PDA

View Full Version : Got My Ass Handed To Me By An Old Man Tonight...

SteyrAUG
09-26-14, 01:40
I have positively identified my assailant as "Bill Wallace."

I know this because I went to the Palm Beach Boxing Gym where he was doing a seminar. I should probably mention the subject is 68 years old. He tricked myself and several other naive martial artists onto the mat with promises of a "free seminar" and then he proceeded to humiliate us with superior levels of flexibility, speed, timing and overall level of fitness.

I tried to elicit some consideration from this 68 year old by pointing out that I was in my mid 40s and thus a middle aged man who simply can't do the things he was demonstrating. This made Bill Wallace angry and annoyed and he punished us further by making us try and keep up with him as he toyed with us and landed front leg side, round and hook kicks at will.

Here is Bill preparing to accost some poor martial artist in his late 20s.

http://i59.tinypic.com/35ch7qv.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/vhukur.jpg

As you can clearly see, he is evil, violent and deranged. Hapless MMA fighters with a decade of experience felt his wrath. Aged and old Yudansha such as myself tried to keep our eyes low and not anger the mighty Wallace. Thankfully I didn't know it was going to be a training seminar and I was still in my street clothes as I tried to emulate him.

And then he did the worst thing of all, when it was over, he was a genuinely nice guy.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10603361_707971445950336_8736420746166800281_n.jpg?oh=25c79adb361d9fffe2930877f615c41c&oe=54C5B25E&__gda__=1418075576_4b062b943f3675cfe7191e4ec1f1aef9

None of us will ever be right again.

:sarcastic:

Seriously though, this guy kicked ass. I've trained with some notables before and I've had the benefit of some expert instructors but what was a workout and challenge for us was more of a warm up for him. The guy "still has it" all these years later and that is no easy thing.

Having a great day, got to meet and work out with one of my childhood heroes.

Chameleox
09-26-14, 01:55
You too, huh?

I recall meeting Mr. Wallace (and possibly his heel) once before.

jpmuscle
09-26-14, 01:57
Please tell me there is video of this?

ABNAK
09-26-14, 02:36
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. I watched some YouTube videos of him a while back.....his flexibility and agility was unreal. Even knowing which foot he kicked with didn't help!

He is predominant with one foot, right? IIRC he injured his knee on either that or his other leg and therefore learned to kick (ass) with his favored appendage.

Wasn't he supposed to fight Chuck Norris once?

SteyrAUG
09-26-14, 02:38
Please tell me there is video of this?

I WISH there was video. I wouldn't even care that video existed of me getting my ass kicked by Bill Wallace. I could have sidelined and rolled video or I could have trained, I feel I made the right decision.

SteyrAUG
09-26-14, 02:42
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. I watched some YouTube videos of him a while back.....his flexibility and agility was unreal. Even knowing which foot he kicked with didn't help!

He is predominant with one foot, right? IIRC he injured his knee on either that or his other leg and therefore learned to kick (ass) with his favored appendage.

Wasn't he supposed to fight Chuck Norris once?

Yep, took a knee injury practicing Judo so he became a left foot wonder. He could throw side kick, round kick and hook kick combinations with one leg...without putting it down...and with the same dexterity and control that most fighters throw jabs, hook punches and back fists.

If anyone was wondering, he retired Middleweight PKA champion undefeated after six years with a record of 23 wins (13 by knockout) and 0 losses. And many of those knockouts were due to side kicks to the body.

The only time he got close to fighting Chuck Norris was in the movie "A Force of One" (1979). Norris did the majority of his tournament career in the 1960s becoming "Fighter of the Year" Black Belt Hall of Fame in 1969. By contrast Bill Wallace competed in 1974-1980 when Norris was working on his film career.

But Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis (one of the Big Three of 1960s Karate along with Norris and Skipper Mullins) did fight an exhibition match in 1990 ending in a draw.

ABNAK
09-26-14, 03:08
If I remember he kicks with the leg that he injured the knee on. That enabled him to pivot and such on his leg with the good knee, right? I know for a fact that knee problems can inhibit the pivotting necessary for roundhouse and side kicks.

SteyrAUG
09-26-14, 03:20
If I remember he kicks with the leg that he injured the knee on. That enabled him to pivot and such on his leg with the good knee, right? I know for a fact that knee problems can inhibit the pivotting necessary for roundhouse and side kicks.

No, he actually uses the knee injured leg as the support leg. It wasn't a catastrophic injury, just one he could have made worse with regular use. He's even been known to throw it a time or two just to catch people off guard. But the leg with the injury was never going to be "fighting class" and he knew it so he worked around his limitations.

Just a good thing he never went up against the Cobra Kai.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1ADLV/sweep-the-leg/image.png?w=400&c=1

chuckman
09-26-14, 07:26
Years ago I took boxing lessons, just for the fitness. After several months the trainer asked me if I would like to spar, and since I saw myself as the modern day Mohammad Ali, I said 'sure.' My partner/opponent was a man 25 years older than I, the round lasted about 20 seconds, and I got my ass kicked. As they say, "education occured" and I learned some important lessons.

Honu
09-26-14, 07:28
name from the past :) pretty cool !!!

uffdaphil
09-26-14, 07:47
I'd frame a selfie of my bruises.

Don Robison
09-26-14, 08:19
That's some cool stuff Steyr. When I was a kid growing up in the 70s early 80s I read every magazine I could that had Bill Wallace in it.

SeriousStudent
09-26-14, 19:47
On behalf of old men everywhere, I'm delighted to read this. :cool:

Seriously, it's terrific that you got to meet one of your boyhood role models. I have been able to do that several times now, and have greatly appreciated their time and graciousness.

JBecker 72
09-26-14, 19:55
I just watched a youtube video of that "old man". Dude is lightning fast.

Never heard of him before this thread...

kwelz
09-26-14, 20:06
For those who have not had the pleasure of seeing him in actions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r58rS09Tlg

And this is him going slow while teaching. His speed, control and balance are amazing. You know he is going to kick with the left leg. You expect it and it will happen. The problem is actually stopping it.

JBecker 72
09-26-14, 20:14
For those who have not had the pleasure of seeing him in actions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r58rS09Tlg

And this is him going slow while teaching. His speed, control and balance are amazing. You know he is going to kick with the left leg. You expect it and it will happen. The problem is actually stopping it.

That's the one I watched. He is a beast.

Cincinnatus
09-26-14, 21:05
Every kick he loads looks the same, that's how he gets you, he can come at you with any of the five angles of attack from the same load so you have no indicator of what's coming. He is also a master of broken rythm fighting. :D

sandman99and9
09-26-14, 21:15
SteyerAUG, do you have video of Billy Jack telling you he is going to put his right foot on the left side of your face ?? LMAO, I would pay good money for that video so I could post it here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVX-voqWuwY

S.M.

SteyrAUG
09-26-14, 21:23
That's the one I watched. He is a beast.

The part at about 2:26 when he somehow angles around your guard with a roundhouse kick, that is the one that started to get old with me. Nothing like being POSITIVE you have that area covered and getting pinged anyway.

wetidlerjr
09-26-14, 22:34
Yeah, old men from Indiana can be nasty. :sarcastic:

montanadave
09-27-14, 16:06
Izzy Mandlebaum says, "It's go time!"

JBecker 72
09-27-14, 16:09
Izzy Mandlebaum says, "It's go time!"

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxwegiiXYa1qza49co1_500.png

davidjinks
09-27-14, 16:23
I never got to meet this man however, when I was 15, I got a chance to go hands on with Cynthia Rothrock.

My girlfriends step dad was a Kung Fu instructor. I was going to a different place for my training at the time. He invited me up to his place for a BIG surprise.

Cynthia Rothrock was the surprise. Amazing woman and teacher! Man could she kick!

alienb1212
09-27-14, 18:40
He has that "I'm gonna **** your world up" look that I've seen on many an E-9....

williejc
09-29-14, 05:46
I must depend on an old age and treachery mixture when not equipped with my trusty 870 and night vision goggles as I lay my head down to sleep. :cool:

ramairthree
09-29-14, 11:09
It is amazing what guys that are world class, both by genes and hard work and lifetime dedication,
can continue to do as they age.
Be it shooting, martial arts, other sports, etc.

I had a grizzled old shop teacher that had gone to college on AF ROTC, peacetime jet pilot after Korea, before VN,
then was on a minor team for the Pirates for a few years.

He was the baseball coach for like twenty years.

Even at the end, he was a class above the rural high school and small college starters.

He worked in a machine shop for a few years before becoming a teacher,
with Dan Wesson before he started making pistols.