PDA

View Full Version : Resistance is Futile...

mtdawg169
10-01-14, 22:48
I've been on the fence about a suppressor for my AR's for a couple of years now. I waffled back and forth between a dedicated 5.56 can and a multi caliber can. For a while I considered an SDN-6, then earlier this year it seemed like the SR5 & SR7 would finally see the light of day. At the same time, I was also considering the SF SOCOM 556. The more I debated, the more confused I became. Somewhere along the way, I also looked at the Specwar cans and the Saker 556 & 762. Then, to complicate matters even further, GA legalized suppressors for hunting this year. And the internal debate continued. Multi cal or no? Which brand? Which mounting method? Size, weight, etc, etc.

Well, the AAC rebate offer sort of elevated a suppressor on my priority list recently and I decided that I needed to do something before the rebate expired on 9/30. So I dropped by my local NFA shop, Quiet Riot Firearms, on Monday and was committed to getting off the fence and making a decision. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the vast majority, if not all of my shooting is currently and would likely continue to be with 556. I don't currently own anything in 300 / 762 that would easily suppress and I think there are better options for hunting than 300. So, that meant if I ever built a 300 upper, it would probably never be more than a novelty for me. Due to ammo costs, I knew it would never see extensive range time. And anything else appropriate for hunting, would still be relatively loud (6.8 or 7.62). I also weighed the disadvantages of additional length and weight on the multi cal cans. The rifle can will spend the majority of time on my 11.5 SBR, but will also see time on my 14.5, 16 & 17" rifles. So I strolled into QRF on Monday ready to strike a deal on a 556 can, which I felt would be the best choice for me, based on my most likely uses.

Of course, I get there and my plan goes to crap quickly. I sat there and fondled the Sakers, an M4-2000, SDN-6 and a brand new SR7. That SR7 really, really tempted me. Ultimately though, I couldn't justify the cost difference between the M42K and the SR7 because the shop owner made me a good deal on the M42K. He also had an unbelievable deal on the TiRant 9 & 45, at $349 & $499. I never really thought I would ever have much use for a pistol can. But at that price, I couldn't resist, especially with the rebate in play. By the end of my visit, I had not only finally made a decision on a rifle can, but had also bought a Tirant 9! With the unbelievable price on the T9, I ended up with both cans for an almost 2 for 1 deal and the rebates will cover mounts for all four of my rifles.

I suppose patience pays off, or maybe indecision, I don't know which! Either way, I'm happy and looking forward to getting my cans in hand a few months from now. Hopefully, I'll get to shoot them a time or two before then at the owner's range located off site. So, there you have it, one man's 2 year saga of doubt and indecision is nearing an end. And of course, the day after I close the deal, AAC extended the rebate until the end of the year. No big deal, but I thought it was funny because I pulled the trigger on Monday in part based on the previous expiration on 9/30. Also, I've got to say thanks to Jake at QRF. If you're in the market for a new can, especially a TiRant, I'd highly recommend that you give him a call or check out the site at www.quietriotfirearms.com.

I'll update with range reports on 2 or three rifles when the cans arrive, as I'm really curious to see how it performs on my 11.5 SR16 barrel, 14.5 ELW and Noveske 17" lightweight contour barrel. Thanks to everyone here for your contributions, as the various reviews and product information has been a tremendous resource for me as I weighed my options over the last couple of years. More to come soon, Mtdawg169.

TexasGunNut
10-02-14, 00:41
I did the same waffling on my first can purchase and now I'm so spoiled I rarely shoot without one. I was kicking myself today for missing the rebate - now I'm I'm shopping again! I used to buy cans for guns - now I swear I buy cans and justify the gun purchase afterwards ;)

mtdawg169
10-02-14, 06:04
I did the same waffling on my first can purchase and now I'm so spoiled I rarely shoot without one. I was kicking myself today for missing the rebate - now I'm I'm shopping again! I used to buy cans for guns - now I swear I buy cans and justify the gun purchase afterwards ;)

I can understand that. I bought a 22lr can earlier this year and it's been the most fun I've had in a long time. I've acquired several hosts for it since January. Ultimately, I'll probably end up with a 762 can also.

BigWaylon
10-02-14, 06:33
The rebate is extended until 12/31/14. Hopefully that doesn't hurt your wallet too bad.

mtdawg169
10-02-14, 09:34
The rebate is extended until 12/31/14. Hopefully that doesn't hurt your wallet too bad.

I'm done for a while, but the rebates and pricing I got on these two was such a good deal that I just couldn't resist any longer.

dpd229
11-04-14, 18:17
I'm done for a while, but the rebates and pricing I got on these two was such a good deal that I just couldn't resist any longer.

I was in the same boat. But i ended up with the 762SD and the Tirant 45. 575 and 499 respectively both from QRF and ill get the mounts for both my pistols and for may ar and my scout rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtdawg169
11-05-14, 15:30
I was in the same boat. But i ended up with the 762SD and the Tirant 45. 575 and 499 respectively both from QRF and ill get the mounts for both my pistols and for may ar and my scout rifle.

Congrats! Are you active on the Trader?

dpd229
11-05-14, 19:19
Congrats! Are you active on the Trader?

A little. I actually sold you a vltor upper a while back. At your office.

mtdawg169
11-05-14, 21:49
A little. I actually sold you a vltor upper a while back. At your office.

Haha, that's awesome! Hope you're doing well.

elnino31
11-15-14, 09:01
I've seen Tirant 45s for 499. But $349 for the 9!! Damm!! That's a good deal. I bought shadow 9 years ago just b/c it was only 400.

I would have trouble passing on the tirant 9 for that price if a I had a local dealer that sold em at that price

mtdawg169
11-15-14, 09:20
At that price you can afford to have it transferred to any dealer you like!