PDA

View Full Version : NFA Form 1 returned for documentation

Sierra415
09-24-14, 18:39
Hey all,

I submitted a Form 1 application for AOW as a trust. I recently received a letter from the ATF saying that they returned my application for the following reason:

1. Please provide documentation and pictures of how firearm will be modified into NFA configuration.

I'm turning an AR pistol into an AOW. The barrel length is 7.5 inches and the overall length is 25 inches. The plan is to install a VFG on it once I receive the stamp.

This seems like a trap, as I don't want to run afoul of Federal "constructive intent" by sending a picture of my pistol with either a VFG attached (I will not do this) or a picture of my pistol and a VFG in the same picture. Has anyone else received a notice like this? Will a photograph of the pistol and a rifle with a VFG attached, along with a letter explaining the intended attachment of the VFG work?

Thank you very much for y'alls help!

Jwknutson17
09-24-14, 18:49
Are you not filing a form 1 for a SBR? What type of weapon are you building, and what is the end result your trying to accomplish? If you just want a VFG on a 7.5 SBR, then you should file a form 1 for a SBR. The AOW is where you went wrong.

Sierra415
09-24-14, 19:00
No SBR, California only allows for AOWs as far as NFA items, unless you have a permit from CA DOJ.

I'm turning an AR pistol into an AOW, to attach a vertical foregrip and for any legal purposes.

MH64
09-24-14, 19:10
I would consider submitting a photo that is an obvious photoshop rendition of what you are planning.

the_1iviper
09-24-14, 19:18
why did you F1 the pistol lower ? i believe what your trying to accomplish can be done without submitting a F1. if you build your pistol 26" or over i believe it becomes a "firearm" and is no longer a pistol so you can now install a vfg on it. no need to register it as an AOW.

i'm not sure if it's different in CA or not but hopefully someone that knows will be by to post up

Sierra415
09-24-14, 19:29
why did you F1 the pistol lower ? i believe what your trying to accomplish can be done without submitting a F1. if you build your pistol 26" or over i believe it becomes a "firearm" and is no longer a pistol so you can now install a vfg on it. no need to register it as an AOW.

i'm not sure if it's different in CA or not but hopefully someone that knows will be by to post up

I want to retain the ability to have a weapon shorter than 26 inches. It's 25 OAL with a 3" muzzle device, which will be changed out.

albatrossarmament
09-26-14, 09:44
All you are trying to do is add a forward pistol grip to a pistol. It's simple. That would be an AOW. Just send them a picture of what you are trying to do. They are government employees and get confused easily.

Sierra415
10-07-14, 13:22
So I just got off of the phone with ATF, which I should have done in the first place. The intent of their letter was for me to detail that the firearm would not be modified in violation of CA state law... So they just want a picture of the "fixed magazine device" or bullet button.

All you are trying to do is add a forward pistol grip to a pistol. It's simple. That would be an AOW. Just send them a picture of what you are trying to do. They are government employees and get confused easily.

As a government employee, this statement confuses me.