PDA

View Full Version : Are the Russians working on a new assault rifle cartridge?

Jaws
10-03-14, 12:00
I found this on the Military photos forum and it looks interesting, coming from Rogozin:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&nv=1&rurl=www.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.rg.ru/2014/09/23/rogozin.html&usg=ALkJrhjAf94GVlxtGe-dbYGp8KL0L316zQ

[ Quote] *Motorized infantry and paratroopers will receive a brand new combat gear "Warrior."*Expected and real sensation.*Soon there will be a new caliber firearms.*Experts say that the rifles and machine guns of the new generation of high quality surpass all known "Kalashnikovs" 5.45 and 7.62 mm.[/quote].
It sounds like they are working on something cool.

Ned Christiansen
10-03-14, 12:08
It has two barrels and fires 5.45 and 7.62 alternately..... that should cover about everything, eh?

But seriously, should be interesting. I'd have said there was not a pressing need and OMG the logistics of changing out the whole country, but this does not necessarily mean they intend to do that.

markm
10-03-14, 12:09
Could be 300 Russian USELESS! (to compete with the American round known as .300 USELESS)

Or maybe they're working on 6.8 WORTHLESS.

Jaws
10-03-14, 12:13
They were working on a 6 mm cartridge back in late eighties, early nineties, but gave up because of bad shape Russia was in back then.
Could this be that 6x49mm unified cartridge they were working on?

The_War_Wagon
10-03-14, 12:36

I always thought "SPC" stood for, "Stops Putin Cold!" :rolleyes:

jwfuhrman
10-03-14, 14:25
Could be 300 Russian USELESS! (to compete with the American round known as .300 USELESS)

Hey now, it's not completely worthless, it does a good job of dropping Midwestern White Tail lol

WickedWillis
10-03-14, 15:11
Hey now, it's not completely worthless, it does a good job of dropping Midwestern White Tail lol

And is a fantastic suppressed sub-sonic round.

Symmetry
10-03-14, 16:49
They were working on a 6 mm cartridge back in late eighties, early nineties, but gave up because of bad shape Russia was in back then.
Could this be that 6x49mm unified cartridge they were working on?

This is true. It was a semi joint venture with the Chinese to create a cartridge that could better fill the role of universal infantry cartridge.......those roles being regular infantry, SAW, and designated marksman. Essentially they recognized that warfare was incorporating more armor, and precision sighting systems which lengthened battlefield ranges regardless of terrain. There was also a plan to upgrade the aging 7.62x54, but with the Soviet empire in collapse there was no money to feed their soldiers let alone upgrade weapon systems.

The Chinese on the other hand followed through with the concept and adopted the 5.8x42mm. It is a little on the weak side for a universal cartridge, but for a jack of all trades cartridge it does pretty well. In steel cased configuration, it rivals brass cased 5.56 loads. In brass cased configuration, the 5.8 is quite impressive in the designated marksman role. A Russian arms report several years ago commented on the brass cased 5.8mm using a 6 gram bullet with a BC of .5 and a muzzle velocity of 850m/s.

BluntForceTrauma
10-06-14, 22:37
Damn Russkies better not steal the 6.5 Grendel now that one of their state arsenals is tooled up to mass produce it. They stole every other great idea the Americans and Germans ever had. ;)

Belloc
10-07-14, 01:32
Never heard anything about a new round until now, but some are reporting that this will be their new assault rifle, and not the AK-12.

http://i.imgur.com/hrQNCHa.jpg

ABNAK
10-07-14, 01:39
Never heard anything about a new round until now, but some are reporting that this will be their new assault rifle, and not the AK-12.

http://i.imgur.com/hrQNCHa.jpg

That looks like an HK and an AK had a drunken romp in the sack!

Moose-Knuckle
10-07-14, 17:35
I see they have not moved passed paddle design magazine insertion/ejection and still have not discovered flash suppressors.

WickedWillis
10-07-14, 17:38

And had a baby that looks like Jennifer Lawrence. I love how that rifle looks.

Outlander Systems
10-07-14, 17:52

The MP-14.

; )

MountainRaven
10-07-14, 21:01
I see they have not moved passed paddle design magazine insertion/ejection and still have not discovered flash suppressors.

I would guess the first part is because of the AK-74 magazines. As for the second....

Flash suppressor is Western decadence. True soldier does not hide position but showers enemy with bullets - he kills enemy and prevents enemy from return fire. Za rodinu!

Moose-Knuckle
10-07-14, 21:09
Flash suppressor is Western decadence. True soldier does not hide position but showers enemy with bullets - he kills enemy and prevents enemy from return fire. Za rodinu!

LOL, but yeah but that big basketball flame coming out the end also hinder low light eye sight of the shooter.

MountainRaven
10-07-14, 21:13
LOL, but yeah but that big basketball flame coming out the end also hinder low light eye sight of the shooter.

Vision not necessary, tovarisch - it hinders maximum effectiveness of accuracy by volume of fire.

:jester: