PDA

View Full Version : What to do for a decent light weight upper?

SoDak
06-19-08, 15:48
I decided that my first build is going to have a 16'' lighweigth profile barrel, but I'm having troubles finding one that's good. My current plan has been to buy a chrome lined upper from del-ton and stick an LMT BCG in it. Would that be an ok setup? If not, can anyone steer me towards something that is of decent quailty?

R.D.
06-19-08, 16:12
I don't know your price range or intended use but G&R has Bushmaster (far from my first choice)lightweight carbines. They inspect and upgrade/fix most if not all of the issues that are normally associated with Bushmaster. IMHO this would make a good 1st carbine or a budget/beater gun.

decodeddiesel
06-19-08, 16:26
If you want something you know will not fail, and will very much bring you enjoyment and satisfaction out of your AR I would look at getting a Noveske N4 Basic upper. It may be spendy, but buy right buy once.

SoDak
06-19-08, 22:27
Noveske sounds nice, but looking at the prices on their website, I'm afraid that it might be too much. At most I'm looking to spend $500 on a upper without a bcg.

PRGGodfather
06-20-08, 18:15
For under $500, it is hard to beat an LMT 16" M4 1/7" standard upper from Grant for just $485.

The M4 contour is not a pencil barrel -- the 16" pencil barrel is always the lightest of the bunch -- still, it is almost a full 1.5 lbs. lighter than a heavy barrel (6721 contour) and more rugged than a pencil barrel. That's all there really is to consider, IMHO.

That price is for the entire upper, to include the PRI military latch on the charging handle, just no BCG.

Check it out. One can never go wrong with Grant.

www.gandrtactical.com

John123
06-20-08, 18:52
Noveske sounds nice, but looking at the prices on their website, I'm afraid that it might be too much. At most I'm looking to spend $500 on a upper without a bcg.

This is a Noveske 16in N4 barrel upper for just under 500 without a BCG. I think its a fantastic deal.

John

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16N4-UPPER&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DNRIF

PRGGodfather
06-20-08, 18:59
This IS a fantastic deal, for a mid-length full-contour barrel. This barrel will be deadly accurate, too. It will not heat up as fast, either.

The LMT upper will be a little lighter just 'cause the handguard is shorter, FWIW. For running and gunning, it's definitely a hard one to beat. I will be changing my 6721 barrel to an M4 contour barrel just for the weight savings. Not that I have to hold hallways for 30 minutes anymore, but light means portable, and fast.

Either way, Grant only stocks good stuff.

Good luck!
Alan

SoDak
06-22-08, 13:06
Thanks for the help guys it has given me some ideas although I still want to go with a lightweight profile if possible since this was going to be my truck gun and wanted something that I could easily manuver out from behind the seat without bashing the truck's interior. An m4 profile would work though since I have tried it with my charles daly m4le and it is light enough. In the end if I can't find a decent lightweight upper I'll just go get an stag upper from bravo company and add and lmt bcg or just go with an lmt upper.

Bimmer
06-23-08, 08:44
[QUOTE=SoDak;180677... I still want to go with a lightweight profile if possible since this was going to be my truck gun and wanted something that I could easily manuver out from behind the seat without bashing the truck's interior... [/QUOTE]

What about a 14.5" lightweight from CMMG?

Retails for about $500, shorter and handier than a 16" (plus flash-hider), and light. Any lighter/shorter and you're looking for an SBR...

Ben

decodeddiesel
06-23-08, 09:30
This is a Noveske 16in N4 barrel upper for just under 500 without a BCG. I think its a fantastic deal.

John

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16N4-UPPER&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DNRIF

That IS a great deal.

skyugo
06-23-08, 15:58

Retails for about $500, shorter and handier than a 16" (plus flash-hider), and light. Any lighter/shorter and you're looking for an SBR...

Ben

i'll second the CMMG. i have a 16" lightweight middy that has been flawless. i've got about 1600 rounds through it. 1 in 7 twist too. :cool:

Thermodyn
06-24-08, 01:28

Ben

I agree. I can't think of anything available that would be lighter either. CMMG is not as far left on Rob's chart as I'd like, so I am just going to buy two of their 16" mid-length lightweight barrels and use them for my builds. They are MPI'd, and available in 1/7. I hope the 4150 is mil-spec, but even if it is not, I think It'll suffice for my wife and boys to train with.;)

Bimmer
06-24-08, 04:20
Why 16"?

If you're really trying to save weight and keep it short (to move around in your truck), then why not get a 14.5" with a permanently attached flash-hider?

Ben