PDA

View Full Version : British Army's new Glock 17's

Slater
10-06-14, 08:42
Looking at the picture, this G17 appears to have the standard plastic factory sights. Or are there metal sights with the same appearance?

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/10/9mm-ammunition/

markm
10-06-14, 08:45
The front sight doesn't appear to have that pyramid like shape. But maybe current sights aren't like that anymore.

SpeedRacer
10-06-14, 08:54
Glock makes steel versions of the OEM sights. It's hard to really tell from the picture though.

opmike
10-06-14, 09:25
I've never seen a Glock polymer front sight that had that profile (the ones I've seen are the pyramids as markm mentioned). The factory Glock steel sight DOES have the profile of the one that appears in that picture, however.

samuse
10-06-14, 09:52
Look like steel sights to me.

platoonDaddy
10-06-14, 11:49
I believe they officially adopted the G17 back in Jan of 2013.

Wonder if the 9mm ammo bid, will impact us here in the USA?

Nightstalker865
10-06-14, 12:04
The ones I have seen being carried in theater have the steel sights on them.

That goes for both US and British forces.

platoonDaddy
10-06-14, 15:03
The ones I have seen being carried in theater have the steel sights on them.

That goes for both US and British forces.

Assume also night sights?

kaltesherz
10-06-14, 23:43
Those are steel, I use a Glock metal non-tritium rear sight in my G19 after I found I shot better with the cheapo plastic sights than fancy aftermarket replacements.

Alpha Sierra
10-07-14, 08:58
Wonder if the 9mm ammo bid, will impact us here in the USA?

Thank God for reloading

HCM
10-07-14, 12:08
Did the Brits wind up adopting the standard 17 ? There were some prototypes floating around of Gen 4 Glock 17's with a manual safety which were supposed to be for British military trials.

platoonDaddy
10-07-14, 13:03
Did the Brits wind up adopting the standard 17 ? There were some prototypes floating around of Gen 4 Glock 17's with a manual safety which were supposed to be for British military trials.

What I read, they don't have a manual safety. They commented that in close combat (now I am paraphrasing) worrying about taking a firearm off safety is loss time. They also commented about the three internal safeties.

If I locate the article, I will post the link

EDIT: While the Browning had a manual safety catch that needed to be switched off, with the Glock "you just draw it and engage," Col. Peter Walden told reporters gathered at a London military barracks to see the new weapons.

That's because the Glock has three internal safeties and can be kept loaded in a holster, unlike the Browning, Walden said. Saving those vital one or two seconds could be the difference between life and death, according to Walden.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/11/uk-military-picks-glock-as-replacement-pistol-for-armed-forces/

Nightstalker865
10-07-14, 15:18
Assume also night sights?

Just the standard steel option sights for the most part.

I've seen several of our SOF guys running different sight setups, but I assume that's like anything else in this community to where team or unit SOP drives equipment.

Lost River
10-20-14, 20:10
When I was working in Basra, I ended up working on some of the brits HPs, after giving some quasi informal pistol shooting lessons to some of their personnel. Their guns almost universally were in piss poor shape and rough as hell over all. They loved our Glocks and many vocally wished they could carry the Glocks, as most all shot them significantly better.

I'm personally glad to see them get what they had been wanting. Mind you this was a small slice of the brit military, but the guys and gals we did our PR/ pistol training with were always excited to have the opportunity to get decent training and shoot the Glocks.

brushy bill
10-20-14, 21:52
When I was working in Basra, I ended up working on some of the brits HPs, after giving some quasi informal pistol shooting lessons to some of their personnel. Their guns almost universally were in piss poor shape and rough as hell over all. They loved our Glocks and many vocally wished they could carry the Glocks, as most all shot them significantly better.

I'm personally glad to see them get what they had been wanting. Mind you this was a small slice of the brit military, but the guys and gals we did our PR/ pistol training with were always excited to have the opportunity to get decent training and shoot the Glocks.

Wonder what they would have thought if they could have compared a new HP vs new Glock instead of worn out old HP vs new Glock...

MountainRaven
10-20-14, 23:22
Wonder what they would have thought if they could have compared a new HP vs new Glock instead of worn out old HP vs new Glock...

Would want it to be an improved Hi-Power. Maybe a MkIII. Or better yet, a product-improved Hi-Power. Like what the Marine Raiders have done with the M45.

Most of the Brits I've talked to hated theirs and were quite envious of those in the holsters of our Canadian - and, IIRC, Australian - cousins.