PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 FS problem?

texasgunhand
10-07-14, 16:26
I bought my wife a new 92fs and noticed on "You Tube" alot of people were having problems with the decocker breaking in a way were the safety will still go on but the hammer will not drop. Ive never had a problem like this on any of my old ones,and was just wondering if any of you have had this problem?

I searched this forum and nothing popped up about it. Are these guys just abusing and breaking them? And is there a diagram of how to fix this problem with the replacement parts from brownells located somewhere on here?

When i decock the gun i USE the decocker and lower the hammer with my thumb slowly like i would lower it on my .45s,, just habit.

The only info i can give you about the gun is that its a brand new 92fs. And mine is so far not having a problem btw.. And it seemed that most vid. posted were from around 2011.

Thanks guys.....will check back later for updates..

BBossman
10-07-14, 16:52
Reports are that it happens when working or releasing the slide with the safety engaged.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

texasgunhand
10-08-14, 21:16
OK, ill be sure and not do that.. thank you..I couldnt seem to find alot of info on it..

foxtrotx1
10-08-14, 22:42
Yeah, i'm not sure how much people are doing that in order to get it to break, but after the first time you do it, you realize it's not supposed to happen just by the grinding feeling in the pistol.

RWCRaiden
10-10-14, 17:42
I've heard of the safety not disengaging when flipped to fire, but that's been service pistols after thousands and thousands of rounds.

Tremors
10-10-14, 18:59
I like my 92FS. I have never had any problems. I use to shoot it in shooting matches without any problems. I do not do matches any longer but I occasionally carry it as as CCW. I trust my life with it.

opmike
10-10-14, 19:35
Here's a video illustrating the problem for anyone else that is curious; first time I've heard of it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgi_7TrwQC0

IZinterrogator
10-11-14, 00:19
I had an issue M9 that did it on a semi-regular basis, so I just started carrying it cocked and locked.

williejc
10-12-14, 00:10
Cocked and locked???

I've owned and shot just about all modern handguns that have a decock feature. On the range or in a field and stream setting I always had my thumb on the hammer when decocking. I was not comfortable with the hammer falling with full force. I didn't like hearing the crunch/slam noise associating with decocking, and I always have considered the mechanism to be fragile. Just my opinion--no source or reference to cite.

texasgunhand
10-14-14, 11:31
I noticed that most vids. were from 2011. I wonder if beretta has fixed this problem yet?
I just told my wife if shes working the slide to turn the safety off. She knows to keep her finger off the trigger any ways.
But there were a couple of vids. and a lot of comments about this happining,seems like a dumb problem to be having from a company like beretta.

Of course nothings perfect but any safety problem should be taken to heart by beretta.

As strong as the double action trigger pull is in this gun, I would just leave it loaded with the safety off{dont have kids at home}.But i bought this gun for her becouse it has an ext. safety that most pistols dont have anymore.
I also told her to only hammer drop it with the safety if it had to be done, if not, to hold the hammer, flip the decocker and lower it slowly like a .45 since it rolls the firing pin outa the way if it gets away from her it wont fire anyway..

Thanks for all the replys, I had not seen this problem before and it kinda bothered me when i saw it. I doubt this pistol will see 1000 rounds through it in its lifetime. but if it breaks i will post what happened..Iam gona take here out and put 100 round through it next week and it will probably be put in a night stand..lol. We were in a forest fire and lost her cheap .380 her dad gave her and i wanted to replace it with a pistol she could go shoot and have some fun with.And after shooting my .45 she found out that the little gun kicked as bad as a big heavy one so i upgraded her to the 9mm. so far she loves it..

foxtrotx1
10-14-14, 11:50
Here's a video illustrating the problem for anyone else that is curious; first time I've heard of it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgi_7TrwQC0

God that was painful to watch. The comments were worse.

This seems like improper weapon handling, not the fault of beretta. As is stated earlier, the grinding feeling in the slide when dropping the slide with the saftey on should be all the warning you need to realize that your doing it wrong.

texasgunhand
10-14-14, 11:56
LOL i agree..some things just dont feel right...

ABNINF
10-22-14, 10:17
This isn't uncommon, but I wouldn't call it frequent either. We run M9's at work. Each pistol will see 2-3k rounds per year during training iterations. Not exactly hard use, but they get shot fairly often. I'll see three to five of these malfunctions a year on average, out of a sample of 70 guns that get shot regularly. Most of these pistols are 3-5 years since their last refit.

Other malfunctions we'll see are broken locking blocks occasionally and broken trigger return springs

For those worried about watching that decocker fall, I get it, I used to feel the same way, but in the last 7 years, I've seen probably close to a million rounds fired through M9's and have yet to see a discharge due to the decocker. Each pistol gets decocked as one of the final steps of the post-engagement sequence. Each gun also sees almost as many dry fire iterations as it does live. So, I can tell you the odds of the gun discharging when decocking it, are infinitesimal.

texasgunhand
10-27-14, 19:32
Ahh good ive never seen one fail.

Denali
10-27-14, 20:31
Other malfunctions we'll see are broken locking blocks occasionally and broken trigger return springs

I've broken the trigger return springs on every(5)92FS I've owned, several of them multiple times. I have a 92A1(6th 92), a fine pistol, but apparently its unable to adapt to the wolf replacement spring for the fragile factory offering from Beretta, and I fully expect to be breaking the the trigger return spring it was fitted at the factory with sometime in the first few thousand rounds its fed...

Magsz
10-27-14, 20:56
I've broken the trigger return springs on every(5)92FS I've owned, several of them multiple times. I have a 92A1(6th 92), a fine pistol, but apparently its unable to adapt to the wolf replacement spring for the fragile factory offering from Beretta, and I fully expect to be breaking the the trigger return spring it was fitted at the factory with sometime in the first few thousand rounds its fed...

Change from the polymer trigger unit to the metal trigger and you can run the wolf INS unit.

Timbonez
10-27-14, 21:47
Both Beretta's and Wilson Combat's steel triggers work with the Wolff trigger conversion unit.

BBossman
10-28-14, 06:47

Beretta redesigned the trigger spring in an effort to solve this. The older springs had a smaller "loop" that wound up around the trigger pin as it compressed. I kept spares on hand for replacement, also polishing the trigger pin helped.

The new spring has a larger loop to eliminate this binding. I first observed the redesigned spring on a 92FS I picked up new in 2009 and subsequently on a civilian M9 I bought in 2010.

I replaced the trigger springs in my other two Berettas with the new style spring and haven't broken one since.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

ShipWreck
10-28-14, 12:19
Trigger spring is meant to be replaced every 5k trigger pulls.

I just swap in a new one when I change out the recoil spring. A little sooner than needed - but easy to do

legumeofterror
10-28-14, 20:40
My 92 Compact L of recent manufacture had the hammer release lever break.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/2e364b2d-97dc-44d1-908a-647234b09ec9_zps0ab8cea6.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/LegumeOfTerror/media/2e364b2d-97dc-44d1-908a-647234b09ec9_zps0ab8cea6.jpg.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/IMG_8250_zpsa7906a8c.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/LegumeOfTerror/media/IMG_8250_zpsa7906a8c.jpg.html)

Looks to me it was not heat treated properly. Broke at the stress riser just like it is supposed to.

The best part is the gun still fires with the safety in the "on" position if the hammer is back.

texasgunhand
11-06-14, 15:36
Thats scary..

themighty9mm
11-07-14, 13:51
In total I have owned at least 15 beretta 92fs or variations of it. I currently own 3. Currently I have one 92, that has just a bit over 28,000 rounds through it, and at least another 50,000 dry fires on top of that. I have broken a firing pin on that one. I have replaced the recoil spring on a semi regular basis. Every 6,000 rounds or so. I think I replaced the trigger spring once, but not because it was broken. This one was made back in 91 though. My other made back in 89 only has around 3,000 on it. No parts breakage. My current m9a1, only has about 500 rounds through it.

I have owned several older berettas and a good chunk of more recent manufactures from the last 7 years or so of production. This is the first I have seen anything like this or heard of, and I browse the beretta forum a good bit. I have heard of trigger springs breaking and locking blocks, but more often than not. It's due to improper preventive care. A small spring that see's constant flew, no matter who makes it, its going to be a wear part. A easily replaced impact part (locking block) is going to be a wear part.

Even with a handful of reports of it happening, I'll keep it in mind, but will still chalk it up they are machines, made by man. And anytime any company produces X number of 100,000's of anything, you will get a few parts or entire products that are bad. No matter the manufacturer

texasgunhand
12-02-14, 19:45
Exactly....

ennbeegunny15
12-06-14, 21:00
I had this happen to me a few years ago on an older beretta, I bought a new decocker and replaced it. As stated on the first page of this OP, it was releasing slide with safety engaged.

USAFCATM
12-08-14, 05:54
Yeah, sounds like you have a broken hammer release lever. The biggest item I've had to replace on our issue M9s is the locking block (nothing new there) but we had a batch of 120 M9s that came in back in 2006 and a lot of them had these same parts failing by the time I PCS's back to the same command in 2010. Not a real problem to replace the part but the pin is staked in place. If you replace this part, stake the pin, NOT the aluminum frame that holds the pin in place!!! I had junior armorers that would try that before I had a chance to stop them and they would damage the frame by attempting to stake the pin in place. If it makes you feel any better though, the M9 has the firing pin block and when you rotate the decocking lever down, the firing pin striker pivots out of the way. In other words, you can turn the safety on for that cocked and locked look then squeeze the trigger allowing the hammer to fall with no danger of it going off. Hey, I'm not an M9 fan boy (replaced way too many locking blocks and seen a few to many cracked frames and slides...yes, slide separation failure still does happen, BTW) but I will give credit where credit is due when I say that the M9 is still a very safe design, even when pieces like this are broken.

texasgunhand
12-08-14, 23:49
I had a taurus 92 that i shot tons of ammo through and never changed the locking block or any thing for that matter.
Does the taurus break locking blocks or is this only a problem in the italy beretta? I shot the barrel outa that thing and never had
A ftf or fte i never had a problem at all.

Of course the 92 fs i bought my wife will never see the service life of 20000 rounds,but she loves it...I put berettas metal guide rod and
Stainless spring in it for her,i know the plastic guide rod would be fine but for 25 bucks i changed it...BTW i keep and all ways have, the locking blocks lubed very well. These days with slip ewl..