PDA

View Full Version : Malcom Young AC/DC

Averageman
09-30-14, 18:33
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/09/30/acdc-malcolm-young-left-band-due-to-dementia/
The rhythm guitar player and founding member of heavy metal legends AC/DC, Malcolm Young, who announced he will no longer be playing with the band last week is suffering from dementia, People reports.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/malcolm-youngs-family-confirms-ac-dc-guitarists-dementia-20140930
The group had previously announced in April that Young would be taking a break from the band and that it would be recording a new record without him. When AC/DC announced that it would be putting out the record, Rock or Bust, this fall, they confirmed that Young would not be returning to the band, "due to the nature of Malcolm's condition." They did not go into the specifics of the illness.
http://www.acdc.com/us/news/message-acdc
After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-14, 18:35
Damn.

fixit69
09-30-14, 18:43
That really sucks.

Airhasz
09-30-14, 18:44
Angus is the band.

Big A
09-30-14, 21:30
This is sad news :(

AC/DC is the greatest band to ever grace this planet.

Ryno12
09-30-14, 21:50

Absolutely!

I had the pleasure to golf in a foursome in front of Brian Johnson. He was in town for vintage races. The course was pretty busy so we were often backed up on the tee boxes. We were able to chitchat throughout the day. Very nice guy. Pretty funny being heckled by him as you're teeing off.

I tease my wife that we're golfing buddies now. She just rolls her eyes at me. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
09-30-14, 21:54

Hmm now, that is a bold statement.

That I totally agree with.

Heard this the other day on the radio..... what a bummer.

I remember the very first time I heard AC/DC. For a minute I was really happy because I thought Humble Pie had come back with yet another new edge. Then I realized it was someone completely new.... and I thought, "this is off to a good start, whoever it is".

Wake27
09-30-14, 23:01
Damn, I didn't realize their new album was without him. Not as excited anymore...

SteyrAUG
09-30-14, 23:21

I'm not even sure they make the Top 25 let alone the greatest ever.

fixit69
10-01-14, 00:23
As a guitar player, yes they at least get the top 25.

What made me want to play is a list way too long for here. He was more than just rythm guitar.

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-14, 15:11
I'm not even sure they make the Top 25 let alone the greatest ever.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/banhammer_zpsc845fc4b.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/banhammer_zpsc845fc4b.jpg.html)

:jester:

J-Dub
10-01-14, 15:27
AC/DC not top 25???? Ya if you're smoking crack, and like some phag named bono. I mean, Back in Black has to be in the top 10 albums of all time. I cant think of an AC/DC album I don't like. ("for those about to rock" might be my fav)

SteyrAUG
10-01-14, 18:53
AC/DC not top 25???? Ya if you're smoking crack, and like some phag named bono. I mean, Back in Black has to be in the top 10 albums of all time. I cant think of an AC/DC album I don't like. ("for those about to rock" might be my fav)

U2 doesn't even make the Top 100. They had exactly ONE decent song, "New Years Day."

I was thinking of bands like Zepplin, The Beatles, Rush, The Police, etc. AC/DC was always a bit too much "screeching" for me. If you like noise like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt and that sort of nonsense, then yeah AC/DC is the best of the group. And if you go back to the roots of rock and include some blues bands like Sam & Dave there simply isn't room in the Top 25 for AC/DC.

Airhasz
10-01-14, 20:59
Music is subjective to the listener, their is no way other than sales to agree who is best.

HKGuns
10-01-14, 21:36
U2 doesn't even make the Top 100. They had exactly ONE decent song,

Regardless of AC/DC's ranking, you're being far too generous to "Boner" and U2, they don't even register on the scale.

I like AC/DC, never thought about ranking bands much. Too bad for Malcolm, he can lay down some rhythm guitar.

Ned Christiansen
10-01-14, 22:07
Ryno, cool story. Brian always looks in interviews to be a cool guy. I understand he's a non-drinker.

I think AC/DC has properly tipped their hat to the blues several times.... but yeah, they'e not for everyone.

Averageman
10-02-14, 00:37
The Biggest thing AC/DC had going for it at the time was it completely different than anything else out there.
A return to the garage band roots of rock and roll, and early white boy R&B.
It was refreshing at a time when things were over thought, over produced and way over blown. As the giants lay dying here comes AC/DC.
The early stuff was great and I was lucky enough to be going to College with a guy who's Dad was a Diplomat in Australia. He would let little else on his turn table at the time.
They were the best and brightest back to roots rock and roll band of their time, but their time was limited.
I will miss Malcom's contributions to a rock legend.

fixit69
10-02-14, 01:17
Yes. This was we sounded and wanted to sound like jamming with friends. Just jamming and having a fun ass time playing. This was when we stared in the mid eighties. Morphed into learning to shred, all the technical side of playing. But this music was feeling the music and having a damn good time playing loose and free, straight up garage band. Always had one or two songs of theirs in a set list. Of course we would shove Metallica(pre black album), Pantera, mostly heavy stuff, Rush, and a lot of others. Played with some amazing guys that were musicaly much better than me.

We had the most fun just jamming in a cramped room, tweaking old blues and heavy music with a little country and jazz. Yea we were weird because it was the time of selling out and we did what we wanted because it wasn't what we did for our living.

I saw that in AC/DC. They did what they did and damn it sounded good to me.

ETA: the Bon Scott era was better. Much more to the point.

SteyrAUG
10-02-14, 01:49
The Biggest thing AC/DC had going for it at the time was it completely different than anything else out there.
A return to the garage band roots of rock and roll, and early white boy R&B.
It was refreshing at a time when things were over thought, over produced and way over blown. As the giants lay dying here comes AC/DC.

To me they were churning out similar sophomoric "rock anthems" as Pink Floyd, for example I thought "Dirty Deeds" was awesome but I was 12 and thought "Another Brick in the Wall" was also incredible. The sound reminded me a lot of KISS but with slightly less range, they couldn't knock out a "Beth" and a "Detroit Rock City." They knocked out a lot of "Shout it out loud" quality stuff. And they never even came close to being the powerhouse that a bunch of homos named "Queen" were. Queen buried them when it came to basslines, rhythm guitar and vocals.

AC/DC did manage to throw out a few decent ones. "Back in Black" was probably their best single and was put together well. Second best was "Hells Bells" IMO and the rest were mostly forgettable and they were competing with Aerosmith and Billy Squire for a Top 40 spot at best. In some respects even groups like ELO had more range and talent.

SteyrAUG
10-02-14, 01:59
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/banhammer_zpsc845fc4b.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/banhammer_zpsc845fc4b.jpg.html)

:jester:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_IV.jpg

Btw....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States

Over 20 million copies:

1982 Michael Jackson Thriller Epic (27,300,000‡)[3] 29× Platinum
1971 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin IV Atlantic 23,000,000 23× Platinum
1973 Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon Capitol (20,502,000‡)[4] 15× Platinum
(as of 1998)

Over 15 million copies:

1977 Fleetwood Mac Rumours Warner Bros. 19,000,000 19× Platinum
1976 Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) Asylum (18,593,000‡)[5][6] 29× Platinum
1980 AC/DC Back in Black Atlantic (18,430,000‡)[6][7] 22× Platinum
1997 Shania Twain Come On Over Mercury Nashville (17,560,000)[6][8] 20× Platinum
1976 Boston Boston Epic Records 17,000,000 17× Platinum
1991 Metallica Metallica Elektra (16,002,000)[8] 16× Platinum
1976 Eagles Hotel California Asylum 16,000,000 16× Platinum
1974 Elton John Greatest Hits Polydor 16,000,000 16× Platinum
1995 Alanis Morissette Jagged Little Pill Maverick (15,277,000)[6][9] 16× Platinum
1977 Soundtrack / Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever RSO 15,000,000 15× Platinum

Of course this isn't the suggest the Bee Gee's were greater than The Beatles who never broke the 15 million mark but it's still some context.

Averageman
10-02-14, 02:14
I don't think you can go strictly by records sales and say "This was better than that", and it certainly isn't a measure of innovation of talent.
To measure what AC/DC was at the time, I think you have to compare it to something like Jerry Lee Lewis. High energy, rock your socks off basic rock and roll, R&B.
I love some of the music, but understand their limitations.
Comparing what they achieved in record sales to Led Zeppelin or Michael Jackson, is apples and oranges. When we were being besieged by Disco and the early stages of Punk, these guys brought it back to the garage band roots.
That's not to say they stayed there long. After Back in Black, things changed rather quickly and not for the better.

SteyrAUG
10-02-14, 02:53
I don't think you can go strictly by records sales and say "This was better than that", and it certainly isn't a measure of innovation of talent.
To measure what AC/DC was at the time, I think you have to compare it to something like Jerry Lee Lewis. High energy, rock your socks off basic rock and roll, R&B.
I love some of the music, but understand their limitations.
Comparing what they achieved in record sales to Led Zeppelin or Michael Jackson, is apples and oranges. When we were being besieged by Disco and the early stages of Punk, these guys brought it back to the garage band roots.
That's not to say they stayed there long. After Back in Black, things changed rather quickly and not for the better.

Of course not, that is why I specifically pointed out the Bee Gees outsold The Beatles. And certainly time and place have a LOT to do with it. And along those lines Zeppelin, The Beatles and a lot of other very significant bands laid the groundwork for them. But if you want to put a 1980 rock album up against "Back In Black", I think "The Game" dwarfs it and 1979s "In Through the Out Door" trumps both of them.

Again, I don't want to deny AC/DC their place, but I don't want to overstate it either. I wasn't being disparaging when I ranked them with Aerosmith and Squire in terms of talent, influence and innovation. I'd put the Bee Gee's in the Top 100 but not even the Top 50, and this is mindful of the fact that the Bee Gee's had a long career before anyone knew what disco even was.

And I agree, "Back in Black" was their high water mark. I think the band ended after that just as Van Halen ended with the loss of David Lee Roth and Zeppelin ended with the loss of John Bonham.

Big A
10-02-14, 11:03
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ZDCs7ijNUVM

Big A
10-02-14, 11:16
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=S5xnc1p7BMk