PDA

View Full Version : First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

MBtech
09-29-14, 14:56
Until recently I have done most of my shooting just at my property @ 100 yards.

Got a range membership this weekend at a place that has just been opened up close by, and now have access to 600.

A spotting scope is now in order as a must have.

Looking for advice on say $500 or less, and $500 up to $1000
Main goal as of now is to serve to 600 yards, with 1000 yards being a future goal.

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this subject.

Canonshooter
09-29-14, 16:49
Just as an FYI, the tripod you mount it on makes a HUGE difference. A high-end 20-40X scope is useless if you cannot fully stabilize it and not prevent it from moving when you touch it or when the wind blows.

thopkins22
09-29-14, 17:03
A high quality spotting scope is not something that technology will render obsolete in a few years. A good one will last and remain a high end item for years or even decades. It's a one time expense that is worth it.

Also, clarity becomes a huge issue at higher magnifications. Genuinely cheap scopes might even be utterly unusable at shorter distances, and mediocre ones will be worthless not too long after that, particularly if you're trying to spot impacts and holes.

That's not to say that there aren't "bargains" or that you'll get more for your money from company A than you will from company B. But $1000 is definitely where you need to be aimed at.

$999 http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-12-40x60mm-golden-ring-spotting-scope.html

Or what is essentially the same scope with a reticle to help adjust fire based on impacts...$1699 http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-12-40x60mm-tactical-spotting-scope-60040.html

shooterfpga
09-29-14, 17:23
Im definately a bargain now as of late. Ive been there done that with $5k rifles, $1k pistols, $1k scopes. Im now only interested in quality budget stuff. So if anyone can recommend the budget line of spotting scopes that would be nice. And by budget i mean under $500. Also recommended tripods as well. Dont mean to thread jack OP just figured id toss my two cents in that might help get the stuff you and i and many others might be lookin for.

MBtech
09-29-14, 17:30
Im definately a bargain now as of late. Ive been there done that with $5k rifles, $1k pistols, $1k scopes. Im now only interested in quality budget stuff. So if anyone can recommend the budget line of spotting scopes that would be nice. And by budget i mean under $500. Also recommended tripods as well. Dont mean to thread jack OP just figured id toss my two cents in that might help get the stuff you and i and many others might be lookin for.

I was just about to post to the previous reply on tripods lol.
welcome any recs on those as well

Airhasz
09-29-14, 19:07
Head to the 600yd range and check out / look through some members gear and learn how good or expensive of a spotting scope you need to get the job done. This will take the guess work out of your shopping and will likely save you some $$$.

High Tower
09-29-14, 19:28
I would suggest a hard look at the Vortex Diamondback line. They are pretty much right at $500 for the 20-60x80 and are nice for the money. Good field of view too.

MBtech
09-29-14, 19:29
Head to the 600yd range and check out / look through some members gear and learn how good or expensive of a spotting scope you need to get the job done. This will take the guess work out of your shopping and will likely save you some $$$.

Good advice, looking through them at Bass Pro or Cabelas doesn't do any justice as it would at the range..

ccoker
09-30-14, 08:04
This is an awesome tripod

http://youtu.be/tOYzNhzZIkI

railpig314
09-30-14, 10:53
Hey,
I have a little experience with NM shooting. I found a really nice moderately priced spotting scope. It works really good for the price. The Konus - Konuspot -80. I got my scope tripod from Champions Choice. Get the deluxe version. I like the set up and it cost me about $600.00 all together. Good luck. Champions Choice will have the scope and the tripod on their web site......

railpig314
09-30-14, 10:58
And that guy in the video is wrong. There are a bunch of companies that make tripods like that. That is used for NM type shooting. Like I said, I like the Champions Choice the best. You really don't want an all aluminum one. The rod that the scope slides on should be solid steel. That cuts down on movement in the wind.

T2C
09-30-14, 11:39
For a spotting scope priced under $500 the Konus 20-60x80mm or Konus 20-60x100mm would be a good choice to get by. I have owned a Konus 20-60x80mm scope for several years and seeing .30 caliber holes at 300 yards is not a problem. Seeing target discs at 1,000 yards is also not a problem.

