PDA

View Full Version : New Old Parts

Tremors
10-05-14, 22:05
If their is so much love for the older style AR's why isn't their more companies making the parts? I know supply and demand, but realistically it seems someone can make a killing if they really start making clone parts.

Renegade04
10-05-14, 22:22
Retros AR builds are a very small part of the AR world. My belief is that there is not enough money in it for manufacturers to get into reproduction vintage parts. One problem retro AR builders have is some others stockpiling vintage parts. There are some websites that have a few vintage and reproduction parts, but the amount of parts available is small. There are a few guys on ARFCOM that are very good sources for some vintage parts that I have used for many of my builds. If someone is looking to do a correct retro AR build, it is going to take quite some time to do depending on which model is planned to be built. There are a couple guys on ARFCOM that have started to mill some retro parts, but only in limited runs. Upper and lower receivers are in a limited supply. Uppers can be found in some of the classified sections of a few websites. Lower receivers (slabside, XM16E1, and A1) are available for order through Nadak Spud. There is a rather lengthy wait, but it is worth it. They are not producing their 604 upper right now, but slickside uppers are out there. A1 uppers are fairly easy to find. There are also a few companies selling USGI M16A1 parts kits. Sportsman Guide and SARCO, Inc to name two. I think Royal Tiger has some as well.

The interest in retro ARs has picked up, but it is still not near as popular as the modern builds. It seems the majority is not into the old school ARs as many of us are. The biggest thing about building a really nice retro AR is to be patient and perserverent. The outcome is always very rewarding.