PDA

View Full Version : kids freedom just 40 years ago and our freedoms are going quick

Honu
10-07-14, 17:31
I remember being a kid around 7 and up we had a 12 foot boat with a 4 HP engine I used to take out to go fishing since I lived on the water
would grab my gear and head out

today you need a lic to fish a lic/registration for a tiny boat and a PFD on and of course the laws about filling gas in a small tank near beaches and the list goes on and on
when we would go jet skiing when younger there was no requirements of age and courses and all the stupid stuff there is now !!!!

was going to get a small kayak for some lakes around here and maybe a canoe for the kids with a small engine WOW so lic this regulation that fees for this and that and limits of things you can do here or there on the lakes etc... frigin insane anymore

we could ride our dirt bikes down the street and not a big deal or ride them in the local field etc... no more !!!! it seems most places now quickly police are called etc...

my dog ate my glasses this week ? went to get replacement pair OK sorry state law you HAVE to get a new exam every 2 years or they can not fill prescription even for replacement !!!!!! you have to be kidding me what the heck is that stupid law
these are the kinda things that IMHO are destroying what we had beyond insanity

Outlander Systems
10-07-14, 17:50
Maybe it's because I grew up in the sticks...

...But I distinctly remember riding down the road as a 12 year old, on a dirtbike, and waving to the Deputies when I saw them. Now I'd get a no-nock from CPS and my dog would get shot.

The nature of the beast, man. As time goes by, we as a society get less free, and more stupid.

Honu
10-07-14, 17:56
ditto that :)

just like that lady in Texas I think it was who's kids play at the park across the street from her home and she let them play there and CPS was called ?
we used to play ALL OVER the place make forts do fun things etc...

SteyrAUG
10-07-14, 18:12
For me there is no better example than my father and uncle buying surplus '03 Springfields and '17 Enfields with their paper route money when they were in Junior High and then riding home with them on their bicycles.

Honu
10-07-14, 18:26
yup to :)

my HS most of us had guns and gun racks in our truck and many brought chain saws etc...

Airhasz
10-07-14, 18:50
The gov is protecting you from yourself.

Averageman
10-07-14, 18:54
For me there is no better example than my father and uncle buying surplus '03 Springfields and '17 Enfields with their paper route money when they were in Junior High and then riding home with them on their bicycles.

When I was in Jr High we had a Rifle Team.
We Shot NRA Small Bore in the HS Gym. No issues, no problems, everyone was happy.

Dienekes
10-07-14, 19:34
In 1959 I was a junior at a Catholic boys' boarding school. One of the kids in a school play had a part as a USAF AP; he showed up in the full uniform to include the 1911 pistol, 100% operational. The teachers (all men, many WWII vets) took it very much in stride. We were all enthralled by this iconic cannon, me most of all. During this same time period someone showed up with a war trophy Beretta .380. For a while I kept a Ruger .22 pistol in my desk, again with no particular notice taken of it. I used to take it with me on walks as we were in a very rural location.

I usually had at least one firearm in my dorm room all through college, ranging from a .22 derringer to an M1 Garand. One one occasion an RA saw me with a Colt Bisley and asked me what I was doing. I told him to mind his own damn business and nothing came of it.

Nowadays you could fornicate in the hallway and people would just step over you and snicker. Have a gun anywhere on campus and the SWAT team would show up in a surplus MRAP and wet themselves in the process.

SteyrAUG
10-07-14, 22:53
Nowadays you could fornicate in the hallway and people would just step over you and snicker. Have a gun anywhere on campus and the SWAT team would show up in a surplus MRAP and wet themselves in the process.

Actually saw that back in 87, also people didn't really close the door for any reason. Never understood how anyone could do it in a hallway given all the foot traffic on the carpet, even then I was too much of a germ-o-phobe. College dorms are a whole different world. Nothing like drunk, mostly naked whores passed out in the commons. Thankfully everyone I saw just shook their head and laughed as they walked past and nobody did anything uncalled for. I suspect a lot of girls paid a big price pulling that shit in the wrong place like some of the frats.