade usually beats every auto hands down as a defensive tool. But that grown adults with no criminal history or other prohibiting factors would be denied a folding knife because it can be opened with one hand just pings the hell out of my Absurd-O-Meter.

I could probably get through the rest of my life without ever needing an auto knife. But for a state to restrict such an item is as ridiculous to me as banning the game Monopoly and making possession of said board game illegal.

It's most likely because they're "scary".

I've come to accept that we live in a world of buffoons, dude.

SteyrAUG
09-23-14, 18:15
It's most likely because they're "scary".

I've come to accept that we live in a world of buffoons, dude.

I'm aware of that, but sometimes I forget.

HackerF15E
09-24-14, 07:13
In the last year, my Uncle made me move out to California. Based on what I'd heard my entire life, I expected it to be like moving into DiFi's house. I was not looking forward to it in any way.

It is easy as an outsider to throw spears at Cal for all of the idiotic firearms laws in the last 25 years here, and it leads to some very broad and incorrect assumptions about both the people and atmosphere in the state. On firearms forums over the last decade or so, I've frequently joined in the chorus of people chanting for people to leave to "free states", and even putting blame on the folks who lived here for making their own bed politically.

Since living in Cal, though, I've changed my tune a bit. Unfortunately, the urban centers dominate state politics and are largely responsible for the idiocy in this state, but outside of those areas I think you guys who haven't lived in Cal would be *very surprised* -- just as I was -- that there is an alive-and-well firearms and shooter culture in the Golden State. Interestingly enough, there are more gun stores and ranges around the part of Cal that I live than I've seen *anywhere* in the US...and I've lived in many of the red states in the south during my mil career, including (west-to-east): Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Georgia, and North Carolina.

When I visit shooting ranges here (to include state-owned outdoor ranges, private clubs, privately-owned indoor ranges, etc) I am shooting along side pretty much the same types of folks that I'd find in any of the other states. The ranges are *packed* most of the time, and people are shooting a wide range of types of firearms.

So, while certainly Cal has some very idiotic political leanings, laws, and is NOT a state with firearms-friendly laws, it isn't at all the 9th Circle of Hell that I thought it would be and that a lot of folks who've never actually been here say it is.

JBecker 72
09-24-14, 11:51
The nicest gun ranges I've ever been to were in California. Sacramento has a very nice range out to 1000 yards. I watched a service rifle match there and I was impressed. I also used to love the Saturday night steel shoots at the San Leandro gun range.

Doc Safari
09-24-14, 12:47

Same with New Mexico. You can own all the machine guns you want but Thou Shalt Not own a switchblade.

Denali
09-24-14, 13:17
Same with New Mexico. You can own all the machine guns you want but Thou Shalt Not own a switchblade.

How bizarre! Here is a fairly decent link detailing various states laws on the possession and carry of such devices,

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws

In some of the states most unfriendly to such knife ownership, you will be surprised to discover that they are far more friendly to firearms freedoms, which is really just bizarre considering both items are sacrosanct under the auspices of Amendment number II of the US Constitution. I find it particularly amusing that up here in far Northwestern Wisconsin I am free to own sound suppressed pistols and rifles, while at the same time a Microtech OTF is verboten....

SteyrAUG
09-24-14, 14:12
In the last year, my Uncle made me move out to California. Based on what I'd heard my entire life, I expected it to be like moving into DiFi's house. I was not looking forward to it in any way.

It is easy as an outsider to throw spears at Cal for all of the idiotic firearms laws in the last 25 years here, and it leads to some very broad and incorrect assumptions about both the people and atmosphere in the state. On firearms forums over the last decade or so, I've frequently joined in the chorus of people chanting for people to leave to "free states", and even putting blame on the folks who lived here for making their own bed politically.

Since living in Cal, though, I've changed my tune a bit. Unfortunately, the urban centers dominate state politics and are largely responsible for the idiocy in this state, but outside of those areas I think you guys who haven't lived in Cal would be *very surprised* -- just as I was -- that there is an alive-and-well firearms and shooter culture in the Golden State. Interestingly enough, there are more gun stores and ranges around the part of Cal that I live than I've seen *anywhere* in the US...and I've lived in many of the red states in the south during my mil career, including (west-to-east): Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Georgia, and North Carolina.

When I visit shooting ranges here (to include state-owned outdoor ranges, private clubs, privately-owned indoor ranges, etc) I am shooting along side pretty much the same types of folks that I'd find in any of the other states. The ranges are *packed* most of the time, and people are shooting a wide range of types of firearms.

So, while certainly Cal has some very idiotic political leanings, laws, and is NOT a state with firearms-friendly laws, it isn't at all the 9th Circle of Hell that I thought it would be and that a lot of folks who've never actually been here say it is.

I simply could never live there, there are some things I'm unwilling to live without. I understand the entire state isn't Berkeley, but still couldn't live there. I couldn't even live in the state my family came from, Iowa, because it isn't a NFA state and there are LOTS of things that would make me want to live there including open carry.

Denali
09-24-14, 15:23
I simply could never live there, there are some things I'm unwilling to live without. I understand the entire state isn't Berkeley, but still couldn't live there. I couldn't even live in the state my family came from, Iowa, because it isn't a NFA state and there are LOTS of things that would make me want to live there including open carry.

I would add that not only would I never even like to visit Kalifornia, but that I would like the adoption of a mandatory minimum five(5)year waiting period on all refugees fleeing that cesspool in voting in their new states local elections! This is exactly how Colorado was lost, and how Washington State is being lost!

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-14, 16:13
I'm sure CA is a beautiful place, well besides shit holes like Oakland, Stockton, etc. but I could never visit there much less live there. Almost every consumer product that I purchase from big box stores have warning labels plastered all over the packaging concerning some limp wrist CA regulation.

Well that and all the fruits and nuts that inhabit the state.

No thanks . . .

GeorgiaBoy
09-24-14, 23:31
California would be a much better place if most of its Southwestern Coast fell off into the Ocean.

Belmont31R
09-24-14, 23:41
California would be a much better place if most of its Southwestern Coast fell off into the Ocean.

When I lived there (left in 2003) San Diego, and Riverside areas voted Republican.

Not surprising but theres a pretty close correlation between the Hispanic population numbers, and the state's voting record. I've checked a few times, and Riverside County has gone Democrat since I left.

ABNAK
09-25-14, 02:01
Not surprising but theres a pretty close correlation between the Hispanic population numbers, and the state's voting record.

Hold on! The Republicans assure us that if we only grant them amnesty they'll SURELY vote "R", 'cause of their traditional family values and all. :rolleyes: Hey, they've voted overwhelmingly Republican since amnesty in '86, right? Oh, wait..........

brickboy240
09-25-14, 11:44
I wish they'd STAY there!

They keep moving to Texas in record numbers. Sure...some might be conservatives that have finally had enough but I am sure plenty of them will come here and vote for the same type of nonsense that sunk CA all over again.

There has always been running jokes in Austin and Houston about Dallas people moving in and ruining things but the people from NY and CA will do ten times the damage to Houston, Austin and the whole state than anyone from Dallas could ever dream of doing.

-brickboy240

Whiskey_Bravo
09-25-14, 11:56
The problem with the people from Dallas that are moving to Houston or Austin(not sure how you can eff up this city anymore though) is that they were originally from California.

JoshNC
09-25-14, 20:30

The definition of the 9th circle of hell is not being able to own MGs, SBRs, sound suppressors or even standard un-neutered modern autoloading rifles. I lived in Palo Alto for a year and respectfully disagree with you; other than the weather and scenery CA sucks.

Bubba FAL
09-25-14, 20:56

You know, I felt the same way when we first moved to CA back in '93, but over the years the idiocy just kind of wears on you. It'll be interesting to see how you feel in a few years.

Bubba FAL
09-25-14, 21:04

Here's another fun fact about CA. When you retire and start drawing a pension or from your 401k, the state of CA is gonna come after you for taxes on whatever portion of that retirement income was accrued while you were a CA resident - regardless of your state of residence when you retire. Nice, huh? If nothing else, the politicians out there excel at separating people from their money. Hell, the city of LA even tried to tax the satellites in orbit above the city!

HackerF15E
09-25-14, 21:47
It'll be interesting to see how you feel in a few years.

Won't be here then. As soon as my Uncle is no longer paying BAH, I won't be living here anymore.

HackerF15E
09-25-14, 21:52
The definition of the 9th circle of hell is not being able to own MGs, SBRs, sound suppressors

I haven't had any of that stuff in my last 25 years of owning and shooting firearms, so that isn't a big deal for me. Obviously, it is asinine that stuff is illegal in Cal, just that doesn't tick the deepest-depth-of-hell for me. YMMV.

or even standard un-neutered modern autoloading rifles.

This is, indeed, complete horseshit, and the single most crap-tastic thing about being a firearms owner in the state.

I lived in Palo Alto for a year and respectfully disagree with you; other than the weather and scenery CA sucks.

Palo Alto=bay area, and by definition not at all representative of the rest of the state that I was describing in my post.

wild_wild_wes
09-27-14, 00:04
Sacramento has a very nice range out to 1000 yards.

I've shot in the Long Range Tactical match on it... yes the range is very nice, but the wind picks up if you end up on the second relay :cool:

JBecker 72
09-27-14, 00:22
I've shot in the Long Range Tactical match on it... yes the range is very nice, but the wind picks up if you end up on the second relay :cool:

I remember. Even at the 600 yard line for the service rifle match the wind was whipping pretty good. Still I was impressed by the facility.

a1fabweld
09-27-14, 11:04
Yes Sac Valley shooting center is the cats whiskers. I shot the "tactical" 1K matches there for a while. Best shooting facility I've ever seen.

Otherwise, yes CA's politics are ass backwards as are the people who vote for these politicians. But I live in the mountains of NorCal. It's mostly conservative up here aside from a few Bay Area transplants. They're easy to deal with however. I just push their Priuses off the road with my diesel in passing. No we can't have SBRs, FAs, supressors, and we have to neuter our black rifles. When my family obligations no longer keep me here, I may burn rubber for a different state. In the meantime, as long as you keep clear of SoCal and the Bay Area, it's not so bad. I refuse work weekly in the bay because I fk'ing hate the people and congestion there with a passion. If the Bay Area and SoCal fell into the ocean, CA might just be the place to be.