PDA

View Full Version : ATI M16 Complete Chrome Lined Bolt Carrier Group with Carpenter 158 Bolt

PA PATRIOT
09-30-14, 17:04
Anyone know who makes ATI's BCG's, they are selling on sale for $69.99 and was thinking they would be good spares for classes and such.

Opinions?

ATI M16 Complete Chrome Lined Bolt Carrier Group with Carpenter 158 Bolt

MFG# ATIAR15

BCG Carrier Made from 8620

Carrier is Chrome Lined.

Steel Bolt Made from Carpenter 158 Steel

Made in USA

Iraqgunz
09-30-14, 17:09
There is no way that thing is made to spec unless they are so overstocked that they will take a loss.

wildcard600
09-30-14, 17:13
not that i always believe that you get what you pay for, but the fact that they are selling a complete BCG for less than just a bolt from BCM has my mind wondering about the quality.

now, on the other hand i think that it might be good to have a couple and flip at the next panic, but then i think that i would rather have something i would use and trust for myself if another panic fails to come along.

YMMV

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 17:17
Made in:

http://rationalrevolution.net/images/maofmax04.jpg

Kain
09-30-14, 17:28
not that i always believe that you get what you pay for, but the fact that they are selling a complete BCG for less than just a bolt from BCM has my mind wondering about the quality.

now, on the other hand i think that it might be good to have a couple and flip at the next panic, but then i think that i would rather have something i would use and trust for myself if another panic fails to come along.

YMMV

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. I don't buy stuff, even if I think it might be stuff I would consider flipping, unless it is stuff that I would personally use, because it would be back up at some point. And for BCGs, I saw BCM BCGs selling at $300-500 during the last panic.

PA PATRIOT
09-30-14, 19:35
Claims its "Made in USA"

IraqVet1982
09-30-14, 20:15
was thinking they would be good spares for classes and such

For that price I don't think you can go wrong for your intended use.

Iraqgunz
09-30-14, 20:19
Ok, so you buy it and then it takes a shit. Now add the cost of a replacement BCG to this and you will have your overall price.

Claims its "Made in USA"

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 20:40
Claims its "Made in USA"

If it seems too good to be true...

wildcard600
09-30-14, 20:49
Ok, so you buy it and then it takes a shit. Now add the cost of a replacement BCG to this and you will have your overall price.

This ^

I guess you could buy a stack of these and just throw them in the trash if they break, but you could just buy one GOOD BCG and an extra bolt and likely be ahead of the game.

At the end of the day its your money though, spend it how you choose.

Outlander Systems
09-30-14, 20:59
News Article:
http://roc.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110213/NEWS01/102130348/Rochester-s-links-global-arms-deal

Criminal Complaint:
http://roc.democratandchronicle.com/assets/pdf/A2169548127.PDF

ATI and another DiChario-owned company at the same site, AmChar Wholesale, did portray the companies as loose with their inventory of weapons. Court documents also suggest that an intermediary for ATI was purposefully blind to the fact that the magazines were manufactured in China, which makes them illegal for importation into the United States.

Now...ahem. You owe me a beer, and Paul Buffoni some money for a BCG.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-auto-mp.htm

You're welcome.

; )

P.S. These are the types of dudes ATI deals with:

A recent WikiLeaks release of confidential U.S. State Department cables cited an attempted sale to Libya of 130,000 Kalashnikov rifles by Hyde's company, York Guns.

TacticalMark
09-30-14, 21:05
Claims its "Made in USA"
I would save your money, there are better options out there.

PA PATRIOT
09-30-14, 23:44
I had no more interest in this ATI BCG then a cheap tool box spare should a bolt break while at a class or the range, never was intended for a serious use role hence the questions if the item was a POS or could handle some light duty back up use as a spare.

KingsideRook
09-30-14, 23:51
I had no more interest in this ATI BCG then a cheap tool box spare should a bolt break while at a class or the range, never was intended for a serious use role hence the questions if the item was a POS or could handle some light duty back up use as a spare.

I, too, have always wanted two break two bolts in quick succession. Thanks for for finding me a way to do so under $70.

Sarcasm aside, why would you ever buy a spare that's crappier quality than the thing it's replacing? Light duty? What is that, the second half of a carbine course so intensive that it broke a bolt? A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Change the way you think about your weapon and it's components, would be my advice.

JusticeM4
10-01-14, 19:26
Its obviously not going to be a high-quality part. Not sure if it matters that they state the bolt is C158 and carrier is 8620.

I wouldn't buy it, but i'm sure someone on a tight budget (or clueless) will purchase them, shoot 100rds a month, and be ok.

jbjh
10-02-14, 00:57
They're going to sell all that they have in their inventory. The upside is all of the "unreliable" ARs with these ATI BCGs in them that will flood the market in a year or two. I'll be buying just to part em out.

^Rb
10-03-14, 17:55
FYI, in this day and age, you can go on Alibaba and find "mil spec" BCG's.

I would only buy a BCG from a known source. If you can't afford it, 1) save more money, and/or 2) don't spend as much money on other non-critical components of your weapon.

HKGuns
10-03-14, 19:14
I needed a couple of spare parts bolts and felt like wasting a little money. I don't normally buy crap, but took a lark on two of these, as spares for range guns. For the price and purpose I will tolerate it when they fail. (If I ever need them)

Since I actually bought a couple of them I thought I would post some high resolution pictures of them for you guys. Someone might see something in these pictures that gives them more of a clue. I don't know if they're C158 or not but they seem ok.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v160/p11855546-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v155/p282514056-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v166/p352468877-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v176/p310785468-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v152/p352222558-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v169/p79617300-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v127/p12547979-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v173/p156840333-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v162/p66934880-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v150/p47886597-5.jpg

redmist
10-04-14, 00:23
Coming from a guy who watches a machine make bolts and carriers all day.... I don't see how it's possible to make these, and sell them for that amount of $$$$. That's not even hourly machine rate on a spindle in our shop.

Outlander Systems
10-04-14, 09:05
Coming from a guy who watches a machine make bolts and carriers all day.... I don't see how it's possible to make these, and sell them for that amount of $$$$. That's not even hourly machine rate on a spindle in our shop.

Ahem...

If it seems too good to be true...

HKGuns
10-04-14, 10:54

I seem to recall ATI produces stuff in PI. I don't know where these are made......

GH41
10-04-14, 15:21

How long does it take to make a bolt and carrier? While am at it... How many suppliers do you make bolts for. I know better than to ask who but how many. Maybe a better question for the guy in that prints the shipping labels.

LewP
10-04-14, 19:56
How long does it take to make a bolt and carrier? While am at it... How many suppliers do you make bolts for. I know better than to ask who but how many. Maybe a better question for the guy in that prints the shipping labels.

Are you trying to get someone to spill trade secret information? Total machine time and how many customers a particular company has is none of your or my business.

And what has this got to do with ATI bolts/bcgs anyway?

foxtrotx1
10-04-14, 21:19
ATI imports a lot of Turkish stuff if i recall correctly, could be from Turkey.

redmist
10-05-14, 11:31

Depends on the bolt, We make the complete body from solid bar stock, to a functional part on 8-Axis turn-mills. Bar goes in, done part comes out the other side. I need to keep the time to myself however. As far as how many suppliers..... a handful. To get back on topic, my point was that we could not in our shop make that part for that cheep. I know each shop is different, but it's just another data set to add to the conversation.

GH41
10-05-14, 14:56
Are you trying to get someone to spill trade secret information? Total machine time and how many customers a particular company has is none of your or my business.

And what has this got to do with ATI bolts/bcgs anyway?

The man suggested it takes more machine time at his rate than he could sell a bolt at ATI's price for. Curious me ask a couple of softball questions and I get chastised for it???? WTF

PA PATRIOT
10-05-14, 15:47
Many folks here think the ATI BCG is made in another country and that maybe true but unless PSA is playing word games with the description (As they have done in the past) the description states "Made in the USA", Now can they use this term legally if the Bolt and Carrier were just assembled (Not manufactured) here in the USA?