You will have to purchase a good scope stand if you want to use the scope for spotting while shooting in the offhand position. If you are going to use the scope in the sitting or prone position, the tripod that comes with the Konus scope will get you by. You can make a lead weight to place on the ground and make an attachment for the bottom of the scope tripod to help stabilize the scope in the wind.

If you start looking at spending $1,000 for a spotting scope, KOWA makes a quality scope. Usually purchasing a KOWA is like ordering a la carte at an expensive restaurant though. An eye piece, a scope cover, etc., will have to be purchased separately from most vendors. Champions Choice and Creedmoor Sports are two good companies to check when considering ordering a KOWA.

kevN
09-30-14, 12:16
If you find the Vortex in your price range I think you're getting generally 1.5x the value compared to other spotters out there and there's is something to fit into everyone's budget. Hard to go any other way unless you talking extreme high-end.

MBtech
09-30-14, 13:33
Thanks for all the input so far guys, exactly the kind of advice I've been looking for.
I have not really "set a budget" for this purchase but I want to compare both ends of the spectrum.

Sgt_Gold
10-12-14, 20:47
I'm a little late to this thread but if you're on a budget I'd be looking at Konus. I started using a Nikon, then I upgraded to a Kowa. When I was shooting high power, the Puerto Rico National Guard team was using Konus spotting scopes. Unless you have to have a removable eyepiece because you want a LER lens, the Konus spotting scope is an excellent piece of glass. You will be able to equip yourself with the scope, a stand, and anything else you need optics wise for less than the cost of a Kowa. The advantage of the Kowa is pretty much everyone wants one, so selling a used scope isn't an issue, but that won't help you unless you can drop that kind of coin on it int he first place.

MBtech
10-13-14, 09:03
I think it is sounding like I will be trying out a Konus.
I have found them below $300 with a table stand which should do the trick, will mainly be used from a bench.

Pappabear
10-14-14, 20:26
That KONA Is acceptable to get you out to 600. I have a Kowa, it was sub $1k and super nice. My little pearl is this. Don't try to use max power. I have a 27X fixed eyepiece. It has served me well. Great to - 1,000.

At 1,400 yards I wish I had more.

SWFA has a good website to shop around. They have decent prices but shop around.

HD1911
10-15-14, 13:25
Clarity will always trump Magnification everytime. I have had no problems honestly spotting .30 Holes @ 300 Yards with Numerous Rifle Scopes, below 20x.

Get the best you can afford, and buy once. A spotting scope is not something you want to skimp on, or really anything in the Precision Rifle World for that matter.

I prefer Spotting Scopes with Milliradian Reticles, and like to have the Clarity to be able to see bullet trace as the rounds go downrange, thereby aiding in Correcting dope on the Fly.

My Two Pics would be a Leupold Mark 4 w/ MilDot/P4F/TMR Reticle or the Vortex Razor HD w/ Mil Reticle 30x Eyepiece. Of course there is also the Bushnell Elite Tactical 8-40x60mm. Others like Zeiss Hensoldt and the bunch are super pricey, but rediculously badass.

MBtech
10-15-14, 16:47
For sure agree with clarity being a must, I did a brief google search and the Leopold Mark 4, and Razor HD look to be $1500ish.
I'm sure they are nice but way out of my price range.

HD1911
10-15-14, 17:27
are you MIL/GOV/LE ?

MBtech
10-15-14, 17:45
are you .mil or LE?

No sir

HD1911
10-15-14, 17:54
No sir

only thing used I could find was this: http://www.armslist.com/posts/3587075/portland-oregon-optics-for-sale--leupold-mark-4-12-40x60mm-tmr-spotting-scope

Not very recently, but within the Last couple years I used to see them go anywhere from $900 to $1,100 USED.

Kokopelli
10-15-14, 18:18
Well I'll add my cheap $0.02 to the thread. I bought a Celestron 80MM scope and a Silk tripod a couple of years ago and while not the best, it works for me. I can see holes very well at 100 yards, but haven't tried anything farther. I recently bought the 65mm Celestron and tabletop tripod for when it's just me shooting and it works as well. I can see 17 ca; holes at 100 yards with ease. Good clarity and eye relief, of course not, but it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52252-100mm-Ultima-Spotting/dp/B0002862UW/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1413414491&sr=1-5&keywords=spotting+scopes

http://www.amazon.com/Slik-U8000-Tripod-Fluid-Head/dp/B0001PNLIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413414769&sr=8-2&keywords=silk+tripods

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQNUO/ref=twister_B00NJC8TNG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRL0M8K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MBtech
10-15-14, 18:44
So far I have had no luck looking through any of these to get an idea of what is going to suit my needs for the 600 yard range it will be used at, that's been a bummer.

Kokopelli
10-15-14, 18:56
Bullet holes at 600 yards is going to be tough. I believe I could see 30 cal holes at 250-300, but 600 is going to cost some bucks...

So far I have had no luck looking through any of these to get an idea of what is going to suit my needs for the 600 yard range it will be used at, that's been a bummer.

MBtech
10-15-14, 19:10
I guess one thing I should have stated in the original post is I don't want to completely cheap out, but I don't need to go overboard either, just get the job done for now. If I get into longer ranges and perhaps competition then by all means it's go big or go home.

MBtech
10-15-14, 19:40
are you MIL/GOV/LE ?

Why? you know somewhere to get a discount?

MBtech
10-16-14, 10:19
Anyone had experience with the Nikon Prostaff 5?

elnino31
10-16-14, 20:58
If you look around for deals on the for sale threads, you'd be surprised at the quality of spotter that's possible to pick up for $1k.

Keith E.
10-16-14, 21:51
If you look around for deals on the for sale threads, you'd be surprised at the quality of spotter that's possible to pick up for $1k.

That's a fact.

Keith

MBtech
10-16-14, 22:56

I'll have to give that a look

BadDogPSD
10-19-14, 10:09
If only needed for range use, have you considered a target camera system?

MBtech
10-19-14, 16:21
If only needed for range use, have you considered a target camera system?

I like the idea of one, but a spotter I can use scouting for hunting also.

Kokopelli
10-19-14, 16:31
Somebody has/had a new Leupold for sale at $1k in the classifieds..

T2C
10-19-14, 18:52
Somebody has/had a new Leupold for sale at $1k in the classifieds..

There was a nice Kowa in the classifieds that sold for $800. You just have to watch and wait for the right deal to come along.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159381-SOLD-Kowa-TSN-663-Spotting-Scope-with-20-60-Eyepiece-and-case

MBtech
10-19-14, 19:55
There was a nice Kowa in the classifieds that sold for $800. You just have to watch and wait for the right deal to come along.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159381-SOLD-Kowa-TSN-663-Spotting-Scope-with-20-60-Eyepiece-and-case

Nice, ... copy that, I'll have to keep a look out on deals like that

spookm14
10-21-14, 06:20
lucky I found this thread, I am in the same boat. My wife bless her heart went out and bought me a spotting scope. The only problem is that its a crap Simmons and its more painful to work with than I can stand. I would say go with Vortex because of warranty and the quality of glass. You can always go higher but you will have to save pennies for a while to get a nice one that the "professionals" would agree with....

MBtech
10-21-14, 07:26
lucky I found this thread, I am in the same boat. My wife bless her heart went out and bought me a spotting scope. The only problem is that its a crap Simmons and its more painful to work with than I can stand. I would say go with Vortex because of warranty and the quality of glass. You can always go higher but you will have to save pennies for a while to get a nice one that the "professionals" would agree with....

Well sounds like her heart was in the right place.

Hmm, more Vortex votes

spookm14
10-21-14, 12:15
Yeah I really do appreciate it but when I take it out I want to bash it over a rock because it is that terrible. You cant focus at all, and the only magnification you can somewhat see through clearly is on the lowest which I have some scopes that have better clarity and higher power than this joke. I guess I cant complain because last time she did this she bought me a socom 16 which I love

opsoff1
10-21-14, 12:20
I've used a bunch over the years and settled with a Kowa 663ED Prominar. So, sage advice in this thread in that a good spotting scope investment won't be obsolete in a few years. Good glass is goood glass.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for - there's no free lunch. Buy the best that you can afford.
I have used everything from B&L's through Unertl's - if you buy used - the biggest issue is the integrity of the seals - Unertls were notorious for that and obviously that the lenses haven't been abused (scratched).
Older glass can be outstanding. I have an old M-49 sotting scope that is probably 40+ years old. Still works great - 30 cal holes at 200 is easy.

