PDA

View Full Version : Storing Pmags in a hot attic?

Uni-Vibe
09-28-14, 18:37
I've a stash of Pmags. What happens over a period of years if they're stored in a TX attic? 140 degree F temperatures year after year? Anybody with experience? Magpul ever do any experiments?

sevenhelmet
09-28-14, 18:42
I don't have any data to support, but assuming the mags are clean and empty, I can't see them coming to any harm.

VIP3R 237
09-28-14, 18:44
Ive had 6 loaded Gen3 Pmags in my truck for over a year, our summers hit 110+ and inside the truck it gets pretty damn hot. After 2 summers I haven't noticed any deformities or anything yet, and when I've fired them they all function as expected.

ptmccain
09-28-14, 18:50
I've a stash of Pmags. What happens over a period of years if they're stored in a TX attic? 140 degree F temperatures year after year? Anybody with experience? Magpul ever do any experiments?

Why would you want to store them in a hot attic?

n517rv
09-28-14, 18:54
I picture Clark Griswold finding up there all dusty and smelly in about 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Caduceus
09-28-14, 18:55
Not everyone gets basements. Thats where I keep a lot of stuff.

RWH24
09-28-14, 18:56
My Go Bag has 10 loaded G2 Pmags and 10 D&H mags in it. It stays in the trunk of my vehicle. Gun cleaning kit and towels.
I also live in Texas so my trunk is Hotter n Hell @ N Texas. Med Kit stays in trunk too.

Little Creek
09-28-14, 19:56
I would not worry about the pmags in the truck of the car in TX during the summer as much as I would worry about the ammo in those pmags. Ammo should be stored in a cool dry place. Hot days around 140 degrees F would make me worry about the ammo being reliable.

GH41
09-28-14, 20:15

Why would you do this??? Looks like a Troll question to me. It's not even snowing yet and the Trolls are out!

TexanInCali
09-28-14, 20:21
The vast majority of houses in Texas don't have basements. My last house in Texas had three separate attics. You end up storing all kinds of stuff there, but not sure I'd put plastic Pmags up there with all the heat and high humidity. Isn't there a Magpul employee here that typically provides good answers to this kind of question? I forget the guy's handle though.

samuse
09-28-14, 21:22
Technically it should be ok, realistically, I think plastic likes cool, dark places better.

I have about 6 0r 7 FDE Pmags that stayed in an unairconditioned shop for three years. They seem ok, but they're still in the packages...

Uni-Vibe
09-29-14, 09:22
Why would you do this??? Looks like a Troll question to me. It's not even snowing yet and the Trolls are out!

Really? What part of the country do you live in? Do you have basements there? What's the summer like?

We can't have Basements in the Houston area because of the rain and high water table. A Basement would be handy to build a workshop in, store mags in, or take shelter from Tornadoes, but we just don't have them. So we build our workshop in the garage (hot!) and store stuff in the attic (hotter!).

Texan in Cali is right. No trolling here; I have a small house and a box of magazines is too big to fit anyplace but the attic.

SPQR476
09-29-14, 09:37
From a perfection standpoint, yes, dark and cool is better. Dry and hot for incredibly extended periods of time isn't ideal, but you should be just fine. We do a great deal of testing at elevated temps, including extended stints at 180 and the worst case scenario of leaving them in the sun on a hot roof for years at a time. They start to look ugly up there after a few years, but still work just fine.

SteveL
09-29-14, 09:39
Really? What part of the country do you live in? Do you have basements there? What's the summer like?

We can't have Basements in the Houston area because of the rain and high water table. A Basement would be handy to build a workshop in, store mags in, or take shelter from Tornadoes, but we just don't have them. So we build our workshop in the garage (hot!) and store stuff in the attic (hotter!).

Texan in Cali is right. No trolling here; I have a small house and a box of magazines is too big to fit anyplace but the attic.

It's the same way in Florida where I live. I would love to have a basement, but it's just not an option.

Uni-Vibe
09-29-14, 12:11
From a perfection standpoint, yes, dark and cool is better. Dry and hot for incredibly extended periods of time isn't ideal, but you should be just fine. We do a great deal of testing at elevated temps, including extended stints at 180 and the worst case scenario of leaving them in the sun on a hot roof for years at a time. They start to look ugly up there after a few years, but still work just fine.

Thanks.

3ACR_Scout
09-29-14, 22:03
The vast majority of houses in Texas don't have basements.
When we were living in TX before we had kids, I managed to convert a spare bedroom into the "hobby room," but now I'm not sure what I'll do if we move back there. I used the attic for some storage, and it had a fan at the end that helped a little, so that might be worth installing if that's an option. Our garage also had some decent closet space built in, which might be handy you want things out of sight, while storing regular tools on shelving in the open.

Dave

JusticeM4
09-29-14, 22:39
They should be fine, but I (personally) wouldn't store Pmags in an attic.

You mean you don't have room under your bed or any other closet for a few mags? How many Pmags are you thinking of storing??

vicious_cb
09-29-14, 23:23
UV light will damage polymers more than anything. I wouldnt worry too much about heat unless you are rapidly heating and cooling them.

cbx
09-30-14, 09:02
Going to just guess, maybe the op doesn't want the better half to find them. I know my old lady won't ever go up there.

henschman
09-30-14, 13:48
I would trust Pmags in those conditions a lot more than I would trust D&H aluminum mags. I had a set of FDE D&H mags that got stuck together due to their paint melting just sitting in mag pouches in my trunk one 90 degree day. I replaced them with Pmags and Troy Battle Mags, and haven't had any trouble with either, leaving them in hot trunks, non-climate controlled rooms in hot weather, or anything else.

markm
09-30-14, 13:49
The heat could blow out the seals on the Pmags.

Grizzly16
09-30-14, 13:53
The heat could blow out the seals on the Pmags.
Just top off the anti-freeze before storage.

markm
09-30-14, 13:59
Good idea. Gatorade makes them sticky. Don't ask how I know.

Vegasshooter
09-30-14, 17:18
I live in LV, Nevada. My magazines ride in my trunk in my bag or my plate carrier year round. We have days in the summer up to 115, and winter nights in the 20's. I personally have never had a single issue with P-Mags.

Flankenstein
09-30-14, 17:20
Going to just guess, maybe the op doesn't want the better half to find them. I know my old lady won't ever go up there.

Hiding magazines from your SO...? LOL...that's a new one. Pretty sad.

JusticeM4
10-01-14, 19:38

Does your lady know you have guns?

I think mags are less dangerous than the guns themselves.

If anything, you can store a ton of mags in a large sealed plastic container (opaque). A bit more discrete and can be stored anywhere.