PDA

View Full Version : do you think a 7.5 barrel stable for can

skt4271
10-03-14, 19:40
thinking of usuing a noveske 7.5 1:7t barrel, do you think itll stablize enough for my can? i will be shooting 55gr and maybe 62gr. for sure.

Iraqgunz
10-04-14, 03:10
Well you could start by doing a search of the subject and reading up on it. Then I would ask said manufacturer of suppressor if they will warrantee the suppressor in the event of a baffle strike. Once you have that info, then you should decide if it's worth it.

Jer
10-04-14, 09:16
It's not a stabilization issue. It's a blast baffle issue.

eodinert
10-04-14, 14:37
It's also a stabilization issue.

Most manufacturers have strong opinions on this.

skt4271
10-04-14, 14:40
I have email noveske and aac, no response yet but it's the weekend. I figured I ask here because I would have thought someone would have done it by now. I did Google and read but it always good off topic to why, no gains, and other mumbo jumbo.

BigWaylon
10-04-14, 15:36
You still haven't said what can...

For instance, SiCo would warranty their Saker 5.56 for that setup, but not their Specwar 5.56.

You ought to be able to test for stability shooting at paper and looking for keyholes. A 1:7 barrel shouldn't be an issue. The choice of which suppressor absolutely is something to consider.

skt4271
10-04-14, 15:44
762sdn6

TXBK
10-04-14, 16:48
You still haven't said what can...

For instance, SiCo would warranty their Saker 5.56 for that setup, but not their Specwar 5.56.

You ought to be able to test for stability shooting at paper and looking for keyholes. A 1:7 barrel shouldn't be an issue. The choice of which suppressor absolutely is something to consider.

I have only seen where SilencerCo warranties both Saker and Specwar K's down to 7", but neither of the full-size versions.

BigWaylon
10-04-14, 17:16
I have only seen where SilencerCo warranties both Saker and Specwar K's down to 7", but neither of the full-size versions.

The Specwar 762, Saker 762 and Saker 556 are all warrantied down to 7" for 5.56. The Specwar 556 is only down to 10".

The only thing I've seen rating the 556K versions is they're the same as the fullsize, which would be 7" for the Saker K 556 and 10" for the Specwar K 556. I'm not going to say they haven't said differently, I just haven't seen it anywhere

ETA: FWIW...I've reached out to SiCo to see if they'll go on the record as to ratings on the K cans. Will post up if/when I get a reply.

762sdn6

Straight from AAC's website (http://www.advanced-armament.com/Warranty-Information_ep_50-1.html):

WARRANTY INFORMATION

SILENCER LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY AAC will repair or replace free of charge any silencer manufactured by AAC for the duration of this lifetime warranty. This warranty is of unlimited duration, and covers, at Advanced Armament Corp. and its affiliates’ discretion, service, repair, and/or replacement of damaged products caused by normal use.

LIMITATIONS This warranty does not cover damage to the silencer and/or host firearm resulting in whole or in part from criminal, abusive or negligent use, improper or careless handling, unauthorized modifications, defective, improper handloaded or reloaded ammunition, or neglect. Any repairs to the unit made necessary by these factors will be invoiced to the owner. Further, baffle strikes which are not due to a defect in workmanship are not covered by this warranty. Centerfire rifle caliber silencers are not warrantied for use on barrels less than 10” in length. 762-SDN-6 and SR7 silencer are warrantied on barrels as short as 7.5” when used with 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

DEFINED Negligent or abusive use is defined as utilizing the silencer in a way that is likely to result in premature wear or damage to either the silencer or the host firearm. Further, the warranty does not cover prohibited usage as described in our various owners’ manuals. This expressed limited lifetime warranty is the only warranty on this product. This product is sold “as is” and has no implied warranties or merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There are not warranties which exceed beyond the description put forth hereto. If your silencer is not covered under this warranty, you may have the silencer replaced for half the most current retail price- subject to any and all transfer fees required by the BATFE.

Jer
10-04-14, 17:21
It's also a stabilization issue.

Most manufacturers have strong opinions on this.

The warranty issue is because shorter barrels are hell on blast baffles.

VIP3R 237
10-04-14, 17:48
You have a good barrel so I wouldn't worry about the threads being concentric to the bore as this seems to be the leading cause of baffle strike. Now why anyone wants a suppressor on a 7.5" barrel is beyond me, they are not hearing safe so it is still recommended to wear hearing protection.

...and stabilization. I've talked to a couple mfg's and they say its a combo of both. Most cans warranted for 7 inch barrels need to have a slightly larger diameter on their first baffle. IIRC the Specwar 5.56 and the Saker both have stellite baffles, but the Saker's first baffle has a larger diameter to allow the wobble from a not stable projectile, however it does hurt performance slightly. Also Silencerco will not warrantee a baffle strike unless it is a defect in their workmanship.

Silencerco assumes no responsibility for baffle strikes that were not caused by defect in workmanship.

Jer
10-04-14, 20:32
Silencerco assumes no responsibility for baffle strikes that were not caused by defect in workmanship.
...and stabilization. I've talked to a couple mfg's and they say its a combo of both. Most cans warranted for 7 inch barrels need to have a slightly larger diameter on their first baffle. IIRC the Specwar 5.56 and the Saker both have stellite baffles, but the Saker's first baffle has a larger diameter to allow the wobble from a not stable projectile, however it does hurt performance slightly. Also Silencerco will not warrantee a baffle strike unless it is a defect in their workmanship.

Your quote from the manufacturer doesn't prove your case. Lots of operator error can cause a baffle strike that have nothing to do with barrel length.

TXBK
10-05-14, 08:56
My response to SilencerCo's warrantied length down to 7" on both K's is in regards to the descriptions on Silencer Shop's website.

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-saker-556/

“Our goal with the K versions of the Saker was to create the shortest and lightest hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer available,” noted Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo. “This K version of the Saker will still carry our lifetime warranty and can be used for full auto fire on barrel lengths down to 7 inches.”

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-specwar-556/

“Our goal with the K version of the Specwar was to create the shortest and lightest hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer available,” noted Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo. “This K version of the Specwar will still carry our lifetime warranty and can be used for full auto fire on barrel lengths down to 7 inches.”

I realize the quotes are carbon copies of one another, but it is on the internet, so it has to be true. Perhaps, SilencerCo. will arrive, and set the record straight.

markm
10-05-14, 09:01
If you need a 7.5" barrel, switch calibers to 300 USELESS. 5.56 that short is fukking retarded.

TXBK
10-05-14, 09:09
If you need a 7.5" barrel, switch calibers to 300 USELESS. 5.56 that short is fukking retarded.

That is definitely the short answer to his question.

Voodoo_Man
10-05-14, 11:17
7.5 DI may be an issue.

7.5 piston (like pws) is a workhorse.

USAF1980s
10-05-14, 11:17
Well I have the aforementioned 7.5" length uppers (both DI with adjustable gas block and an Adams Arms piston type, 1:7 rate in both, I use the piston one though) in 5.56 and use the AAC breakout 51t mount for my SDN-6. That allows both a F... retarded (I do understand why the comment from Markm), blast-O-tron for amusement as well as a tamed version by adding the SDN-6. Two kinds of fun to shoot. The 7.5" is an Adams Arms piston upper (this is intended for pistol use but I use it on NFA SBR and FA platforms (no vertical fore grip for me due to SBR rules, just use a hand stop).

Look, the 7.5" is fun but NOT my upper for reliable use (though I have had ZERO issues with the AA upper), I use 11.5" versions in the same configuration.

As far as 'will a suppressor LIVE with a 7.5" upper, as a thread on, that would really shorten the life of the first few baffles in the can. In my configuration, the 51t mount provides 1 or 2 (depending on breakout or blackout FH installed) sacrificial blast baffles. I can change out the FH when the first baffle starts to wear in diameter (some number of k rounds). With the SDN-6 on a 5.56mm platform, baffle strikes and wear are much less likely and it provides pretty good suppression. i.e. I'm happy with the decision.

I also have 300BLK uppers and use the can on that platform.

Aside from blast baffle issues, the shorter barrels (even 11.5") are still allowing combustion of propellant outside of the muzzle (and fantastic flash with the blackout and H335 powder). The extra-barrel combustion really adds to the thermal heating of the suppressor, so that has to be considered.

In all cases, the barrel twist rate must be rapid enough to stabilize the projectile (key holing issue).

For me, the SDN-6 and blackout (7.5") and breakout (11.5") has been a very good combination... I'm happy.. (yes, it is Fing retarded, but fun)

skt4271
10-05-14, 12:09
I did the sands with my 10.5 upper, my is showing little erosion. I just want a short fun gun. If I shoot 223 will that matter?

sua175
10-05-14, 13:41

This!

BigWaylon
10-05-14, 14:19
My response to SilencerCo's warrantied length down to 7" on both K's is in regards to the descriptions on Silencer Shop's website.

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-saker-556/

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-specwar-556/

I realize the quotes are carbon copies of one another, but it is on the internet, so it has to be true. Perhaps, SilencerCo. will arrive, and set the record straight.
That's definitely odd...especially since they don't even list the 7" rating on the normal Saker & Specwar in the description.

PatrioticDisorder
10-05-14, 14:57
That's definitely odd...especially since they don't even list the 7" rating on the normal Saker & Specwar in the description.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the early sepcwars built with inconel instead of Stallete? I thought I remember hearing about sepcwars being buikt with Stallete once the Sakers arrived, perhaps this is the reason Silencerco says they are now rated down to 7"?

BigWaylon
10-05-14, 16:31
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the early sepcwars built with inconel instead of Stallete? I thought I remember hearing about sepcwars being buikt with Stallete once the Sakers arrived, perhaps this is the reason Silencerco says they are now rated down to 7"?
Don't know. Never had any if their reps give any conditions to the ratings when asked.

Is there anybody from SiCo on these forums? I asked them in their ARFCOM Industry Forum.

PatrioticDisorder
10-05-14, 18:00
Don't know. Never had any if their reps give any conditions to the ratings when asked.

Is there anybody from SiCo on these forums? I asked them in their ARFCOM Industry Forum.

NickB, but I do know the original sepcwars were inconel then later upgraded to stellate and I'm guessing this is when the ratings changed, but don't quote me on it.

eodinert
10-05-14, 21:36

So are bullets hitting them.

Here is one example, in an AAC users manual for an AAC Ranger (the first one I looked in).

"Alignment and barrel length notes
[skip to last paragraph under that heading]
Due to the potential risk for damage due to a baffle strike from an unstable projectile, we only warranty the Ranger 2 on weapons using a barrel with a length of 10 inches or greater."

http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/manuals/aac_manual_ranger.pdf

BigWaylon
10-07-14, 18:18
As info...

Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Originally Posted By kc_silencerco:
The Specwar K is rated down to a 10" barrel just like the standard Specwar

The Saker K, thanks to the Hoplon baffle, is rated down to 7" barrel.

Both are still full-auto rated
Somebody going to clue "Josh Waldron, CEO of Silencerco" in on that? http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif

You can see my reply...