Size wise - depending on how far & the clarity of what you want to see - the driving force is the objective diameter. Large scopes are in the 77-88mm range. The medium sizes run 65-75mm. As far as seeing bullet holes at 600yds - not going to happen - period. Especially in the price range that you want to be in. I wouldn't even consider anything in the 50mm - 60mm size - way too limiting. The big objective lenses offer better resolution and a brighter image than smaller ones. They also offer a larger exit pupil - makes it far easier to get your eye aligned quickly vs having to get really close to the lens and move your face around to see the target.

One aspect specific for shooting, whether it is off the bench or from position, is the angle of the eye piece. I prefer angled eye pieces without question over a straight one. The comfort and ease from positioning an angled eye piece scope is significant. Another aspect that I love about my Kowa is the LER (Long Eye Relief) eye piece. I can have my eyeball a good 2" away from the scope - wide field, excellent clarity.

Special coatings on the lenses are going to drive the price up. Fact of life - you get what you pay for.

While the Vortex scopes look to be outstanding, they seem to be in the upper end of the price point range. Their Diamondback line looks nice especially the 20-60x80 Angled model @ $600. But zoom eye pieces are irritating for their small exit pupils (on high X) and VERY short eye relief. I think you can do as well or better for maybe almost even money with a Kowa. Look at the Kowa TSN661 - 66mm, angled eye piece - its a standard multicoat type lens (not the flourite lens of the 663 & 664) Add a LER 25x eye piece and you'll be rocking a great system for under $800.

I think that the TSN661 & TSN662 are out of production - they make the TSN663 & 664 - (flourite coated lenses - that adds about $350 to the scope). The TSN661 is still around and can be had on line at around $525- $550 and the LER eye piece can be had for a touch over $200. Trust me - this combo will never get old. I've used one from 25yds to 1000yds. I can see 223 holes at 300+.

I have an additional eye piece for mine, a 20-60x zoom, but I rarely use it as I don't like the super short eye relief common to zoom lenses. (see above)

Another option is the Kowa TSN82SV - it has a big 82mm objective, angled eye piece and can be found for around $650. It uses the same eye pieces at the TSN 66x) series, so you could add the 25X LER for another $200 and have a world class scope. Kowa is a highly highly respected mfr of optics - rugged, crystal clear, beautiful engineering and they retain their value.

Food for thought.

MBtech
10-21-14, 13:29
Opsoff1, thanks for taking the time to post that info, that is some good food for thought.

MBtech
10-21-14, 13:47
http://www.sale-telescopes.com/products/Kowa-TSN%252d82SV-High-Performance-Spotting-Scope-(Angled).html

Is this the one you referred to?

spookm14
10-21-14, 14:06
Well you might have just changed my mind from vortex....

Keith E.
10-21-14, 15:02
opsoff1 covered a lot of bases with that post. Without ruffling feathers, hopefully, I would recommend Sgt. Jim Owens for a scope purchase. You can easilly find his website as I don't want to post it on someone else's forum.

He had/has a program where you can get into a Konus spotter and if you decide later to trade up to a Kowa, he will credit you the purchase price of the Konus toward the Kowa. That kind of deal is hard to find in my opinion. He is also a wealth of knowledge on the subject having shot and coached for many years.

As an aside, I have a Kowa TE-20H 25x LER eyepiece for the TSN-880 and TSN-770 Series of Kowa spotters. It will work with others if you use a ready available adapter.

Try to find a rifle match and walk the line during relay or pit changes. The majority of folks will gladly let you take a peep through their glass and answer any questions that you may have. You may also find some goodies for sale while you're there.

Keith

MBtech
10-21-14, 15:49
opsoff1 covered a lot of bases with that post. Without ruffling feathers, hopefully, I would recommend Sgt. Jim Owens for a scope purchase. You can easilly find his website as I don't want to post it on someone else's forum.

He had/has a program where you can get into a Konus spotter and if you decide later to trade up to a Kowa, he will credit you the purchase price of the Konus toward the Kowa. That kind of deal is hard to find in my opinion. He is also a wealth of knowledge on the subject having shot and coached for many years.

As an aside, I have a Kowa TE-20H 25x LER eyepiece for the TSN-880 and TSN-770 Series of Kowa spotters. It will work with others if you use a ready available adapter.

Try to find a rifle match and walk the line during relay or pit changes. The majority of folks will gladly let you take a peep through their glass and answer any questions that you may have. You may also find some goodies for sale while you're there.

Keith

I've been keeping my eye out to look through as many as I can before making a purchase...
Just like I have a couple optics in mind for my SCAR17 but I can't justify not looking through one first before sinking $2-3K into it and get it delivered in the mail and find out... damn... I don't really care for that.

Noodles
10-21-14, 18:38
No offense to anyone, but that no name scope looks like an absolutely terrible purchase!

1. I've been around the block on spotting scopes. I borrowed and owned about 12 at various points. I currently own only one, the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x compact, I'll buy a fullsize again at some point and I'm fairly certain it's going to also be a Vortex Razor. There is no better value out there. None.

2. Here is what I've learned seeing first hand broken Premier, Leupold Mk8, S&B, USO, Zeiss, Vortex, Bushnell, Burris, and I'm sure other's I'm forgetting. SCOPES BREAK. All of them. They do. They will. It does not matter the name on it. I saw a brand new S&B 3-21 or something come out of the box with a canted reticle. It happens. No scope will last forever, so... Buy from a real company who has a good return policy (again, Vortex has been relatively painless any time I had something go back to them.

Please don't buy a no-name optic in the interest of saving money - you won't save money.

opsoff1
10-21-14, 18:50
Yes - this the 82mm one - and at a SCREAMING price too!

http://www.sale-telescopes.com/products/Kowa-TSN%252d82SV-High-Performance-Spotting-Scope-(Angled).html

Is this the one you referred to?

opsoff1
10-21-14, 18:52
Noodles - which no-name scope are you referring to?

Keith E.
10-22-14, 12:02
http://www.sale-telescopes.com/produ...-(Angled).html

Contact info shows:

Sale Telescopes
Jalan Gajah Mada 104-107
Jakarta 11140
Indonesia

if that makes a difference to anyone.

Keith

Noodles
10-22-14, 12:56

Contact info shows:

Sale Telescopes
Jalan Gajah Mada 104-107
Jakarta 11140
Indonesia

Keith

cough cough cough gray market or knockoff cough cough cough good luck getting support cough cough cough

... Just my opinion

T2C
10-22-14, 12:57

Contact info shows:

Sale Telescopes
Jalan Gajah Mada 104-107
Jakarta 11140
Indonesia

Keith

It makes a big difference to me.

Thanks.

MBtech
10-22-14, 13:06
Won't be pulling the trigger on that one

opsoff1
10-22-14, 13:47
$659 / free shipping on the TSN82SV from B&H Photo - US company excellent rep (I've bought from them multiple times)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602247-REG/Kowa_TSN_82SV_TSN_82SV_3_2_82mm_Spotting_Scope.html

Also consider the Manfrotto 323 RC2 Quick release Adapter & Plate - an AWESOME accy. Allows you to pop the scope off the stand / tripod etc with the flick of a lever. The lever also has a lock to prevent accidental release.
$32 I use them on everything - spotting scopes, Wind meter/weather modules, chronographs etc.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

Also - the TSN661 is available - found it on Amazon - $546 http://www.amazon.com/Kowa-TSN-661-Standard-Optics-Spotting/dp/B000J44GHU

Good catch by Noodles - black hole there - bet you A) wouldn't get a real Kowa or B) Get nothing at all.

MBtech
10-22-14, 14:14
$659 / free shipping on the TSN82SV from B&H Photo - US company excellent rep (I've bought from them multiple times)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602247-REG/Kowa_TSN_82SV_TSN_82SV_3_2_82mm_Spotting_Scope.html

Also consider the Manfrotto 323 RC2 Quick release Adapter & Plate - an AWESOME accy. Allows you to pop the scope off the stand / tripod etc with the flick of a lever. The lever also has a lock to prevent accidental release.
$32 I use them on everything - spotting scopes, Wind meter/weather modules, chronographs etc.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

Also - the TSN661 is available - found it on Amazon - $546 http://www.amazon.com/Kowa-TSN-661-Standard-Optics-Spotting/dp/B000J44GHU

Good catch by Noodles - black hole there - bet you A) wouldn't get a real Kowa or B) Get nothing at all.

This is probably around the budget I am looking at, I like the different eyepiece options they offer.
QR mount definitely looks nice

opsoff1
10-22-14, 14:28
Look for the Kowa TSE-17HD 25x Long Eye Relief Eyepiece - you won't need anything else - even if you do, they snap in and out in a blink. B&H has them for $219.
Another huge plus is that you can also get adapter to use a camera / iphone on the scope - great for scouting / hunting and surveillance etc.

MBtech
10-22-14, 14:46
Look for the Kowa TSE-17HD 25x Long Eye Relief Eyepiece - you won't need anything else - even if you do, they snap in and out in a blink. B&H has them for $219.
Another huge plus is that you can also get adapter to use a camera / iphone on the scope - great for scouting / hunting and surveillance etc.

That is great, so many times out hunting/scouting I've wished I could take some nice photography home.

MBtech
10-22-14, 14:56
This sounds like a winning set up for a multiple role tool.
I will not be looking for bullet holes at 600yrds, just want to see steel targets get dinged with some shooting buddies at the range, the fact of using it for hunting/scouting/photography would be icing on the cake.

Koshinn
10-27-14, 06:35
How needed is a mil reticle for a spotting scope?

Pappabear
10-27-14, 07:32

A mil reticle would be awesome. But is so rarely offered by mfg. I have a Kowa with 27 X eyepiece. Love it but would buy another Kow or other if it had a mil dot reticle. Very few scopes. Anyone know of one that is great in the $1k range. I'm all ears.

Great question though. Good luck.

PB

MBtech
10-27-14, 08:11

Have been thinking about that being nice to have also, is there a way to have both? To still use as a camera set up. Different lenses

Koshinn
10-27-14, 08:33
Have been thinking about that being nice to have also, is there a way to have both? To still use as a camera set up.

The Vortex Razor HD spotting scope has both a mil and moa eyepiece as well as a camera adapter. But you need the biggest scope.

I was hoping they'd offer it in the Viper line but no such luck.

Failure2Stop
10-27-14, 08:42

Depends on what you are doing with the spotter.
If you're just using it to check your work from distance, not terribly.
If you're using it to spot another shooter with the need for immediate correction and re-engagement, pretty important.
There is a decent gap in needs when comparing a sniper/DM team and a long-range match shooter/hobbyist.
I have a cheap spotter that I drag out to the 100 meter range for spotting holes, but wouldn't use for anything else.
For all of my "real" stuff, I use a 12-40x Leupy. It has a Manfrotto grip ball head that costs more than my whole cheapo spotter.
The 12x bottom is also frequently misunderstood by users that aren't working in a team. It isn't that I'm trying to cut cost by going with a lower magnification; I need to be able to track trace, which is easier done when at a lower power (12-15x generally, depending on distance). I'll be at 40X for rapid range estimation, facial recognition, reconnaissance, and immediate shot correction (if outside the ability to track trace).
I really prefer the H32 and H36 reticle over mil-dot or TMR.

MBtech
10-28-14, 19:47
Have not found anything with a mil reticle that fits my budget, but I am the hobbyist mentioned above. I did go to a gun shop on my lunch break today, checked out a couple Vortex, and by checked out I mean held. Guy would not let me take it outside to look through! How the hell do you judge a 20-60x80 scope in a 40-50 foot building! They have lost my business for good. I usually buy my FGMM 308 ammo there and have bought one pistol... not anymore.

MBtech
10-28-14, 20:16
Have had a couple recommendations on tri-pod style stands, has anyone had any experience with the clamp style for bench mounting a spotting scope?

T2C
10-29-14, 13:21
Have had a couple recommendations on tri-pod style stands, has anyone had any experience with the clamp style for bench mounting a spotting scope?

I made a scope stand out of a sliding pipe clamp and cast iron pipe. The pipe and clamp are available at most hardware stores and looks like the one in this picture. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bessey-Clamps-3-4-Jamacc-Pipe-Clamp-Fixtures-PC34/19653317?sourceid=csesh0155a24093f0084300b8d1e3e195ed3b54&wmlspartner=shoppingcom&affcmpid=3171288412&tmode=0000&bcfg=768c566fdd0b5202429690008bfad91e&veh=cse

I made the part that holds the screw to secure the scope to the stand out of a wood block, two 3" long 1/4-20 bolts, with wing nuts and washers and a piece of aluminum band material. I found a bolt with the same thread as the bottom of the scope at the hardware store. It passes through the band material into the bottom of the scope. You can use hex nuts to set the depth the bolt reaches into the scope body.

The farther the scope is away from the clamp, the more the wind will cause it to shake. Most days it is not an issue, but if it is really windy it can be. The range where I shoot has pillars adjacent to the firing points. I steady the scope with a light bungee cord wrapped around the pipe and secured to either a pillar or on the bench where the scope stand is clamped.

railpig314
10-29-14, 17:10
Hey,
What do you need a mil dot reticle in a spotting scope for? I wish some of you would check out the Konus scopes. They have good glass and are very inexpensive. We use them for the NM's and they work just fine. You guys are going to spend a lot of money for nothing. But I think that's what a lot of these companies are betting on!

MBtech
10-29-14, 18:19
I made a scope stand out of a sliding pipe clamp and cast iron pipe. The pipe and clamp are available at most hardware stores and looks like the one in this picture. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bessey-Clamps-3-4-Jamacc-Pipe-Clamp-Fixtures-PC34/19653317?sourceid=csesh0155a24093f0084300b8d1e3e195ed3b54&wmlspartner=shoppingcom&affcmpid=3171288412&tmode=0000&bcfg=768c566fdd0b5202429690008bfad91e&veh=cse

I made the part that holds the screw to secure the scope to the stand out of a wood block, two 3" long 1/4-20 bolts, with wing nuts and washers and a piece of aluminum band material. I found a bolt with the same thread as the bottom of the scope at the hardware store. It passes through the band material into the bottom of the scope. You can use hex nuts to set the depth the bolt reaches into the scope body.

The farther the scope is away from the clamp, the more the wind will cause it to shake. Most days it is not an issue, but if it is really windy it can be. The range where I shoot has pillars adjacent to the firing points. I steady the scope with a light bungee cord wrapped around the pipe and secured to either a pillar or on the bench where the scope stand is clamped.

That's a good idea, good way to save some money. Thanks for that, I'm sure I could rig that up.

MBtech
10-29-14, 18:35
Hey,
What do you need a mil dot reticle in a spotting scope for? I wish some of you would check out the Konus scopes. They have good glass and are very inexpensive. We use them for the NM's and they work just fine. You guys are going to spend a lot of money for nothing. But I think that's what a lot of these companies are betting on!

I don't necessarily need a mil dot reticle for my application at this point, but with a shooter and a spotter it would definitely be nice to have as most of the time I am shooting with someone. I also want a mil dot scope for my Rem 700, so the two would work nicely together, but they look to be way out of my price range anyway, looks like $1500 and up... just aint happening for me anytime soon.

The Konus is for sure my first pick in the lower budget range
Kowa or Vortex for the next step up. Anything over $1K will not be happening.
A lot is going to have to do with the more important purchase and price tag of the rifle scope in which spotter I choose and can afford.

Failure2Stop
10-29-14, 20:48
Hey,
If you're a spotter communicating with a shooter and need to immediately adjust a shot, give a reference, or do a rapid range estimation without a laser, they're pretty important. Not saying that everyone needs one, but those that do, do.

MBtech
10-29-14, 21:56
If you're a spotter communicating with a shooter and need to immediately adjust a shot, give a reference, or do a rapid range estimation without a laser, they're pretty important. Not saying that everyone needs one, but those that do, do.

I agree 100%, if you need it for ex. LE, MIL, Competition, and/or can afford it, it's just going to make the task easier than without it taking out a lot of guess work and time. Which in turn means more effective rounds down range.

MBtech
10-31-14, 19:44
Well, I have came to the conclusion that "Top Notch" is well over $1000 even more than double depending on which you look at. So I am going to sit somewhere in the middle to get started with.

Kowa TSN 82SV $659.95
Kowa TE 9Z 20-60x zoom eyepiece $339.95
(prices from B&H) cheapest I could find.
Grand total before Uncle Sam = $999.90 doesn't get any closer than that.
I will add the digiscoping camera adapter later and it will tag along on scouting/hunting trips and family vacations.

http://www.kowaproducts.com/Kowaeyepieces/KowaTE-9Z20-60xzoomeyepiece/
http://www.kowaproducts.com/KowaTSN-82SVSeriesSpottingScope/

Thanks for all the advice!!

T2C
11-01-14, 15:40
Kowa makes a nice spotting scope. You won't be disappointed.

MBtech
11-01-14, 17:28
Kowa makes a nice spotting scope. You won't be disappointed.

I think it should do just fine for my application and then some.
I'm going to start looking into your homemade bench mount idea..
I posted a thread on some benches I built for myself and my range, making some universal mounts for spotting scopes would be really nice to have around.

Any chance of getting a pic of yours?

MBtech
11-01-14, 17:47
I really do appreciate all you guys commenting on this thread.
Like I said in OP anything past 100 yards is all pretty new to me, now it's time to do some more learning on longer range shooting.

Koshinn
11-01-14, 18:17
Random question since we're talking about spotting scopes.

The M144 that comes with the M24. It's branded Litton Electro-Optics and if you google them you can find their contract win for $8.4 million for 250 scopes IIRC.

Anyway, did Litton subcontract the scope itself to Bushnell (Bushnell Elite Tactical)? It says "Elite" on the scope cover over the ocular lens, and Bushnell sells this: http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/spotting-scopes/elite/elite-15-45x-60mm
That looks exactly like a M144.

Also, does Leupold make the tripod?

MBtech
11-01-14, 21:09
Random question since we're talking about spotting scopes.

The M144 that comes with the M24. It's branded Litton Electro-Optics and if you google them you can find their contract win for $8.4 million for 250 scopes IIRC.

Anyway, did Litton subcontract the scope itself to Bushnell (Bushnell Elite Tactical)? It says "Elite" on the scope cover over the ocular lens, and Bushnell sells this: http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/spotting-scopes/elite/elite-15-45x-60mm
That looks exactly like a M144.

Also, does Leupold make the tripod?

Dang, those do look exactly alike good question.

T2C
11-01-14, 22:16
I think it should do just fine for my application and then some.
I'm going to start looking into your homemade bench mount idea..
I posted a thread on some benches I built for myself and my range, making some universal mounts for spotting scopes would be really nice to have around.

Any chance of getting a pic of yours?

It is pretty easy to make with basic hand tools. When you make the wood tension block, make sure you drill the hole first, then cut it in half with the saw second. It gives you better tension on the upright when you tighten the screws.

T2C
11-02-14, 13:25
One more pic...............

MBtech
11-02-14, 13:26
It is pretty easy to make with basic hand tools. When you make the wood tension block, make sure you drill the hole first, then cut it in half with the saw second. It gives you better tension on the upright when you tighten the screws.

That is pretty slick man, thanks for sharing that!

Keith E.
11-04-14, 14:48
Well, I have came to the conclusion that "Top Notch" is well over $1000 even more than double depending on which you look at. So I am going to sit somewhere in the middle to get started with.

Kowa TSN 82SV $659.95
Kowa TE 9Z 20-60x zoom eyepiece $339.95
(prices from B&H) cheapest I could find.
Grand total before Uncle Sam = $999.90 doesn't get any closer than that.
I will add the digiscoping camera adapter later and it will tag along on scouting/hunting trips and family vacations.

http://www.kowaproducts.com/Kowaeyepieces/KowaTE-9Z20-60xzoomeyepiece/
http://www.kowaproducts.com/KowaTSN-82SVSeriesSpottingScope/

Thanks for all the advice!!

A Kowa fan here. I don't think that you'll be disappointed with the 82. They're pretty easy to move if you find that you don't like it for some reason.

Keith

MBtech
11-04-14, 19:06
A Kowa fan here. I don't think that you'll be disappointed with the 82. They're pretty easy to move if you find that you don't like it for some reason.

Keith

I think it'll work great, hard to find anything negative about Kowa from what I have researched along with the comments on this thread.
Can't wait to take pictures with it also, I expect a win/win.

Keith E.
11-19-14, 13:33
Creedmoor Sports is currently running package deals on the 82SV.

Keith

MBtech
11-19-14, 13:44
Creedmoor Sports is currently running package deals on the 82SV.

Keith

Thanks for the heads up Keith, figures...right about the time I have to be Santa for the kiddos.

churious
11-20-14, 16:01
Check out what the bird watchers use. Ive heard a number of great things with these pentax.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009XVOT/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32JXV80Y0GXG0&coliid=I3UG8F7P3KX4DZ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000UMCNS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32JXV80Y0GXG0&coliid=I1WQYN98J7MXL4