PDA

View Full Version : upgrade of my USGI magazines

platoonDaddy
10-07-14, 17:19
Purchased a three pack of Magpul Self LEV Lower to upgrade my USGI magazines. Dang, what a great friggin product, following the installation thought I was testing a new magazine.

Hard to beat $7.47 for a three pack.

Digital_Damage
10-07-14, 18:07
Purchased a three pack of Magpul Self LEV Lower to upgrade my USGI magazines. Dang, what a great friggin product, following the installation thought I was testing a new magazine.

Hard to beat $7.47 for a three pack.

Nice.

Bolt Carrier has the KAC version 10 for $17

Seems to be just as good and almost a buck cheaper per follower.

jtaylor996
10-07-14, 21:07
I tried to do this, but my USGI mags broke on disassembly (just one).

Mine are crazy old, though (Vietnam purchase), with the aluminum followers. I ended up just putting new springs in the rest.

Chad allred
10-07-14, 21:38
I did the same...brought new life and reliability to my old mags

Dave_M
10-07-14, 21:50
I'll be contrary here but there are exceedingly few malfunctions that a simple follower change will solve. Sure, self-leveling followers have some advantages but they don't fix any of the primary reasons for magazine malfunctions (which are spread feed lips, split spines, dents, and worn springs). I mean sure, they're cheap piece of mind but it's no replacement for proper PMCS.

cd228
10-08-14, 01:50
Dave M,
I don't think that there are all that many things that could replace proper PMCS. Unfortunately, most folks don't know what proper PMCs is, both MIL and CIV. I used to get loooked at funny when I diassembled, inspected and cleaned my magazines. I also got funny looks when I asked for a TM and 5988 to do proper maintenance on my rifle.

On the followers I use them religiously in my work mags. I was always worried that the bouncing around from walking or riding the the MATV would cause the follower tilt and hang up. So you are correct when you say it is piece of mind. What grinds my gears is when you see folks smacking the spine of their magazines on hard surfaces to "seat the rounds".

Bushytale
10-09-14, 10:49
I tried to do this, but my USGI mags broke on disassembly (just one).

Mine are crazy old, though (Vietnam purchase), with the aluminum followers. I ended up just putting new springs in the rest.

You are talking 20 rd. mags with metal followers. The Magpul followers will not work in those 20 rd. straight mags. They will work in the newer curved 20.

tog
10-09-14, 10:53
I upgraded to the magpul followers as well.