PDA

View Full Version : where's the beef???

weggy
10-07-14, 08:17
I'm not normally into "conspiracy theories", however, where's the damn powder? Every distributor I look at for reloading powder says "out of stock". I've been on, so called, waiting lists for as long as a year and sometimes longer. If you are lucky you might find a "stray" can or two at a LGS. All the powder manufacturers say they are producing at maximum volume and yet nothing hits the shelves. I don't believe powder is being hoarded like 22lr. Unlike ammo, there is no way I would buy powder from some schmoe on ebay. I figure that there must be between 9 or 10 major powder manufacturers out there, and if they are all "working overtime" on producing this powder, then, where the hell is it???

I've put on my tin foil hat and still don't have an answer! Who is buying this before it gets to retail, and why are they buying it? Maybe this is just a backdoor Liberal plot to, to at least slow down shooters from enjoying their sport. I don't really believe this, but something is afoot and It is evil!:confused:

opngrnd
10-07-14, 08:30
I see powders on a regular basis. While it's not always the type I'd like, it's out there. The only thing preventing me from owning a mountain of it is my budget. Same for primers.

Airhasz
10-07-14, 08:30
Get on the phone to every LGS in you area and find it. It's out there. Ask them when they recieve and place powder on the shelves and make a point to be there until like me you don't need another 8lb jug on your bench.

markm
10-07-14, 08:38
It's out there. Looking at Midway or Graf's, powdervalley, etc. isn't going to get you much of anything... and what you might come across won't be worth the hazmat fees because it's been limited quantities from what I've seen.

LGS scrounging is the way to go.

Onyx Z
10-07-14, 09:13
What powder are you looking for? I haven't checked the last few weeks, but Wideners had 8lb jugs of various powders in stock a few weeks ago.

I really haven't had a problem finding anything lately... except 22LR.

opngrnd
10-07-14, 09:33
I should note that, in my case, I never seem to find it on demand. Usually I just find it if I'm there out of habit. There are three stores that I stop by if I'm just passing through each week or so, and even if each store gets powder only once a month, the persistence pays off if I'm willing to be diligent.

T2C
10-07-14, 09:57
It's out there, just not the selection to fit every need. I walked into a local gun shop a few days ago to purchase powder and they had close to 500 pounds on display. Most of it was suitable for rifle reloading though. When I finished my purchased at the cash register, the owner told me he had another 780 pounds coming in on a truck next week and I should check back for pistol powder when the shipment arrives.

It's out there. You just have to beat the bushes to find it.

jl1288
10-07-14, 10:34
Same story here down in S. TX. The LGS only seem to have 1 pound cans in stock with a 1 can limit. The one time I did come across an 8lb jug the LGS was asking $259.00 All I could do was shrug my shoulders and walk away. On a positive note I did score 8lbs of Varget the other day from a new shop that just opened. Cost me $189.00 out the door. To say I was giddy as a school boy going out with the school tramp was an understatement.
Other than that it has been very hit or miss.

markm
10-07-14, 10:49
It gets a little unsettling when you finish off an 8lb jug and toss it into the recycle bin. :(

.46caliber
10-07-14, 17:48
Pistol and shotgun powders are still MIA locally.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk