PDA

View Full Version : M16 A2/20 inch upper questions

Dirty_H
10-06-14, 11:28
I have been thinking about an SPR build to add to the collection. I know they are generally 18" models, but later on tonight I am picking up a 20" rifle on trade. This is the upper on the rifle:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

My main question is, can I put a free float handguard on this rifle with the front sight like that? If so, what one would you all suggest? I was originally wanting the MI SS handguard. Also, it has the traditional fixed stock, I have never changed it out, how difficult is that? How is the quality on that upper?

Thanks in advance.

SilverCat
10-06-14, 12:45
There are a number of free float handguards that are compatible with a standard front sight, I have not used any so I can't give any first hand recommendations.

The receiver group in the link looks good. The barrel is 1/7 twist, so I would recommend trying it with some heavier rounds.

As far as the specs go it all looks to be correct, except I don't see any mention that the bolt is HPT/MPI.
It also says that the barrel has a double-thick chrome lining, and I don't exactly know how that will affect accuracy. Many precision barrels are made without any chrome lining at all.

Edit: If you are going for authenticity you can instead make a SDM-R. It has a 20" barrel I believe.

Dirty_H
10-06-14, 14:08
There are a number of free float handguards that are compatible with a standard front sight, I have not used any so I can't give any first hand recommendations.

The receiver group in the link looks good. The barrel is 1/7 twist, so I would recommend trying it with some heavier rounds.

As far as the specs go it all looks to be correct, except I don't see any mention that the bolt is HPT/MPI.
It also says that the barrel has a double-thick chrome lining, and I don't exactly know how that will affect accuracy. Many precision barrels are made without any chrome lining at all.

Edit: If you are going for authenticity you can instead make a SDM-R. It has a 20" barrel I believe.

Name a couple of the handguards, or what to look for. Does it need a special way to attach to the receiver?

What do you mean by the bolt being HPT/MPI?

Thanks

Eurodriver
10-06-14, 14:21
I have been thinking about an SPR build to add to the collection. I know they are generally 18" models, but later on tonight I am picking up a 20" rifle on trade. This is the upper on the rifle:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

My main question is, can I put a free float handguard on this rifle with the front sight like that? If so, what one would you all suggest? I was originally wanting the MI SS handguard. Also, it has the traditional fixed stock, I have never changed it out, how difficult is that? How is the quality on that upper?

Thanks in advance.

If you do not know how to change an A2 fixed stock (probably the easiest thing on the platform to do), I don't suggest you go ahead and attempt to swap out a handguard.

Changing handguards, especially with a fixed front sight, is a pretty steep learning curve. You will have to remove the muzzle device, remove the front sight, remove the barrel nut and then reinstall it all using the instructions of your handguard of choice. Some handguards use OEM barrel nuts and can be installed without removing the front sight, but that doesn't appear to be the direction you wish to go.

It isn't too difficult if you've got some skills and experience working with your hands but it requires expensive tools (to be done right), and a broad knowledge of how to bring the whole thing together. Do you have any friends that have disassembled upper receivers?

mastiffhound
10-06-14, 14:29
I know Midwest Industries makes a 2 piece that will work with the front site but it's a quad rail here: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422 If it's the FN cold hammer forged barrel they are well thought of and I like mine a lot. My 20" PSA upper has the GM profile FN CHF barrel that's free floated and it's good for 1 to 1.5 moa most days. It's my favorite AR by far because it fills my needs to a T. Make sure the bolt is marked MPI(Magnetic Particle Inspected)/HPT (High Pressure Tested) as said above. PSA is decent as long as you carefully look over the specs, they do sell non milspec right beside the milspec stuff. You usually have a long wait time on delivery, both of those may be the reasons that PSA can be priced lower. BCM and Colt are top choices for good reason.

I personally chopped my front site on both my 16" BCM and 20" PSA and installed Troy one piece rails, the 11" Bravo quad rail on the 16" BCM and the 15" Alpha on the 20" PSA. The 15" Alpha weighed about the same as the 11" Bravo, if weight is a concern the quad rail design is going to be heavier per inch. Both my rails are 4 years old or so and newer models from other companies are much much lighter (like the BCM KMR). You don't say that you are handy with tools, if you're not then I would go with the easiest install. The MI rail is the lowest priced, not that it's bad but Centurion makes a sturdier 2 piece design but at a higher price. Both will require some cutting on your part. Only Daniel Defense (that I know of) makes a truly plug and play free float that has no modifications needed, but again the price goes up. DD Omega Rail here:https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail/omega-rail-12-0-rifle.html

Have you tried shooting with the A2 stock yet? Some people like it and some don't. My 20" has the A1 (just a little shorter) length and I like it, to change over to the A1 is one screw. I would try it first, you never know what might fit you until you do. Probably the reason most guys including myself have a box full of AR parts that we didn't need, use, or fit. It all goes in a box and usually turns into another AR, is used to help friends and family with their AR, or just gets sold.

SilverCat
10-06-14, 14:51
Name a couple of the handguards, or what to look for. Does it need a special way to attach to the receiver?

What do you mean by the bolt being HPT/MPI?

Thanks

HPT/MPI means high pressure tested/magnetic particle inspected. These are both mil-spec procedures that need to be done to the bolt. Well, I guess it doesn't 'need' it but people like their stuff to be in spec. HPT means they tested it with a high pressure round and MPI means exactly what it sounds like. If you want to replace it a good mil-spec shouldn't be too expensive I don't believe.

I'd do some more research on the accuracy of that barrel though. It should be a quality barrel if it is FN CHF, but the double thick chrome lining still gives me doubts.

I disagree with Eurodriver on the difficulty, though I can't speak on A2 sight removal. That might be a trick.
A free float forend will generally come with a proprietary barrel nut, or fit right onto your existing nut.

Dirty_H
10-06-14, 14:52
If you do not know how to change an A2 fixed stock (probably the easiest thing on the platform to do), I don't suggest you go ahead and attempt to swap out a handguard.

Changing handguards, especially with a fixed front sight, is a pretty steep learning curve. You will have to remove the muzzle device, remove the front sight, remove the barrel nut and then reinstall it all using the instructions of your handguard of choice. Some handguards use OEM barrel nuts and can be installed without removing the front sight, but that doesn't appear to be the direction you wish to go.

It isn't too difficult if you've got some skills and experience working with your hands but it requires expensive tools (to be done right), and a broad knowledge of how to bring the whole thing together. Do you have any friends that have disassembled upper receivers?

I just have never swapped out a stock. I am fairly handy so I am sure I could figure it out. I dont have the tools, nor do I really want to purchase them. I know a smith personally who could do it for me.

I will fondle the rifle, and probably do an accuracy test before I jump into free floating it. I have owned a bunch of carbines, but this will be my first AR15 over 16".

Kokopelli
10-06-14, 14:57
I just have never swapped out a stock. I am fairly hand so I am sure I could figure it out. I dont have the tools, nor do I really want to purchase them. I know a smith personally who could do it for me.

I will fondle the rifle, and probably do an accuracy test before I jump into free floating it. I have owned a bunch of carbines, but this will be my first AR15 over 16".

It's much the same as a 16" IMO.. I'm an FSB kind-a guy so I leave them.. However.. the fun really begins when you start tearing them down and building them. I say buy a few tools, watch some videos, read some how-to's and jump right in.. JMO

Dirty_H
10-06-14, 15:00
How would I know if it is an FN barrel? Also, I thought the FN15 barrels were not CHF?

Here is a picture of it. 28886

SilverCat
10-06-14, 15:04
It's much the same as a 16" IMO.. I'm an FSB kind-a guy so I leave them.. However.. the fun really begins when you start tearing them down and building them. I say buy a few tools, watch some videos, read some how-to's and jump right in.. JMO

Man speaks truth. You don't need that much skill do work the platform, it comes with experience.
Youtube videos and gun forums are the best for gaining knowledge, IMO. I used them to do acouple full builds with zero prior experience. Hadn't even fired more than 30 rounds from an AR before that probably.

SilverCat
10-06-14, 15:06
How would I know if it is an FN barrel? Also, I thought the FN15 barrels were not CHF?

It says it in the link. I don't know if the barrel would be marked FN if it was made specifically for Palmetto.

Kokopelli
10-06-14, 15:07

You should be GTG with that barrel..

SilverCat
10-06-14, 15:10
You should be GTG with that barrel..

And I'm still questioning that 'double-thick' chrome lining. Maybe for a standard 20" rifle, but wouldn't that throw off the accuracy too much for something intended as a SDM-R??
I'm sure he'd still get a fine MOA though.

Dirty_H
10-06-14, 15:14
It says it in the link. I don't know if the barrel would be marked FN if it was made specifically for Palmetto.

I am not 100% that that is the same upper I am getting. It is the only one listed with a BCG so I assumed.

I would be content with a MOA rifle. I intend (this may change) to put a burris Tac30 setup on it. I plan to use it for all around, but would like to take some longer shots.

Kokopelli
10-06-14, 15:15
And I'm still questioning that 'double-thick' chrome lining. Maybe for a standard 20" rifle, but wouldn't that throw off the accuracy too much for something intended as a SDM-R??
I'm sure he'd still get a fine MOA though.

The proof is in the pudding.. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it until it showed me what it could do.. I like the PSA premium stuff; it works very well for me.. JMO

Dirty_H
10-07-14, 09:12
Well I picked it up last night and am pleased. The quality seems pretty good. It came with a nasty UTG rail, so thats gotta go. Probably going to throw a MOE handguard on there for now. It doesnt have a rear sight, and I am planning on running optics, so I am probably going to just put a magpul sight on there.

I am looking at optics setups, and I want something that is a 1-4 power. I would like to keep the price around $500 tops. I really like the looks of the burris setup, but also noticed the Leupold 1-4 was only $299 on midway (excluding mount). which optic would you guys steer me towards? (not necessarily between those 2 either)

Dirty_H
10-07-14, 09:13
Well I picked it up last night and am pleased. The quality seems pretty good. It came with a nasty UTG rail, so thats gotta go. Probably going to throw a MOE handguard on there for now. It doesnt have a rear sight, and I am planning on running optics, so I am probably going to just put a magpul sight on there.

I am looking at optics setups, and I want something that is a 1-4 power. I would like to keep the price around $500 tops. I really like the looks of the burris setup, but also noticed the Leupold 1-4 was only $299 on midway (excluding mount). which optic would you guys steer me towards? (not necessarily between those 2 either)

BrigandTwoFour
10-07-14, 09:31
If you go with a 1-4 (or 1-whatever, really). I would suggest getting a slightly taller mount (ADM Recon-H, for example). I have a TR24G that moves from gun to gun depending on my needs. I have found that the fixed FSP in front of the optic's reticle causes some 'disorienting' movement characteristics. It's workable for sure, but I have come to believe that 1-4 or 1-6 optics are better suited to fold down front sights.

MistWolf
10-07-14, 10:39
I have found that all optics work better without a front sight

SilverCat
10-07-14, 10:45
I have found that all optics work better without a front sight

I would have to agree, it would also be much easier to free float if you lose the fixed sight, it also gives you more forend options.
I would take the upper out and get a good reading on your barrels accuracy, and if you find it to be unsatisfactory, you can simply swap the whole thing out and hold on to it for later.

Dirty_H
10-07-14, 11:06
I would have to agree, it would also be much easier to free float if you lose the fixed sight, it also gives you more forend options.
I would take the upper out and get a good reading on your barrels accuracy, and if you find it to be unsatisfactory, you can simply swap the whole thing out and hold on to it for later.

Is the front sight removable? I would prefer the rifle without.

SilverCat
10-07-14, 11:14
Is the front sight removable? I would prefer the rifle without.

It is, you should be able to remove the pin and tap the GB right off.

But first I'd try it as is and be sure that's what you want.

MistWolf
10-07-14, 11:16
You can also shave down the front sight and turn it into a low profile gas block. In this case, that's the option I'd take

Dirty_H
10-09-14, 15:20
I am looking at these 2 optics, do you all suggest one over another? Or something else in that range?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362370420/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-15-4x-20mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/994114/burris-fullfield-tac30-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-2-moa-adjustments-illuminated-ballistic-cq-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Also what mount? It was mentioned earlier that I would want a taller mount. Suggestions? Also, I plant on picking up a Magpul rear flip up sights to use with it.