PDA

View Full Version : Tell me again why I am behind the times for not having FB

Leaveammoforme
10-02-14, 19:09
Islamic State militants called on supporters to scour social media for addresses of their family members – and to “show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/02/army-warns-us-military-personnel-on-isis-threat-to-family-members/

Facebook manipulated the types of updates users saw in their News Feeds to see if they could manipulate people's emotions.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/02/facebook-tightens-rules-for-research-experiments-on-users/16592011/

This isn't aimed at anyone here because we are all mostly like minded. But it just blows me away how easily people give up info. Your info is not safe, it will be used against you & yes, people play dirty. Protect your people.

C-grunt
10-02-14, 19:20
Privacy settings are going to keep your personal info away from people (ie ISIS) you don't want to have it.

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-14, 19:22
Reminds of the idiots that put their children(s) names on the back of their cars with the sports team they play for. Not to mention the homo stick family stickers.

Nothing like letting every pedophile in your AO know how many children you have, what their names are, and what sport teams they play on.

MountainRaven
10-02-14, 19:40
First rule of the internet: Never post up your home address.

As for FB filtering posts to control the emotions of its users... it's not like that hasn't been done in advertising, television, and movies since somebody realized that if they paint a picture of a pretty lady next to their brand name that it might make people want to buy their goods. I'm sure that if you went back a thousand years, you'd see a picture somebody painted of a naked lady with wings and a helmet and '+ULFBERHT+' nearby.

platoonDaddy
10-02-14, 20:20
I don't have FB or a iPhone type device.

Being old school, if anyone wants to reach me, leave a voice mail on my home answering machine (if it wasn't for the wife wanting one, I wouldn't have one.)

BUT, I certainly have email.

SeriousStudent
10-02-14, 20:29
If you are not paying for it, you are not the customer.

Think about how much someone paid for their free Twitter, email and Facebook account. Then think about who did pay them.

Outlander Systems
10-02-14, 20:46

Think about how much someone paid for their free Twitter, email and Facebook account. Then think about who did pay them.

My reasoning is simply, if you are my "friend", you can "socially network" with me over a beer.

But, yeah, your post is about the wisest thing I've ever seen written about it.

SeriousStudent
10-02-14, 20:53
Yup, I do have friends, and really love a great microbrew beer. Sipping a delicious local IPA as I type this.

But this website is about as close as I get to social media.

HKGuns
10-02-14, 21:05
this website is about as close as I get to social media.

Yep.....

LoveAR
10-02-14, 21:10
Not interested in being on FB at all.

SteyrAUG
10-02-14, 21:34
It would be hilarious if some ISIS types found either of my FB pages.

CodeRed30
10-02-14, 21:44

The_War_Wagon
10-02-14, 22:09
FAZEbook?!?! Is that thing STILL around? :rolleyes:

Honu
10-02-14, 22:41
and post pics of them all over so wackos can window shop
then family post up where they are etc...

yeah don't get that side of things at all ?

Reminds of the idiots that put their children(s) names on the back of their cars with the sports team they play for. Not to mention the homo stick family stickers.

Nothing like letting every pedophile in your AO know how many children you have, what their names are, and what sport teams they play on.

jpmuscle
10-02-14, 23:36
It would be hilarious if some ISIS types found either of my FB pages.
Just hashtag ISIS, or whatever the hell the thingy is when you post lol.

SteyrAUG
10-03-14, 00:06
Just hashtag ISIS, or whatever the hell the thingy is when you post lol.

Something tells me that if I did that, ISIS wouldn't be the only "interested party" to find my facebook pages. Although the thought of some low level functionary in a cubicle at NSA, CIA or the FBI trying to figure out the connection between Bruce Lee, old nunchaku and modern domestic terrorism is almost enough to make me do it.

MountainRaven
10-03-14, 00:26
Something tells me that if I did that, ISIS wouldn't be the only "interested party" to find my facebook pages. Although the thought of some low level functionary in a cubicle at NSA, CIA or the FBI trying to figure out the connection between Bruce Lee, old nunchaku and modern domestic terrorism is almost enough to make me do it.

I feel like you might be as disappointed as Detective Munch (Law & Order: SVU) was on receiving his FBI file from the '60s and '70s after placing a FOIA request.

Moose-Knuckle
10-03-14, 02:29

:lol:

jpmuscle
10-03-14, 03:00
Do it do it do it.

Apricotshot
10-03-14, 07:12
Yeah, FB will blow up your spot....Or the moto tags and stickers adorning all the dependa's cars in the driveway.

Eurodriver
10-03-14, 08:20
If you are in your 20s not having a Facebook is entirely possible but it can cause some real life complications. For example, I missed out on a great big birthday bash one of my friends was having because I am not on FB. His girlfriend wanted it to be a surprise and did a group message to everyone on Facebook to invite them. I don't know her very well so she had no way of getting in touch with me. Other friends assumed I was already aware of it. Facebook is such a big part of my friends' lives that, for a while, they honestly didn't believe I deleted my facebook and thought I just didn't want to be friends with them anymore.

Also, the United States Marine Corps actually sends out IRR information to Marines via Facebook now. I get the emails from 4th Mar Div and they are constantly referring questions and information to their Facebook page.

