PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Switchblade Advertisement (Modern Man - September 1958)...

SteyrAUG
10-01-14, 03:54
http://oi60.tinypic.com/29zq1wz.jpg

Interesting what sold knives back in 1958.

And if anyone was wondering, that 13 1/4" WOLF KILLER for $8.95 adjusted for inflation would be $71.14 today. Not a bad deal for a 13" classic auto assuming it's "as described" with bone handles.

Of course today if you announced you were trapping wolves, and one escaped and you stabbed it to death with a 13" switchblade you won't be seen as the manly man of 1958.

Averageman
10-01-14, 05:20

And if anyone was wondering, that 13 1/4" WOLF KILLER for $8.95 adjusted for inflation would be $71.14 today. Not a bad deal for a 13" classic auto assuming it's "as described" with bone handles.

Of course today if you announced you were trapping wolves, and one escaped and you stabbed it to death with a 13" switchblade you won't be seen as the manly man of 1958.

Unless you used the same KaBar you dispatched Chinamen back at Chosin you weren't much of a man at all I'm sure.

brickboy240
10-01-14, 10:17
Ever handled an old school switchblade or stiletto?

The overall quality of the knives (especially the steel in the blade) made me never want one.

Yes, Dad's old K-Bar (...that he "liberated" from the Corps in the late 50s) is a fantastic knife. I have my Dad's and will always treasure it. Skinned many deer with the beast.

-brickboy240

Averageman
10-01-14, 10:56
My Dad took a very similar knife from me put it in a vise and snapped the blade off.
He wasn't very amused when he found it.

SteyrAUG
10-01-14, 13:43
My Dad took a very similar knife from me put it in a vise and snapped the blade off.
He wasn't very amused when he found it.

You probably don't want to know what it would be worth today.

SteyrAUG
10-01-14, 13:47
Ever handled an old school switchblade or stiletto?

The overall quality of the knives (especially the steel in the blade) made me never want one.

Yes, Dad's old K-Bar (...that he "liberated" from the Corps in the late 50s) is a fantastic knife. I have my Dad's and will always treasure it. Skinned many deer with the beast.

-brickboy240

Yes, they range from the Z grade "made in Japan" Rizuttos of the 60s all the way up to some very high grade examples. The American made ones were generally "pocket knife" quality at best. Most impressive one I've ever seen is a 14" OTF that was hand cocked with a ring on the bottom that was reportedly from the 1930s.

Averageman
10-01-14, 14:37
You probably don't want to know what it would be worth today.

Believe me what ever it would be worth today pales in comparison to what would have happened had I not handed it over.
I got a very important lesson from him that day.

SteyrAUG
10-01-14, 17:08
Believe me what ever it would be worth today pales in comparison to what would have happened had I not handed it over.
I got a very important lesson from him that day.

What was the problem with you having it?

Averageman
10-01-14, 17:57
My Dad sat in jail on an attempted murder charge for 3 months, the charges were later reduced to assault, time served and a hefty fine.
My Dad claimed he had rotated back to the States and walked in to a bar in San Diego for a beer and saw a Man of color slapping a white woman in the face.
There is a lot more to the circumstances and story, but it involved an open knife on the floor when the Cops walked in the bar.
He said the fine was exactly the amount he had in his pocket that day, everything he had saved while overseas.

Denali
10-03-14, 17:38

I have more then a few of these blades, usually their quality was quite poor, though not always, and as you've mentioned the price was right. Here are two examples of modern side opening automatic knives, though in the case of the ZT its rightly referred to as "assisted opening!" The Benchmade "Siebert" 2750 Adamas is an absolute beast, leaving the improbable impression that the 0300 is svelte by way of comparison, which tells you just how beastly the Adamas truly is. The 2750 Adamas employs Benchmades "Auto Axis" design which is orders of magnitude beyond the typical Italian automatic's evolutionary status, the 2750 locking up so completely that there is zero side to side play in its D2 tool steel blade.

If anyone is interested you can still obtain more traditional Italians from Walt's Classics, namely The "Latama Classic" series of side opening Italian Stilettos, though be warned their price is more in line with the cost of the ZT 0300 or Benchmade 2750....2884028841

SteyrAUG
10-03-14, 18:30
I have more then a few of these blades, usually their quality was quite poor, though not always, and as you've mentioned the price was right. Here are two examples of modern side opening automatic knives, though in the case of the ZT its rightly referred to as "assisted opening!" The Benchmade "Siebert" 2750 Adamas is an absolute beast, leaving the improbable impression that the 0300 is svelte by way of comparison, which tells you just how beastly the Adamas truly is. The 2750 Adamas employs Benchmades "Auto Axis" design which is orders of magnitude beyond the typical Italian automatic's evolutionary status, the 2750 locking up so completely that there is zero side to side play in its D2 tool steel blade.

If anyone is interested you can still obtain more traditional Italians from Walt's Classics, namely The "Latama Classic" series of side opening Italian Stilettos, though be warned their price is more in line with the cost of the ZT 0300 or Benchmade 2750....2884028841

I've always been more of a Protech guy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000000390_zps0c7b93f0.jpg~original

Denali
10-03-14, 22:07
I've always been more of a Protech guy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000000390_zps0c7b93f0.jpg~original

The Godfather/Godson series are very cool, well made knives, I've owned a half dozen of them, all lightening fast on open. The Tuxedo on top being one of my favorites...

Trajan
10-03-14, 22:32
I have an Italian stiletto. It's a nicer one with a damascus blade. 9".

The safety is silly, and the button is too pronounced. I've had it deploy in my pocket several times.

Denali
10-03-14, 22:44
I have an Italian stiletto. It's a nicer one with a damascus blade. 9".

The safety is silly, and the button is too pronounced. I've had it deploy in my pocket several times.

Well if that Benchmade/Siebert Adamas 2750 were to do that, you'd likely be emasculated....:) That is one beefy, bad ass automatic, in fact its the only auto opener I'd really feel comfortable with in a genuine defensive situation. It has dedicated "dual coil springs" for releasing the blade, if you deploy it without a solid grip its going for a ride...

Denali
10-04-14, 11:51
28852 This is a "Walt's Classics Latama Classic" stiletto, unlike the typical Frank Beltrame stuff which is hit or miss, these are seriously well constructed pieces, unfortunately their price reflects this and they are beyond the reach of most casual collectors...Scales are of course pinned as opposed to screwed into place, but that is the traditional Italian method, and the Latama autos are entirely traditional. Their blades are twice as thick as your average Beltrame, and the fitting perfect, blade is 440c and unsharpened...

SteyrAUG
10-04-14, 20:17
28852 This is a "Walt's Classics Latama Classic" stiletto, unlike the typical Frank Beltrame stuff which is hit or miss, these are seriously well constructed pieces, unfortunately their price reflects this and they are beyond the reach of most casual collectors...Scales are of course pinned as opposed to screwed into place, but that is the traditional Italian method, and the Latama autos are entirely traditional. Their blades are twice as thick as your average Beltrame, and the fitting perfect, blade is 440c and unsharpened...

I miss the DKD Italian style autos.

Trajan
10-04-14, 21:05
Well if that Benchmade/Siebert Adamas 2750 were to do that, you'd likely be emasculated....:) That is one beefy, bad ass automatic, in fact its the only auto opener I'd really feel comfortable with in a genuine defensive situation. It has dedicated "dual coil springs" for releasing the blade, if you deploy it without a solid grip its going for a ride...

Adamas is a huge knife (handle is way too thick). No way I'd ever carry that thing.

Yeah the spring in my LUDT is the same way. The 3.4" S30V blade weighs more than the aluminum handle, so you gotta have a firm grip on it.

I don't think I'd buy another folder that isn't waved (or could be modified as such) though. I've really taken a liking to my zip-tie modded Endura FFG. Faster and no springs to worry about.

Denali
10-04-14, 21:30
Adamas is a huge knife (handle is way too thick). No way I'd ever carry that thing.

Yeah the spring in my LUDT is the same way. The 3.4" S30V blade weighs more than the aluminum handle, so you gotta have a firm grip on it.

I don't think I'd buy another folder that isn't waved (or could be modified as such) though. I've really taken a liking to my zip-tie modded Endura FFG. Faster and no springs to worry about.
Oh yeah, its way to thick for pocket carry(2750), it literally makes the "ZT 0300 feel and look sleek and slender in comparison," which is just crazy, both weigh in around 7-8 oz...

Denali
10-04-14, 21:54
I miss the DKD Italian style autos.

I believe I once owned one, a swing guard called a "Phantom" that had blue titanium scales with black G10 inserts that I traded some years ago now. The guy I traded it to used to have a booth at all of the best gun shows, he had an elaborate five table or bigger display as I recall, each with a very large glass display case filled with high end folding knives, all semi or full custom creations from Chris Reeve, and those guy's, about half of them were autos and half manual opening. I remember the guy was always trying to sell his operation off, but who'd want to haul all of that around, each weekend setting it all up on Friday afternoon, then tearing it all down Sunday afternoon, a real PIA. Nonetheless, I believe that he had half a million dollars in custom knives at most every gun show and his tables were always packed with business...

SteyrAUG
10-04-14, 23:55
I believe I once owned one, a swing guard called a "Phantom" that had blue titanium scales with black G10 inserts that I traded some years ago now. The guy I traded it to used to have a booth at all of the best gun shows, he had an elaborate five table or bigger display as I recall, each with a very large glass display case filled with high end folding knives, all semi or full custom creations from Chris Reeve, and those guy's, about half of them were autos and half manual opening. I remember the guy was always trying to sell his operation off, but who'd want to haul all of that around, each weekend setting it all up on Friday afternoon, then tearing it all down Sunday afternoon, a real PIA. Nonetheless, I believe that he had half a million dollars in custom knives at most every gun show and his tables were always packed with business...

Yep, I wanted a Phantom in grey but missed the boat and now they sell for 4 or 5 times as much. But as much as I love autos, this is my real weakness.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/q82/s720x720/10455256_667712349976246_7783374353997094138_n.jpg?oh=28570ac2528f0fdb24e607bab1d2f508&oe=54BB83C6

austinN4
10-05-14, 08:14
I had one similar from Mexico back in the late 50's. Wish I had kept it.