PDA

View Full Version : Hight quality side charge/piston upper?

JustG45
10-05-14, 17:47
Looking at building a SPR and alway wanted to build a side charging ar. Would like a piston upper.

What is out there? I've seen only companies I've never heard of

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IraqVet1982
10-05-14, 17:55
It's called a SCAR 16.

JustG45
10-05-14, 18:10
I'd like to keep both my nuts. Too much

VIP3R 237
10-05-14, 18:15
I see conflicting wants for this rifle. Id say pick 2 of your 3 and you'll have much more luck.

Why piston for a SPR role? In general piston rifles are not as accurate as the DI variants, and the always cost more, so it would be counter intuitive. Also why a side charger?

The only 2 rifles that would fit your criteria are the Scar as mentioned above even though they arent really spr accurate, or the ACR DMR.

http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/acr.asp

foxtrotx1
10-05-14, 18:42
You are going to have a hard time finding a good quality side charging AR for a reason. Side chargers just leave a hug area for dirt and debris. What does a side charger do for you that the an ambi charging handle can't do?

halmbarte
10-05-14, 18:56
It's called a SCAR 16.

SCAR gets you ambidexterity, free floated barrel, and folding stock.

Plus, you can easily tune the gas action so it functions nicely with your ammo.

H

JustG45
10-05-14, 19:57
Being a lefty, I haven't found a charging handle that really works for me. Weapon manipulation just seems more comfortable. All my AKs just seem to fit the bill. because of this. Maybe that is where my piston wants came from but not important.

foxtrotx1
10-05-14, 21:28
Being a lefty, I haven't found a charging handle that really works for me. Weapon manipulation just seems more comfortable. All my AKs just seem to fit the bill. because of this. Maybe that is where my piston wants came from but not important.

as I mentioned earlier, rather than getting an unproven, detrimental design like a side charged AR, why not look at the myriad of ambidextrous charging handles on the market? I shoot right and left handed with my AR, never and issue.

TexanInCali
10-05-14, 22:06
JP Rifles makes some side charging precision ARs. They aren't piston, but they're supposed to be very accurate. It's moot though, because if you think a SCAR is too expensive, then this will be too.

TexanInCali
10-05-14, 22:08

A BCM Mod 44 or Rainier Arms Raptor are both great options for lefties.

VIP3R 237
10-05-14, 23:53
I just remembered the Faxon ARAK-21 upper, its piston and side charger, and ive heard good things about accuracy.

Iraqgunz
10-06-14, 01:06
Out of curiosity have you sought out competent instruction and had someone evaluate your weapons manipulation? Maybe you are doing something wrong? I am a right handed shooter, but my AR's are set up ambi and I am pretty comfortable operating an AR left handed.

iamjaymo
10-06-14, 05:32
I see conflicting wants for this rifle. Id say pick 2 of your 3 and you'll have much more luck.

Why piston for a SPR role? In general piston rifles are not as accurate as the DI variants, and the always cost more, so it would be counter intuitive. Also why a side charger?

The only 2 rifles that would fit your criteria are the Scar as mentioned above even though they arent really spr accurate, or the ACR DMR.

http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/acr.asp

Apologies to the OP and don't mean to derail the thread but how is it that a piston is not as accurate as a DI? Not trying to be smart but really want to know? Shot a couple pistons before but never really noticed they were inherently not as accurate...maybe my shooting just sucks.

Eurodriver
10-06-14, 05:54
Buying a side charging AR because you're a lefty is like buying an English manual transmission car. It will be expensive, unreliable, and for the same amount of money you could have taken a class with Mario Andretti to teach you how to drive your Challenger.

Apologies to the OP and don't mean to derail the thread but how is it that a piston is not as accurate as a DI? Not trying to be smart but really want to know? Shot a couple pistons before but never really noticed they were inherently not as accurate...maybe my shooting just sucks.

Heavy moving parts right along the barrel.

markm
10-06-14, 08:17
Side charge and Piston are the two WORST ideas ever forced on the AR platform. Trying to combine BOTH on one gun is completely nuts.

iamjaymo
10-06-14, 08:45
Buying a side charging AR because you're a lefty is like buying an English manual transmission car. It will be expensive, unreliable, and for the same amount of money you could have taken a class with Mario Andretti to teach you how to drive your Challenger.

Heavy moving parts right along the barrel.

Gotcha, makes sense.

SpeedRacer
10-06-14, 08:52
I've yet to see a side charging AR design that didn't involve serious drawbacks. Personally I'm not a fan of shoehorning features (especially major changes to the operating system) in weapons not originally designed for them. If side charging is a must, I'd pick a platform built from the ground up that way. If you prefer the AR, as others have mentioned the money would be better spent on some good instruction to learn how to run the rifle as it was intended to be run. Get a good DI gun, some BAD levers and a Raptor CH and call it a day.

iamjaymo
10-06-14, 08:56
Yeah, Kalashnikov has already cornered the market on poorly manufactured side chargers anyway.

nate89
10-06-14, 08:58
I am also a lefty and would echo the suggestion to try a high-quality ambi charging handle. I have a BCM and a Raptor, and they both work great. I have never felt the need to get a side charger, I don't think you will be any faster, nor do I think they are any easier to operate than a charging handle.

BlaineD
10-07-14, 06:45
It's not a piston, but 2 Vets Arms makes side chargers.