I had a Facebook for about 5 years, and got rid of it about a year ago. Best thing I ever did social media wise. Now I have no presence on social media except for M4C, and now that I'm getting involved in the local business world, LinkedIn. I'm not a fan of having my name and face out there, but my LinkedIn account was directly responsible for me getting a job offer at one of the Big 4. Their privacy policy is also very much in line with what I think most M4C users would like to see.

Of course, anything you put out there is out there forever - but it's nice to see a company say "We won't sell your information for advertising, and if you delete something we do not store it" even if they don't mean it ;)

With all of that said, as much as some of us don't like social media...eventually it is going to be a necessity - like a cell phone. It may not happen before you are dead, but I have no doubt a Facebook-type presence online will be a requirement to exist.

WillBrink
10-03-14, 08:38
Fear of ISIS showing up randomly at your house does not seem a legit reason to not have FB, but what ever makes people happy I guess. You can't get my home address off FB, and if one has any sluth knowledge, the home address, and nice satellite photo of your place to plan the raid, can be found for virtually anyone believe me. FB the least of most people's security worries if they use at least some common PERSEC rules.

Amazingly, some have created their own problems by posting highly personal info, OPSEC info, etc thinking it's some how their own private space on the 'net, but no cure for stupid.

Me, FB has done well for its intended use, and other uses such as making new contacts, networking, etc.

markm
10-03-14, 08:49
The twitter retardation is what annoys me. The Facebook machine is what you make of it.

pinzgauer
10-03-14, 09:01

Careful, how much do 98% of posters pay for this site? And who does pay.... :)

I choose to use a paid service for my family email. Cost is nominal, and I get full control, no ads.

Sometimes sponsorship and ads are just a way of funding something worth doing. And sometimes its a business model. But not inherently evil.

Not to defend Facebook... Or google or yahoo or your cell company or your bank...

Anyone who thinks they are bypassing big data is either naïve or is a cash only propertyless hermit riding a bicycle.

BoringGuy45
10-03-14, 10:13
I've had my Facebook page pretty much since it became available to colleges other than Harvard; so, that's about 9 years now. I remember when it was only for college students and your profile was automatically blocked from view from anyone outside your college unless you were friends. Essentially, it was good for seeking out friends and/or potential SOs at your own school and keeping in touch with friends from high school who left the area, but that was it. I don't think I'll get rid of it because it's currently my only link to some old friends. I'm just very careful not to address controversial topics in any accusatory or inflammatory way and I never personally attack anyone. I'm VERY careful about my choice of wording on everything I write. I also make sure not to use any profanity beyond maybe damn and hell. As a result, I can hold an account and not worry about my job or any future jobs.

Pi3
10-03-14, 10:36
CIA's 'Facebook' Program Dramatically Cut Agency's Costs

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-facebook-program-dramatically-cut-agencys-cos,19753/

Parody!

markm
10-03-14, 10:40
Awesome. ;)

"400 billion tweets and not one bit of useful information" :sarcastic:

GunBugBit
10-03-14, 10:52
Avoid that social media crapola like the plague. Internet gun forums are more than enough for me.

Abraham
10-03-14, 11:02
I'm glad to see I'm not alone: No FB / No Tweeting (damn that word annoys me - could it sound any pansier?) for me.

I limit myself to this site and one other gun site.

I don't know what instagram is all about or reddit or pinit or a million other b.s. things on the internet that seem to take up so much of people's interest they've little time for things outdoors.

I spend about 15/20 minutes a day on the internet. The rest of the time I'm doing stuff outside.

Like now, I've got to mow an acre and a half, but first I've got to pickup a ton of limb litter first and take it to the burn pile, before I can do the mowing.

After mowing, I plan to get in about 100/150 rounds of Glock 19 shooting in my back yard range and then...well, you get the picture.

Plus, there wouldn't be a computer in my house at all if it wasn't for my wife. As a Sr. Systems Analyst she HAD to have one she advised me. So we do.

markm
10-03-14, 11:11
Plus, there wouldn't be a computer in my house at all if it wasn't for my wife. As a Sr. Systems Analyst she HAD to have one she advised me. So we do.

You're extreme in the other direction... I think people can have a facebook and still remain sane.

I'm pretty disgusted by the mass drones out and about who can't function without their idiotic faces buried in their "smart" phone. It's pathetic really.

Abraham
10-03-14, 14:11
markm,

I don't have a "smart phone" either.

Don't want or need one.

markm
10-03-14, 14:14
markm,

I don't have a "smart phone" either.

Don't want or need one.

I'm with you! I keep a cell phone, but refuse to own a smart phone.

WillBrink
10-03-14, 16:25
I'm with you! I keep a cell phone, but refuse to own a smart phone.

You don't own smart phones, they own you. :ph34r:

tylerw02
10-04-14, 17:40
Back when I got Facebook, you had to have a college email to even log on. There were no dollars being made. I for rid of Facebook a few years ago because I found it silly after a while. I got tired of seeing everybody's drama and all the bs everybody puts on there. I really don't care about seeing pictures of dinner, your kids, or the workout you planned but didn't do.

Too many people would get offended and angry if you didn't want to be their "friend". For Pete's sake, we may have not seen each other in ten years but my phone number hasn't ever changed and my address has only changed once.

Thinking a bad guy is going to come hurt you over it means you were too dumb to use it without disclosing private information or you disclosed things in an untimely matter. The old saying, stupid hurts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk