PDA

View Full Version : m4carbine.net takes over Hollywood

MountainRaven
10-04-14, 20:32
So I noticed something about The Avengers when I first watched it: It seems as though m4cabineers advised on weapons choices. Fury using an M&P, Hawkeye a P30, Black Widow and Agent Hill with Glocks.

And now I'm watching the latest Transformers movie. Lots of Salients: Salient ARs, a Glock, and a Salient 1911 Commander made from programmable matter. But if you can get over that... there are security guards with HK416s, the bad (human) guys move like somebody taught them what to do, they hold their guns like someone taught them how to do it: No chicken wings, support hands near the muzzle... some guys doing the Costa thing, some guys doing a somewhat less exaggerated C-clamp, &c.

Now, maybe its because of how many Americans have served in Afghanistan and Iraq (although I don't think that's likely, given how few actually have done), the prominence of SOF like the Navy SEALs, the popularity of things like the Magpul Dynamics DVDs... I don't know.

Am I the only one noticing these things?

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-14, 20:51
Thanks to technical weapons trainers like former SAS Mich Gould, a lot of action films are getting some pretty authentic gun play and the latest widgets from the industry.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0332452/

fixit69
10-05-14, 14:48
Considering some of the rediculous things I have seen, it's a refreshing thing. Weapons choices especially.

ramairthree
10-05-14, 18:53
It does seem more common.

In the 80s I recall a tac mag change by Crockett on Miami Vice, a bad guy with a super fast draw/Mozambique, and the Terminator with a coupled mag change. Everything else was spray and pray, hip shooting, fingers on triggers, etc. etc.

I think there has been a gradual influx of more realistic stuff.
But it is mixed.
Sylvester Stallone may do a lighting fast for real mag change one scene, but then throw a knife or do some SA revolver stuff the next.

Fighting also seemed to get more realistic for a while,
but seems to have gone back to flashy stuff.
Like a bunch of flashy upright fighting stuff from a 5 foot tall 100 pound girl is going to take out a room full 6 foot and 200 pound plus guys-
let alone that know how to fight.

Jellybean
10-06-14, 18:32
....I think there has been a gradual influx of more realistic stuff.
But it is mixed.
Sylvester Stallone may do a lighting fast for real mag change one scene, but then throw a knife or do some SA revolver stuff the next.

That was probably one of, if not THE fastest multi-mag change I've ever seen an actor do. Totally legit. :laugh:
But then of course, it's always offset by some other ridiculous thing either later in the films, or in another movie.
But that movie in particular looked like they browsed through the M4C SBR thread.
TV shows, unfortunately, are generally still abhorrent when it comes to gunplay...

Fighting also seemed to get more realistic for a while,
but seems to have gone back to flashy stuff.
Like a bunch of flashy upright fighting stuff from a 5 foot tall 100 pound girl is going to take out a room full 6 foot and 200 pound plus guys-
let alone that know how to fight.

Because Girl Power Activate!
I really wish they would stop doing that already- but then fight scenes in general can get annoying after a while.
Indy had the right idea.... :cool: