PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Bear Hunter Gets More Then He Bargained For....

Denali
09-29-14, 13:10
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/hunter-fights-off-525-pound-bear-with-knife/16411473/

"And that's when they yelled it's big and it's coming your way. All of the sudden I heard him screaming -- felt like 10 minutes, but was probably two minutes -- literally screaming, screaming and you knew he was being mauled," said Lindstrom.

Lindstrom began to pray aloud, and soon realized his friend was still alive with a knife in his hand.

"He made that thing die because he stabbed it about 20 times while it was chewing on his arm. He kept stabbing it and stabbing it and stabbing it and it was pounding on him, a quarter of a ton -- a 525 pound bear pounding on him," said Lindstrom. "And I'm telling you, he walked out. He walked out."

Luckiest man in Minnesota, and please guys, no bullet and gun nonsense, this is just a good old fashioned example of the, "sometimes they turn the tables on you principle" of hunting large and dangerous game...I would never have entered into that swamp on such a foolhardy mission after sunset...

Eurodriver
09-29-14, 13:18
No bullet and gun nonsense to be had anyway.

You get into the wrong situation and any gun short of a 375 H&H is going to result in you being maimed.

Airhasz
09-29-14, 13:19
I surprised experienced bear hunters would track a bear with out a firearm. What must they have been thinking? I would not want the mount of a bear that mauled me to relive the horror every time I look at it.

chuckman
09-29-14, 13:29
Get close to a wounded animal that weighs a quarter-ton...what could go wrong??

WickedWillis
09-29-14, 13:35
Luckiest man in Minnesota, and please guys, no bullet and gun nonsense, this is just a good old fashioned example of the, "sometimes they turn the tables on you principle" of hunting large and dangerous game...I would never have entered into that swamp on such a foolhardy mission after sunset...

Completely irresponsible to even think about pursuing the animal at that point. Dude is lucky he did enough damage to it.

jmnielsen
09-29-14, 13:56
Damn he's lucky. Stupid, too.

MountainRaven
09-29-14, 14:13
A good reason to carry a long dagger....

alvincullumyork
09-29-14, 15:36
Wasn't there a thread not to long ago about surrender never being an option. That's a hard dude right there, even if the decision to track the bear at night without a gun wasn't the best. I guess the saying if you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough applies.

wildcard600
09-29-14, 15:39
i would argue that the guy got what was coming to him. hunting bear with a bow is not my idea of humane or smart.

GH41
09-29-14, 15:47
Sticking a 405 pound animal with an arrow and then waiting around for 4 hours waiting for it to bleed to death... Doing it on a warm day when there is a real possibility of it spoiling before he can recover it... I don't think the man got everything he deserved! I am with the bear on this one. Too bad the guy had a knife.

SteyrAUG
09-29-14, 16:53
i would argue that the guy got what was coming to him. hunting bear with a bow is not my idea of humane or smart.

Yep. And while I understand the motivation to hunt on a more level playing field, it can cost you.

montanadave
09-29-14, 17:11
I have to wonder how many beers were consumed prior to making the awesome decision to wander into the brush at night in search of a wounded bear.

I'm pleased to read the guy survived. And I hope the doctors were able to remove his head from his ass while stitching him up.

.46caliber
09-29-14, 17:24

Hunting black bear in North Central US or Canada is different than the other bigger species elsewhere. They can be safely taken with a bow. Tracking it at night...well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
09-29-14, 17:45
Dude = Harder'an Woodpecker Lips

Stories like this are why I ALWAYS keep a handgun on me at all times.

docsherm
09-29-14, 19:30
Damn he's lucky.

Lucky????? Hell no that guy is a ROCK STAR!!!! He killed a 500 plus Lbs. Bear by stabbing it to death while getting mauled....and then he walked out on his own. I am going to call a friend of mine in MN and have him buy that man a beer from me.

Should he have had a gun? Yes, but obviously he took care of business without one.

Heavy Metal
09-29-14, 19:58
You know, when primitive people hunt large, dangerous game with primitive weapons like spears and bows, they generally do it in packs, not as individuals.

To quote Pat Rogers: "It's called a 'clue'....."

PS, I have been close enough to Bear while hiking in the woods that I have cleared my holster 4 times in my life, pistol low enough till I could see the Bear but high enough I could make it go bang quickly. The one occasion I didn't have my sidearm (long and stupid story) I had my closest encounter with a Blackie ever, about a 250lber. He came up a slope and onto a trail on an old logging road cut in the hillside, he was less than 10 feet from me when he crossed the outer edge and saw me.

I charged him...........because I damn sure wasn't gonna outrun him for a mile and a half back to my car.....he wasn't expecting that and ran back about 40 yards. Sometimes an aggressive bluff works. Preaditors don't expect to become the chased. I grabbed a large rock and slowly backed away.

PS, I make double-damn-sure I always have my sidearm in the woods now.

lunchbox
09-29-14, 20:20
I have to wonder how many beers were consumed prior to making the awesome decision to wander into the brush at night in search of a wounded bear.

I'm pleased to read the guy survived. And I hope the doctors were able to remove his head from his ass while stitching him up.My thoughts exactly. Alcohol and a wounded animal, make a bad combo. When I was young and my grandfather was teaching me how to hunt & harvest game, one of the first rules was don't ever mess with a wounded/cornered animal..EVER!!

HKGuns
09-29-14, 20:39
He took it out, but paid a huge price, good for him. I'd have had my .44 Mag on my side, as a wounded bear isn't something I'm willing to mess with unarmed.

SeriousStudent
09-29-14, 21:06
I'll just leave this here.....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/SeriousStudent/Mobile%20Uploads/Far-Sdie-Bear-in-Cavejpg.png (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/SeriousStudent/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Far-Sdie-Bear-in-Cavejpg.png.html)

JBecker 72
09-29-14, 21:18
Well that is an interesting post ^^

But yeah, that's a hard dude for stabbing a bear to death while being mauled by it.

MorphCross
09-29-14, 21:29
A few things in the maulee's favor, he kept at it unwilling to say die, he had someone there able to render effective first aid for the injuries, and the bear apparently didn't manage to puncture any major blood vessels nor did the bear break the mans legs. If the man didn't have any of these stars aligned that day he'd probably be partially inside the stomach of a dead bear and partially on a slab in the funeral home being prepared for a closed casket funeral or cremation.

AKDoug
09-30-14, 00:07
Lots of things the article didn't cover. I am not aware if it is legal to carry a side arm while bowhunting in MN, it is not in many states. Secondly, bowhunting is a popular method of hunting by people that have a felony conviction and cannot possess firearms. Lastly, many bowhunters are purists and leave their firearms at home when hunting with a bow.

As for the ethics of bowhunting vs. firearms hunting. Hunting sometimes results in wounding in both types of hunting. I've watched 900 lb brown bears die within seconds with a well place arrow and I've watched them run 100's of yards with three .300gr .375H&H slugs in them.

Airhasz
09-30-14, 00:34
In the state I reside, you can legally carry concealed while archery hunting with a concealed pistol license.

Watrdawg
09-30-14, 07:12
I've hunted bear with a bow and still will. I've also hunted bear with just a side arm and still will. However, I always carry a side arm with me when bow hunting. Going into the woods at night to recover a large possibly wounded animal that could kill you without a firearm is stupid. Even doing it in daylight isn't much smarter. Definitely have to give him kudo's for not giving up and coming out ahead on a kill or be killed situation!!

ramairthree
09-30-14, 09:49
In some states it is illegal to have even a sidearm on you when bow hunting.

In some locales/cultures, it is highly frowned upon if not illegal to not track down wounded game if possible.

Not saying he is not a dumb ass, but there are some possible ameliorating explanations.

Even if it is pure stupidity,

Having the stones to fight for your life hand to claw with just a knife and not give up...
hat's off to him.

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-14, 18:33
Lucky????? Hell no that guy is a ROCK STAR!!!! He killed a 500 plus Lbs. Bear by stabbing it to death while getting mauled....and then he walked out on his own. I am going to call a friend of mine in MN and have him buy that man a beer from me.

Should he have had a gun? Yes, but obviously he took care of business without one.

In the age of the pussification of the American male, this post nails it!

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-14, 18:34
Lots of things the article didn't cover. I am not aware if it is legal to carry a side arm while bowhunting in MN, it is not in many states. Secondly, bowhunting is a popular method of hunting by people that have a felony conviction and cannot possess firearms. Lastly, many bowhunters are purists and leave their firearms at home when hunting with a bow.

As for the ethics of bowhunting vs. firearms hunting. Hunting sometimes results in wounding in both types of hunting. I've watched 900 lb brown bears die within seconds with a well place arrow and I've watched them run 100's of yards with three .300gr .375H&H slugs in them.

This is a great post as well. Fred Bear comes to mind as does Ted Nugent.

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 18:37
In the state I reside, you can legally carry concealed while archery hunting with a concealed pistol license.

Same here.

gun71530
10-09-14, 11:35

What is inhumane about hunting with a bow?

WickedWillis
10-09-14, 11:47
What is inhumane about hunting with a bow?

Exactly. It's more humane then taking an animals jaw off at 600 yards and never finding it. In every hunting situation, you should be skilled enough to kill the animal you are hunting quickly, and if you are not, then you should not be hunting.

AKDoug
10-09-14, 19:17
I have a friend that is a professional hunting guide. One of his specialties is brown bears. He's been involved with dozens of bear kills. The second fastest bear death he's been around was a 9' brown bear he shot with a bow at 10 yards. It spun around once and dropped in its tracks. The slicing power of a sharp broad head through heart and lungs can do amazing things .

gun71530
10-09-14, 20:43
I have a friend that is a professional hunting guide. One of his specialties is brown bears. He's been involved with dozens of bear kills. The second fastest bear death he's been around was a 9' brown bear he shot with a bow at 10 yards. It spun around once and dropped in its tracks. The slicing power of a sharp broad head through heart and lungs can do amazing things .

Exactly, I have seen deer take an arrow, go back to eating, and then drop dead on the spot.