PDA

View Full Version : One for the automotive folks...

Slater
09-30-14, 17:39
On the topic of oil changes, Wal-Mart stocks the usual selection of brand name motor oils (Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc.). They also carry their own store brand, called Super Tech or some such, that's noticeably cheaper than the others. The wife insists that I avoid the store brand oil on the grounds of "it'll break down faster than the good oils".

I dunno - not being an expert on the subject, is the Wal-Mart brand oil comparable in performance to the others? My truck is pretty much a "go to work and come home" vehicle so I don't really put a lot of demands on the engine.

Averageman
09-30-14, 17:49
Your Wife is right.
Although the store brand may well be of the same quality as a Valvoline, it's a crap shoot at best unless you can research it.
Your oil filter is your trucks kidney. If your truck craps the bed tomorrow because you bought a cheap filter, what's that going to cost you?
If you needed a kidney would you buy the Wal Mart brand?

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-14, 17:52
I stay the hell away from WM for most things, but especially concerning their automotive department. In high school I needed a quick oil change one day and those mouth breathers stripped my oil pan's plug. Never again . . .

I'd go with a reputable brand of oil for your needs.

lunchbox
09-30-14, 18:04
Walmarts value brand supplier varies, they put out a order for X amount of product and the lowest bidder gets the contract for that order. If you look on back, it should say which company it is made by. As mentioned crap shoot, as companies will cut corners to fulfill Walmarts huge order and secure contract. Walmart says what they want, and how much they want it for, if you can meet or go lower, you gett the contract.

montanadave
09-30-14, 18:17
Do you drink generic beer?

Hmac
09-30-14, 18:19
Oil is oil. If it meets the requirements for the API Service Classification that your car requires, then you're fine.

T2C
09-30-14, 18:22
Wal-Mart is no different than Harley Davidson or anyone else. They order oil from one of the big oil companies and specify what additives they want added to their store brand oil. If you order a high dollar package with special additives like Harley Davidson, that is what you get. If you order a lower dollar package to provide a product at a price point, you get what you pay for.

I like to use brand name oil and avoid the generics myself.

thopkins22
09-30-14, 18:25
Oil is oil. If it meets the requirements for the API Service Classification that your car requires, then you're fine.

Correct. It is literally the same exact stuff as long as it meets the aforementioned specs. It will not break down faster or anything else. If your car's manual specifies that you use something specific or there's a stipulation in your warranty, then by all means do so. But if it simply states 10W-30 or whatever, there's no reason to pay for "premium." I would probably pay for the good filter though.

Slater
09-30-14, 18:28
There was some independent testing done on Wal-Mart's oil. Not sure if it's good or bad, though:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/SupertechApril2010.htm

Airhasz
09-30-14, 18:30
I run brand name oil in my vehicles. Oil is cheap, engines are EXPENSIVE.

Averageman
09-30-14, 18:35
Sorry, my bad oil, not filters.
Either way, what is the savings vs the risk?

Leaveammoforme
09-30-14, 18:41

This is correct. As long as you see the API 'starburst' symbol and correct viscosity on the bottle you are GTG. What differs in different brands of oils is the additive package. The extra cost of the 'premium' oils is due to a more expensive additive package and of course a little for the name and bottle. Oil level is way more important than brand of oil used. Keep your level between min and max, change your oil and filter every now and then and drive on. Way more spun bearings and rods through blocks due to oil starvation than oil 'quality'.

JBecker 72
09-30-14, 18:43
There have been plenty of used oil analysis' over on various automotive forums and the stuff checks out. I've been running the conventional 5w30 in my Toyota for a year and changing it every 3k miles.

It meets the same certifications as the more expensive oils and they sell a ton of the stuff. I haven't heard of negative reports.

thopkins22
09-30-14, 18:43
There was some independent testing done on Wal-Mart's oil. Not sure if it's good or bad, though:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/SupertechApril2010.htm

It says that it's perfectly average...or that you can feel perfectly good about using Walmart oil. They compared the 10 biggest brands, averaged their results and compared the Walmart oil to them. There aren't any notable differences. It meets the specs, is right in line with name brand oil in most of them and even superior in a few.

Averageman, there are no risks and the sticker will tell you the savings.

Averageman
09-30-14, 18:57
Averageman, there are no risks and the sticker will tell you the savings.

Sorry I was confused and well in to my third pint, I thought he asked about oil filters.

HKGuns
09-30-14, 20:04

^^This^^ Everything else is additives and marketing and I've never seen scientific evidence any of the additives add any additive value.

wildcard600
09-30-14, 21:13
As others have said, I would run it without hesitation as it still has to meet the same API specs.

Now, I would try to not give WM my money unless I didn't have another choice. IMO

Leaveammoforme
09-30-14, 21:20
As others have said, I would run it without hesitation as it still has to meet the same API specs.

Now, I would try to not give WM my money unless I didn't have another choice. IMO

Engine oil doesn't 'have to' meet any specs. The ones that do will wear the API starburst. The ones that do not will not wear a starburst. Non-API certified engine oils are not very common but they are out there.

kwelz
09-30-14, 21:23
First problem is getting your oil changed at Walmart. Ha! I am sure the oil is fine. I would be more worried about the people doing the change.

militarymoron
09-30-14, 21:31
interesting article here, along with oil wear protection tests of various oils (and additives):

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

eightmillimeter
09-30-14, 22:00
interesting article here, along with oil wear protection tests of various oils (and additives):

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

This confirms a lot of oil trends in passenger cars over the last decade or so. I use Motorcraft (ford) 5W20 exclusively now with PureOne filters. Every other year I send a used oil sample from each vehicle to the lab and this combo is good in most vehicles for 5-6k oil change interval with excellent protection.

While the Wally World oil is API certified the additive package is junk, which pretty much means you have to change it every 3000, and I don't have time for that shizzle.

wildcard600
09-30-14, 22:45
Engine oil doesn't 'have to' meet any specs. The ones that do will wear the API starburst. The ones that do not will not wear a starburst. Non-API certified engine oils are not very common but they are out there.

I agree. The thread is about WM supertech oil, which in fact wears the API logo. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

brickboy240
10-01-14, 10:13
If you like your cars at all...stay far away from Wal Mart and Discount Tire and the quickie oil change places.

If this is a rental, lease or a company car that gets replaced every few years...go ahead.

Also, if you are one of those people that changes cars long before it has 100k miles and is a few years old...don't waste money on synthetic oil or quality tires, etc.

If you are like me and like your vehicles and keep them several hundred thousand miles....yes...use full synthetic oil, quality filters and buy good tires for the car. In the long run, the motor will last longer and the car will give you less headaches over the time you own it.

It always surprises me when I see people taking cars like BMWs and Mercedes to Wal Mart for oil changes or a quickie lube joint....why?

-brickboy240

wildcard600
10-01-14, 10:37
If you like your cars at all...stay far away from Wal Mart and Discount Tire and the quickie oil change places.

If this is a rental, lease or a company car that gets replaced every few years...go ahead.

Also, if you are one of those people that changes cars long before it has 100k miles and is a few years old...don't waste money on synthetic oil or quality tires, etc.

If you are like me and like your vehicles and keep them several hundred thousand miles....yes...use full synthetic oil, quality filters and buy good tires for the car. In the long run, the motor will last longer and the car will give you less headaches over the time you own it.

It always surprises me when I see people taking cars like BMWs and Mercedes to Wal Mart for oil changes or a quickie lube joint....why?

-brickboy240

I believe the OP is asking about buying WM oil, not having it changed there.

brickboy240
10-01-14, 10:51
Again...if you even remotely like your car...the answer is no.

wildcard600
10-01-14, 10:56

fare to define why ? if you care at all for the economy of this country you should not shop at WM at all. but that has nothing to do with oil.

Crow Hunter
10-01-14, 11:01
I can't speak to the differences in motor oil, other than I know there is a difference. However, I used the cheapest oil available and changed it every 5,000 miles and my 2001 Corolla made it 237,000 miles with only a timing belt change and then I hit a patch of black ice and made intimate contact with a pine tree at 25 mph.:D

I can speak to the filters though.

I used to work for a company where we made about 2/3 of all the oil filters used on passenger cars in the US.

They were the same. The only difference was the color we painted the outside. Went down the same line used the same element, folded on the same machine and the tapping plate came off the same machine. The only difference was the color we painted it and the sticker we put on it. Quakerstate, Purolator, Pennzoil, etc.

Fram was different because it was a different company (our competitor).

Toyota branded filters were different. They used a different element (superior filter material) versus the aftermarket but still used the same body and tapping plate.

10-01-14, 11:21

Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Hmac
10-01-14, 14:11

-brickboy240

I agree, a good filter is important...lots of variation in quality brand-to-brand. Tires...same thing. Oil...nah. Oil is oil. Follow mfgrs drain intervals, get API-spec'd oil, you'll be fine...synthetic or otherwise.

I've seen this argument on many other forums. It's an emotional topic.

TMS951
10-01-14, 14:12
Really depends on what kind of car you have. Some engines introduce the need for better oil and additives.

I work in the aftermarket car industry, owning a shop that does service and performance work on VW, Audi, BMW and Porsche. In these cars oil is very important.

While oil is oil, as others have pointed out additive packages differ.

Synthetic oils are different though. Synthetic oils are not all the same, and not all of them use the same additives either.

On the cars I work on oil and additive packages make a huge difference. I am working on tight tolerance engines that are turbo charged or rev over 8000rpm. With out the right oil and good intervals they sludge or spin rod bearings.

You really need to consider your car, your engine, your driving style and how long you plan to keep your car/ the life it has left. With these factors you can decide what oil suits your purposes.

Personally I only use and sell German (or western european) manufactured full synthetic oil with the correct additive packages. With those requirements I actually sell a few different brands: so far Pentosin, Fuchs, Castrol, and Motul. As far as I am concerned thay are all about the same

wildcard600
10-01-14, 14:31
i use cheap Rotella "diesel" oil in the kawasaki's for almost ten years now. havent had the engines let go yet, even at 14K rpm.

guess i just got lucky ?

bluejackets92fs
10-01-14, 14:44
They cut the price down by doing blends with a certain percentage of it being recycled oil. Not a big deal because so do most name brand oils, but they also leave out additives and they typically lose viscosity quicker than other brands. Personally, I use nothing but Royal Purple and K&N filters but I also go around 4,500 miles between changes and drive my car pretty hard at times.

Hmac
10-01-14, 15:10
Boy, there is a lot of myth and rumor surrounding oil. And emotion. Andy Granatelli really opened up the industry to a whole new era of hucksterism. He became a rich man and built a big company on the gullability of the American consumer. It's carried over into what we think we know about "additive packages".

JBecker 72
10-01-14, 15:18
Yeah oil threads bring out the drama and controversy big time.

I've read the UOI's from many people who have had Supertech conventional tested by blackstone labs, it's good enough for me.

bluejackets92fs
10-01-14, 15:21
Boy, there is a lot of myth and rumor surrounding oil. And emotion. Andy Granatelli really opened up the industry to a whole new era of hucksterism. He became a rich man and built a big company on the gullability of the American consumer. It's carried over into what we think we know about "additive packages".

How do you figure? There are numerous additives for viscosity, cleansing and corrosion protection. Same goes with fuel. Oil and fuel companies are always developing new products and advancing their product. Just the same way firearm lubricants have evolved. Certain lubricants have higher temperature resistance as well as resistance to premature breakdown in molecules.

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-14, 15:30

-brickboy240

I agree with your post, as a proud Toyota truck owner I only use OEM parts.

But I have to ask about your Discount Tire comment? I get my tires from them and they are a name brand, Discount Tire will service my tires for the life of the tires at no cost.

JusticeM4
10-01-14, 19:16
Correct. It is literally the same exact stuff as long as it meets the aforementioned specs. It will not break down faster or anything else. If your car's manual specifies that you use something specific or there's a stipulation in your warranty, then by all means do so. But if it simply states 10W-30 or whatever, there's no reason to pay for "premium." I would probably pay for the good filter though.

+1

I run brand name oil in my vehicles. Oil is cheap, engines are EXPENSIVE.

Its not only about the parts you use, but also your maintenance routine. cheap oil/tires are fine if you don't abuse your vehicles and do routine maintenance.

Your responses are not accurate, and very one-sided.

I like my vehicles and buy non-name brand parts and fluids from Walmart or wherever, and don't have issues. Routine maintenance is key, and the way you drive will also dictate the life of your vehicles. I've serviced my cars and sportbikes with some Walmart oils and filters without any issue. My Toyota ran for over 200k miles without the engine breaking down before I sold it. I used the lower-end oils and filters but changed them every 3k miles.

Every car is different though. If you have a higher-end performance/luxury car that may require better oils/fluids like Mobil or Castrol. But for a typical commuter, regular oil is fine.

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-14, 19:21
Yeah oil threads bring out the drama and controversy big time.

Have you seen the various "lube" threads over in the AR discussion sub-forum? :lol:

Same with Ford vs. Chevy . . . AR vs. AK . . . Beatles vs. Rolling Stones . . . etc.

JBecker 72
10-01-14, 19:37
Have you seen the various "lube" threads over in the AR discussion sub-forum? :lol:

Same with Ford vs. Chevy . . . AR vs. AK . . . Beatles vs. Rolling Stones . . . etc.

Yeah it gets a little crazy. Every BCM rifle I bought came with EWL so I keep using that stuff. But I wouldn't be opposed to using some super tech 5w30 in a pinch. lol

tylerw02
10-02-14, 07:22
fare to define why ? if you care at all for the economy of this country you should not shop at WM at all. but that has nothing to do with oil.

This is an unfounded statement. Without Walmart, there thousands upon thousands of unemployed people. I do believe Walmart is the largest employer in the country, as well as the largest purchaser of US-made goods. Speaking with the local plant manager of one of the top ten largest corporations in the country, he claims without Walmart, their company would go bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk