PDA

View Full Version : Colt vs BCM

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-28-14, 17:05
Hey guys I'm kind of new to the site. I have a Colt 6920 that I love, my brothers girlfriend wants to get him a rifle for Christmas. Her buget is around $1000, I think we've narrowed it down to Colt and BCM. Both I've found for around that amount for a base model. My question; is one any better than the other or is it personal preference? I only have experience with my Colt but I know BCM makes great rifles as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

firefighter37
09-28-14, 17:10
Both are great choices. Colt has brand recognition more so than BCM. Both are equal quality. Colt will usually have a higher resale value because people recognize the name. Can't go wrong either way.

ptmccain
09-28-14, 17:13
Can you teach my wife how to buy me rifles?

Awesome.

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-28-14, 17:15
Can you teach my wife how to buy me rifles?

Awesome.

Lol I can try!! His girlfriend is trying to get on my good side I think.

crawlin95
09-28-14, 17:16
Bcm but really can't go wrong with either.

Airhasz
09-28-14, 17:17
Personal preference as both will serve you well.

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-28-14, 17:21
Thanks guys/girls I was leaning towards BCM only because I have a Colt and we've always had different preferences. I'm a sig guy, hes a glock guy ect.. plus I've never shot a BCM so im curious as well.

GregP220
09-28-14, 17:34
Both are great choices. Colt has brand recognition more so than BCM. Both are equal quality. Colt will usually have a higher resale value because people recognize the name. Can't go wrong either way.

BCM seems to have some momentum in the brand recognition, but I always wonder how much all the "gun celebs" endorsement of BCM adds to the price of their guns.

murphman
09-28-14, 17:34
I would say they are equal in quality but if I had to chose it would be BCM. With BMC's sale page on uppers and current special of a free BCG with purchase of a BCM upper, I would go that route and buy a BCM complete lower from Grant at G&R tactical and call it a day. For around the price of a 6920 you can get a BCM with a Daniel Defense rail or one of the many other configurations BCM offers.

ptmccain
09-28-14, 17:41
" With BMC's sale page on uppers and current special of a free BCG with purchase of a BCM upper, I would go that route and buy a BCM complete lower from Grant at G&R tactical and call it a day."

This.

firefighter37
09-28-14, 17:45
I prefer my BCMs to my Colts, but would grab one from either maker with no hesitation. If it matters to him, the BCM will probably have a nicer finish, but all of my guns are tools, not showpieces.

Uprange41
09-28-14, 17:45
I'd rather throw money at BCM than Colt, but other than that, I wouldn't care which way.

Berserkr556
09-28-14, 17:53
BCM is above Colt. Colt is the standard but BCM goes above with their QC and first rate service. You can't go wrong with either, I have a couple Colts from the days before BCM.

3ACR_Scout
09-28-14, 18:05
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but I'd recommend BCM for the simple fact that they offer mid-length gas systems and Colt doesn't, which if you've done some reading here, makes the recoil a little softer and extends the life of the rifle and its components compared to a carbine-length gas system. I'd recommend choosing a complete, 16" mid-length gas system BCM rifle for him. Colt is an excellent and proven brand, and I just got a Colt lower myself to build an M4-style rifle (do people still say "M4gery?"), but I'd recommend a BCM in this case.

Dave

Nightstalker865
09-28-14, 18:12
I've got nothing against Colt, but as others have mentioned BCM gives you more options.

Take the time to watch this interview. If I weren't a BCM fan already, it would sway me for sure.

http://youtu.be/JPLRUZbK_6I

MistWolf
09-28-14, 18:25
...I'd recommend BCM for the simple fact that they offer mid-length gas systems and Colt doesn't...

This. Neither choice is the wrong one, but I prefer the middy over the carbine as a personal preference.

One advantage to the Colt 6920 barrel- It's already measured and marked as to where I'd cut it for an SBR

Eurodriver
09-28-14, 18:28
" With BMC's sale page on uppers and current special of a free BCG with purchase of a BCM upper, I would go that route and buy a BCM complete lower from Grant at G&R tactical and call it a day."

This.

Why do people want to complicate things that are so simple?

JS-Maine
09-28-14, 18:43
I paid more for my BCM BFH middy than I would have had I gone Colt, and I'd do it again instantly. The price difference is negligible now, but even so, paying a little more for a BCM mid length just makes sense for a lot of reasons.

The only down side is his rifle will be better than yours.;)

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-28-14, 18:59
I haven't even thought about the mid-length gas system, good call guys. The only problem now is thst he's gonna have a better rifle than I do lol. BCM it is!! That's some brotherly love.

Briman1001
09-28-14, 20:58
Buying the lower from g+r and adding a upper from bcm's site gets you a complete rifle for the same cost as a 6920 but the bcm will already have a rail and be free float. Unless of course you get a 6720 from PSA for $799 shipped like I did. Decisions right? They still have them in stock.

samuse
09-28-14, 21:20
Now is the time to buy!

I'm somewhat of a Colt snob, but I rate BCM as at least equal. I've run both equally hard and they both perform 100%.

sonny22
09-28-14, 21:29
i went with BCM

i like the 16in. mid-length lightweight with A5 buffer system

buckkiller35
09-28-14, 22:36
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but I'd recommend BCM for the simple fact that they offer mid-length gas systems and Colt doesn't, which if you've done some reading here, makes the recoil a little softer and extends the life of the rifle and its components compared to a carbine-length gas system. I'd recommend choosing a complete, 16" mid-length gas system BCM rifle for him. Colt is an excellent and proven brand, and I just got a Colt lower myself to build an M4-style rifle (do people still say "M4gery?"), but I'd recommend a BCM in this case.

Dave

I agree.

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-28-14, 23:33
Guys, we went with the BCM 16" middy ss barrel (figured I'd get him something different) with the DD rail.got the BCG for free $710 out the door. Going to Gn'R to get a BCM lower sent to my local shop $399. I feel like he's getting a great gun for a nice price. Thanks a ton for the help. He's lucky, my first AR was a Del-Ton upper and MP sport lower with a utg rail that some gun shop guy told me was "badass" then I found this site and my eyes were opened. I think for his first AR hes doing good, cant wait until Christmas to see him break into it. We're going to take the gun apart and wrap all the parts individually. Again thanks guys.

Quiet Riot
09-29-14, 06:37
BCM seems to have some momentum in the brand recognition, but I always wonder how much all the "gun celebs" endorsement of BCM adds to the price of their guns.

Paul isn't just paying for an endorsement- he's getting real R&D feedback from all of the guys on the list. The money is being spent on designing better products, not just better visibility.

Take the BCM rail covers, for example. They made it all the way to pre-production units, but Paul scrapped them completely after getting feedback from those guys. Other companies don't even have that step in their product introduction cycle, meaning that we would all be complaining about the substandard rail covers if BCM didn't invest in their Gunfighter list.

That said, even though BCM is smaller than Colt or Bushmaster or other high volume producers, their volume is still pretty high compared to the amount invested in the list. I doubt the actual per-unit cost is anything that would get your attention.

ptmccain
09-29-14, 06:41
I think that you pay a premium to have the "rampant colt" logo on anything. Good stuff though, to be sure. I'd go with BCM though, better QC in my opinion.

3ACR_Scout
09-29-14, 07:19
I think that you pay a premium to have the "rampant colt" logo on anything.
That sounds like what people used to say ten, or maybe five years ago, but now, with 6920s available for $899 from multiple sources, and some other models even as low as $799, I can't see how anyone is paying a "premium." I even got my complete 6920 lower for $399 (same as most BCM lowers) from a dealer on GB who breaks up complete rifles for people that want the components. There really aren't any other manufacturers matching those prices for what you get. I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete BCM rifle for under $1000.

JS-Maine
09-29-14, 07:43
Cant wait until Christmas to see him break into it. We're going to take the gun apart and wrap all the parts individually.

You're darn right he's lucky! That's one heck of a gift! You might really get him fooled if you make it look like you only got him the lower and parts. Stash the upper in the next room and let all the other gifts be opened, then pull the ole "Oops, we missed one here."

MarkG
09-29-14, 08:25
Delete

TMS951
09-29-14, 10:24
I'd go with BCM though, better QC in my opinion.

Not to knock BCM at all but can you quantify this? Or cite a source? Or is this a statement you pulled out of your nether regions?

--------------------------------

To the OP:
I think that BCM and Colt are technically meant to be of equal quality. If you read or watch what BCMs owner states and the statements of industry professions that endorse the product you'll see them say 'mil-spec' quality. Which I take to mean the same quality as Colt.

So with out of the way it leaves to things, brand recognition (mainly only effecting resale) and configurations.

If you are buying with the plan of handing it down to a descendant or selling it some point I think the Colt is a better choice. I have never bout a full factory AR before, until just recently when I ordered an Colt 6720 from PSA for 799$. It was a deal to good to pass up, and I thought it would be good to have a complete gun in my collection.

But this leads to configuration. I have never bought a full AR, but built 7 in the past because I could not buy exactly what I wanted. The 6720 is the only Colt I would consider, and I still think the carbine gas system on an 16" barrel is not ideal.

BCM offers some great configurations, and some parts I consider better, like Hammer forged barrels.

If I was after a gun I was going to use, and use up, I'd buy a BCM and be able to get much closer to if not the actual gun I wanted.

Cobrasks
09-29-14, 10:25
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but I'd recommend BCM for the simple fact that they offer mid-length gas systems and Colt doesn't

Dave

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say when I clicked on this thread .

Colt has had enough time to get with it and make a mid-length but for
some reason the company is slow when it comes to change .
If Colt made a 6920 that was a mid-length it would sell like crazy .

JS-Maine
09-29-14, 10:57
Colt has had enough time to get with it and make a mid-length but for
some reason the company is slow when it comes to change .

They've basically been on the gov't teet for so long that they lost incentive to innovate. Hmm..Imagine that. The market is obviously there, but other companies are taking the lead in innovation instead.

Cincinnatus15
09-29-14, 11:04
That sounds like what people used to say ten, or maybe five years ago, but now, with 6920s available for $899 from multiple sources, and some other models even as low as $799, I can't see how anyone is paying a "premium." I even got my complete 6920 lower for $399 (same as most BCM lowers) from a dealer on GB who breaks up complete rifles for people that want the components. There really aren't any other manufacturers matching those prices for what you get. I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete BCM rifle for under $1000.

Where are Colts selling for that price?

Flankenstein
09-29-14, 11:10
Not to knock BCM at all but can you quantify this? Or cite a source? Or is this a statement you pulled out of your nether regions?

Definitely his nether regions. But hey he is an overweight middle aged man with a youtube channel whatever he says must be true!

Flankenstein
09-29-14, 11:12
Now is the time to buy!

I'm somewhat of a Colt snob, but I rate BCM as at least equal. I've run both equally hard and they both perform 100%.

I'm with you. All things being equal I prefer Colt...Nothing at all wrong with BCM...They are def the "cool" guys right now though so the fanboyism is tiresome on the forums sometimes.

TMS951
09-29-14, 11:42

6720 799$, shipping to me was 17$

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/17847/s/colt-ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel/category/4345/

jataylor11
09-29-14, 11:54
BCM gets my vote. Mid length, countless options via their site, and the free BCG deal.

3ACR_Scout
09-29-14, 12:17
6720 799$, shipping to me was 17$

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/17847/s/colt-ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel/category/4345/
CDNN is also still doing the $899 6920 deal:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/6920-16-flat-top-rogers-ret.html#.VCmS0Xi9LCQ

DSG Arms seems to offer that price around holidays (I think I saw them go as low as $849 last year).

richiecotite
09-29-14, 12:21

Palmetto State Armory has had colt 6720's (lw barrel) for $799 for the past 2 months. I got mine no tax, free shipping as well.

Cincinnatus15
09-29-14, 12:29
CDNN is also still doing the $899 6920 deal:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/6920-16-flat-top-rogers-ret.html#.VCmS0Xi9LCQ

DSG Arms seems to offer that price around holidays (I think I saw them go as low as $849 last year).

CDNN reputable source?

Flankenstein
09-29-14, 12:32
CDNN reputable source?

Yes, they are.

Abraham
09-29-14, 14:30
A little thread jacking: Still being the newbie that I am, why is the Mid Length superior to Carbine Length?

Because recoil is lessened or ...?

Is there any down side for a mid length vs carbine length?

zombiescometh
09-29-14, 14:41
A little thread jacking: Still being the newbie that I am, why is the Mid Length superior to Carbine Length?

Because recoil is lessened or ...?

Is there any down side for a mid length vs carbine length?
Here's one to get you started.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?55079-Conclusion-after-reading-about-carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

Abraham
09-29-14, 14:45
zombiescometh,

Thanks for the help, my research skills blow...

HMsailor
09-29-14, 18:24
having a LE6920 yourself and asking which is better between a bcm or colt doesnt make sense at all.

Renegade04
09-29-14, 18:43
I haven't even thought about the mid-length gas system, good call guys. The only problem now is thst he's gonna have a better rifle than I do lol. BCM it is!! That's some brotherly love.

Good decision. I also believe that the BCM ARs are some of the best on the market. I have three Colt ARs (1977 SP1, 1993 Sporter Match HBAR, and a 2008 LE6920), but the BCMs are made much better. As a matter of fact, I own a BCM Jack Carbine that I really like. If faced with the same decision as you, I would definitely go BCM.

iamjaymo
09-29-14, 22:37
Used a Colt carbine on duty for 10 yrs. and it never once failed me. Loved it. I do find my midlength BCM more pleasurable to shoot however. It has never failed me either. Can't go wrong with either but when I spent my own money for a rifle, it was BCM.

joeyjoe
09-29-14, 22:38
I own nothing but Colt and BCM guns. As far as the general quality of the rifles, id say they are both roughly equivalent. That is to say, Colt and BCM are both of excellent quality. Ultimately, I lean a bit towards BCM simply because of the many options (gas system, barrel type, rail configuration etc). At the very least, Colt should be offering Block II inspired carbines with 12" DD RIS II's (I know they have the socom w the heavy barrel, but no one wants a heavy barrel ;) ). Also offer Mk18 inspired carbines with DD rails etc.

NCGREENSWAMP13
09-29-14, 22:57
having a LE6920 yourself and asking which is better between a bcm or colt doesnt make sense at all.

Well just because I own one doesn't mean I think it's the best. I still have much to learn, when I bought my Colt I wasn't familiar with BCM. I come here to learn. I've learned a lot so far.

VIP3R 237
09-29-14, 22:58
I lean more towards BCM, but the Colt's I've owned have grouped better than the BCM's.

GMP
09-29-14, 23:04

Cheaper if you look...

10mmSpringfield
09-30-14, 09:53
My 6940 is the most accurate 16" 5.56 rifle I own, may be a fluke, may be the extra weight makes it easier to stabilize.

My BCM mid upper I built groups .5-1" more at 100 yds with the same Colt 6940 lower.

Iraqgunz
09-30-14, 12:44
I would definitely like to know how you reached this conclusion.

I think that you pay a premium to have the "rampant colt" logo on anything. Good stuff though, to be sure. I'd go with BCM though, better QC in my opinion.

ryantx23
09-30-14, 12:59
My 6940 is the most accurate 16" 5.56 rifle I own, may be a fluke, may be the extra weight makes it easier to stabilize.

My BCM mid upper I built groups .5-1" more at 100 yds with the same Colt 6940 lower.

Not knocking either one, but I have had the opposite experience personally. My BCM 16 inch upper shot this 5 round group yesterday with 60 grain V-Max's at 101 yards off sand bags.

10mmSpringfield
09-30-14, 14:33
That's great shooting.

GunBugBit
09-30-14, 14:38
A premium? Colt firearms seem reasonably priced to me.

sasage
09-30-14, 15:14
You can still pick up at 6720 for 799 at PSA.

henschman
09-30-14, 15:27
I prefer BCM with their much greater options when it comes to barrel length, gas system length, and barrel profile. Quality is pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say both Colt and BCM carry a premium... you can get an upper with all the same specs from PSA, with a FN barrel, for hundreds less.

LDB
09-30-14, 15:57
I just ordered a nice BCM upper with the free BCG and free compensator. Then I ordered a BCM lower from G&R. Even with a bit of upgrading I'll have about $1070 plus FFL fee for a complete above basic level rifle. So I have to vote BCM.

JS-Maine
09-30-14, 20:34
... you can get an upper with all the same specs from PSA, with a FN barrel, for hundreds less.

Would a qualified M4 guru please address this statement in a bit if detail? We know PSA sells FN barreled uppers, but what about the details like the PSA middy gas port size vs BCM middy? Does PSA torque their barrel nuts/muzzle devices to spec? Does PSA really sell uppers with the same specs as BCM or Colt? Not to change the title to BCM vs Colt vs PSA because they are not in the same league but comparing upper assemblies narrows the scope a bit.

whatthepuck
09-30-14, 21:41
Were it me, I'd buy the factory complete Colt for under $900 and start stockpiling ammo...

Iraqgunz
09-30-14, 21:53
He's totally off the reservation. I have seen PSA barrels with ports all over the place. Then there is the "double speak" when it comes to their BCG's.

Would a qualified M4 guru please address this statement in a bit if detail? We know PSA sells FN barreled uppers, but what about the details like the PSA middy gas port size vs BCM middy? Does PSA torque their barrel nuts/muzzle devices to spec? Does PSA really sell uppers with the same specs as BCM or Colt? Not to change the title to BCM vs Colt vs PSA because they are not in the same league but comparing upper assemblies narrows the scope a bit.

JS-Maine
10-01-14, 11:11
Thank you. The crux of the argument lies in the QC at companies like Colt and BCM. Imperfections in barrels, port sizes, receivers, torque values, etc. are important details to me. I want die-hard guns that will run when called upon without question, so saving hundreds and getting that same product and performance is not realistic. Though I wouldn't agree that they "carry a premium" in price, I would say they do carry a premium in quality and performance, which is worth every red cent when lives are in jeopardy.

Don't get me wrong. PSA rifles have their place as plinking guns, training guns, hog blasters, etc. but a gun that can be relied on through extended periods of all out war...well I'm a fan of that.

He's totally off the reservation. I have seen PSA barrels with ports all over the place. Then there is the "double speak" when it comes to their BCG's.

Atlshaun
10-01-14, 11:15

I prefer Colt over everything, but I will add that PSA has stepped up to the plate with the BCG's specifically. The new premium BCG's are laser engraved MPI/HPT so there shouldn't be any more confusion around the "Just trust us, they are HPT/MPI bolts." They have also wrangled in their shipping issues but that's for another thread.

Their non premium barrels may also have issues but all the ones I have are FN and honestly have performed as well as anything else I have shot

Granted, I have never shot anything but Colt and PSA enough to have an opinion but I can't complain about my experience with the PSA premium equipment which is still a bargain price comparatively.

DISCLAIMER: I love Colt's (admitted fan-boy) and I am from SC so I bought PSA equipment initially to support them because they are a SC Company.

MoeBettuh
10-01-14, 11:22
I don't think it's been mentioned, but IIRC Bravo Company offers a better warranty than Colt. That more than likely doesn't matter, though.

I was in this same predicament a couple of months ago and wound up with a BCM middy. I couldn't be more pleased with it. That said, I'm sure I'll own a Colt within the next 6-12 months.

sinlessorrow
10-01-14, 17:56
Bcm imo. Colt is the gold standard but BCM has set out to meet that expect a tion and they have done that well with more options, better prices, and much better CS.

Flankenstein
10-01-14, 18:02
Bcm imo. Colt is the gold standard but BCM has set out to meet that expect a tion and they have done that well with more options, better prices, and much better CS.

More options for sure.

Better CS- yep.

Better prices? Not so sure about that.

sinlessorrow
10-01-14, 18:06
More options for sure.

Better CS- yep.

Better prices? Not so sure about that.

My 14.5" SOCOM upper from BCM only cost $450, tough to beat.

texas48
10-01-14, 18:19
I have a Colt and a BCM carbine upper on a spikes lower. The BCM/Spikes is more accurate than the Colt. Both are great rifles both accurate , well machined the edge goes to the BCM/Spikes.

The hypnotized never lie

Flankenstein
10-01-14, 18:26
My 14.5" SOCOM upper from BCM only cost $450, tough to beat.

Yea with the upper/bcg sale. Right now a factory Colt rifle is cheaper than a factory BCM rifle. That what I was getting at.

onado2000
10-01-14, 20:11
...Unless of course you get a 6720 from PSA for $799 shipped like I did. Decisions right? They still have them in stock.

Ah man, I HATE LIVING IN CT !!!!!!

veeklog
10-01-14, 23:01
Can't go wrong with either, have built several rifles using BCM barrels, BCG's, and blemish uppers. IMHO they are some of the best source for AR15 accessories and uppers. However, I have never had a problem with any of my complete Colts rifles or uppers I built using Colt parts. I don't have a problem with my issued M4, either.

You can't go wrong with either; both will give you many enjoyable times at the range, training, or duty use. But I am not a fan of the mid length. I have owned BCM and RRA mid length, and I honestly don't see the big deal. If I want shorter dwell time and less recoil, I will shoot my rifle length gas system. The only mid-length I will ever consider is a KAC SR15; i just like their products

fdxpilot
10-02-14, 08:34
CDNN reputable source?

I have bought a couple HK handguns from them. Quick service and reasonable shipping. No problems so far. Their catalog is a little cheesy, but their prices on a lot of stuff is good.

MarkG
10-02-14, 09:33
Yea with the upper/bcg sale. Right now a factory Colt rifle is cheaper than a factory BCM rifle. That what I was getting at.

The fanboys have BCM on the brain and the math is fuzzy to them. I'm thinking a Colt 6920 has always been cheaper than the comparable BCM model. The Colt being ready to shoot out of the box and the BCM requiring a rear sight.

PureBS90
10-02-14, 09:42
I have a Colt 6920 as well as a BCM Midlength BFH with Daniel Defense 9" Lite II free float rail. Overall my experience is that BCM is better machined and has a beefier BCG, but my Colt has a better MILSPEC trigger out of the box.

7.62NATO
10-02-14, 10:49

SiGfever
10-02-14, 12:07
When confronted with the same dilemma, I bought both. A Colt LE6920MP-B, and a BCM 14.5" ELW w/13"KMR (BCM BCG), that I mated to a Mega lower with DD LPK. Both are very fine rifles but I like my BCM better, it is insanely light and very accurate for my abilities. YMMV.

Not_drowning_just_waving
11-09-14, 20:06
Being an AR newbie, I was faced with a similar choice recently. Since I was planning to leave it stock, I went with the 6940. I'm very happy with it. That being said, I didn't know what I didn't know. I wouldn't mind a longer rail, but that's an impossibility with the 6940. I'd like a QD end plate, but I'm not sure how I feel about breaking the factory staking. The solution? I just ordered a BCM lower from Grant. I'll save up for a BCM upper that fills a different role than the 6940. In my experience, you can't go wrong with either. Your next AR ( and there WILL be a next one), you can go with the other in a different configuration.

Cobrasks
11-10-14, 01:52
I have a Colt 6920 as well as a BCM Midlength BFH with Daniel Defense 9" Lite II free float rail. Overall my experience is that BCM is better machined and has a beefier BCG, but my Colt has a better MILSPEC trigger out of the box.

I've had a Colt 6920 for a while now .
I just got a BCM Mid Length upper direct from BCM and a BCM lower from G & R .

I must agree about the stock MILSPEC triggers .
Out of the box the 6920's trigger was better then the BCM .
I know it's been a while but there was a more notable gritty feel
to the BCM trigger that I don't remember from the 6920 .

However the BCM lower seems to be machined a little better overall .
Especially on the inside .

If I were to get another BCM lower from G&R I would pay the extra money for
the ALG ACT trigger to be installed by them .
I got both the BCM upper and lower within a few days and it cost
me around a grand .

djegators
11-10-14, 08:24
Colt vs BCM? The answer is yes....

BCM advantage is the enormous options they are offering.

Armybrat
11-10-14, 11:11
$879 for my Colt LE6920MP-B from GaG appealed to me:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/18b351c744bdd1891b66b55907b131fab683109.jpg

M&P15T
11-10-14, 12:06
BCM is above Colt. Colt is the standard but BCM goes above with their QC and first rate service. You can't go wrong with either, I have a couple Colts from the days before BCM.

This.

Plus, when someone says "Colt", they basically mean the 6920, and a few off-shoots of it.

With BCM you have an incredible array of different configurations to choose from. And BCM's mid-length gas system, coupled with their Gunfighter comp, produces a very soft shooting AR. So you can get a BCM lower, and then order whatever choice you make from their dozens and dozens of offered uppers. So, there's really no "a BCM" like there is "a 6920", there's tons of different configurations available from BCM.

And you can also simply buy one of BCM's complete carbines, although they're more expensive than a base 6920.

I don't suggest Colts, mainly because they have FSPs and carbine-length gas systems. Those two things kill any interest I would have in a Colt.

midSCarolina
11-10-14, 12:58
BCM, LMT, and Colt are definitely my 3 top choices for ARs (non precision builds). I really see these three brands as pretty much on par with one another in terms of durability and reliability. Lately, with the whole free BCG deal, I have leaned toward hammer forged BCMs. My "go to" rifle is a BCM 11.5 on a Colt lower :cool:. Colt has a few obscure choices but if you are interested in SBRs or midlength gas systems, you are going to be out of luck and LMT has its MRP (which I personally think is an awesome rifle) and then standard carbines and that's it.

As previously mentioned, BCM can get a lot of feedback from the guys that they sponsor. Although Colt has a lot of rifles in heavy use in the military, the government bureaucracy probably doesn't help when it comes to getting reliable feedback considering these are the guys who get an almost 300% discrepancy in stoppages from one test to the next.