HKGuns
10-07-14, 17:04
The man suggested it takes more machine time at his rate than he could sell a bolt at ATI's price for. Curious me ask a couple of softball questions and I get chastised for it???? WTF

If it makes you feel better I didn't read your post as being after some super trade secret. I also don't agree with the assumption you were after a "secret" or the resultant keyboard whipping. I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. Not everyone operates this way.

I suppose the assumption was that everyone has or should work in a machine shop and know with 100% certainty that this is a trade secret. -I and probably at least a few others have never and never will set foot in, let alone work in a machine shop.

A better way to respond to your post would be to point out that it might be considered a trade secret and the poster probably wouldn't be able to divulge that information. But, yet again, not everyone operates or see's things like I see them.

26 Inf
10-07-14, 20:20
HKGuns, enlarging on your statement a little a little, I thought that redmist's reply was thoughtful, gracious and answered the question in the spirit it was asked, so kudos to him.

Berserkr556
10-08-14, 06:06
There's no way that BCG is built to spec but it really doesn't matter to me because I buy BCM. The only other BCG I have bought and would trust is Colt and FN but BCM is top of the food chain in my book.

HackerF15E
10-26-14, 20:49
I needed a couple of spare parts bolts and felt like wasting a little money.

Have you -- or anyone else, for that matter -- actually shot one of these ATI BCGs? They continue to be on sale at PSA...

HKGuns
10-26-14, 21:50
Have you -- or anyone else, for that matter -- actually shot one of these ATI BCGs? They continue to be on sale at PSA...

Sorry, no I haven't, for the cost it was an easy call for me as I don't have a ton of parts around the house.

SOWT
10-28-14, 12:14
Many folks here think the ATI BCG is made in another country and that maybe true but unless PSA is playing word games with the description (As they have done in the past) the description states "Made in the USA", Now can they use this term legally if the Bolt and Carrier were just assembled (Not manufactured) here in the USA?

I believe they can assemble foreign made parts and claim it as made in the USA (may need one domestically made part).

I was doing research for another project and came across a company that was doing that. Making most of the parts outside the US assembling in-country and claiming Made in the USA.

JusticeM4
10-28-14, 14:07
I believe they can assemble foreign made parts and claim it as made in the USA (may need one domestically made part).

I was doing research for another project and came across a company that was doing that. Making most of the parts outside the US assembling in-country and claiming Made in the USA.

There's a possibility that some of the parts of this BCG are made outside of US. Hard to speculate where, unless someone in the trade can verify these carriers and bolts coming in from outside the country. (anyone here know??)

Like Apple Iphones that are made in China, they are still great products. It states on Iphones that they are made in China but assembled in the US so its still a quality product with some level of QC. Not so sure about these ATI BCG's though...

HackerF15E
12-29-15, 10:27
Apologies for digging up an old thread, as I don't know if people are even selling these BCGs anymore. But, for anyone that bought one of these and hasn't used it or has one sitting in reserve for the future, I have just finally broken mine down to give it a detail cleaning here at the end of the year.

I've been using one of these ATI BCGs purchased from PSA for over a year now. About 2,000 rounds through it this year -- a combination of Wolf and Tula practice ammo and my own reloads (Hornady 55gr over Varget in misc LC brass), and no issues.

Visual inspection of the BCG doesn't show any abnormal wear, peening, or anything else that catches my interest. Compared to other BCGs in other rifles I own (Colt, Toolcraft, PSA), it looks no different in terms of wear pattern (bolt lugs, cam pin, etc).

This fall and winter of '15 there have been IMHO much better deals on BCGs at similar price points, but this ATI seemed like a good deal at $70 last year, and has done everything I've asked it. I'm not the volume of shooter that many of you are, and my shooting has been primarily range plinking and practice, but I'm happy with the money spent.