PDA

View Full Version : Why do some guys destroy their rifles on purpose?

09-20-06, 11:46
I was surfing ar15.com and came across this guy Stickman. He seems to know his stuff and builds great looking rifles. Then I see pics like these. Why on earth would guys destroy their gear? He can take nice pics but I have never seen a rifle look anything like this unless it was dragged behind a truck. Do these kind of guys really think their cool? I must be really behind the times. Having worn off edges shows me a well used and worn rifle but drag marks? Please tell me I am missing something, is this all the rage now? Have I gotten that old?

Not trying to start a fight with anybody just trying to understand why poeple trash their stuff this way.

In all my years I have never seen anything like this.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2043/dd70litewearstickzq7.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8125/worktoolsstickam0.jpg

Here is a great looking rifle, nice and clean very little use.
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5764/img73621sticktr1.jpg

KevinB
09-20-06, 11:51
I dont want to be a dick -- but some of us use our weapons ;)

Its a one of KAC URX Middy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Courses/PictureorVideo008.jpg

I had to smash a window -- so the lovely Dark Earth barrel got scuffed.

Its a tool.

SuicideHz
09-20-06, 12:15
Stickman uses that particular rifle for testing his equipment IIRC.

He's also one of the best at refinishing so it isn't a problem for him.

Go defend the guys who put felt pads on their brass deflectors!

:D

M4arc
09-20-06, 12:25
Stickman is a member here as well.

I don't go over there anymore so I can't tell you what he was up to but it's my guess he was doing some testing and evaluating. He, like some others, will push the envelope from time to time to see where/how/when things fail. I generally find those posts to be very informative and appreciate the fact that some don't care about "fit and finish" if it means finding out how gear will perform under stress or adverse conditions.

Just be glad you haven't seen bigbore's Glock 21 Torture Test thread :D

09-20-06, 12:26
Guys please do not misunderstand me. I do not want to fight with anyone. That is why I posted here instead of ar15.com

I just do not understand why people do what they do. To me it looks like he threw the gun on the ground and dragged it around. In gods name why? What could he be testing by dragging the gun on the ground!

KevinB yes sir from reading both sites I know you are a ground pounder, I know your gun is a tool but Stickman seems to be a poser to me. I know several people may not like that but thats the way I see it. He can post nice pictures but that does not mean he knows anything about using the gun.

He seems to have a real opinion about current products but does not show me he can really use the tools he builds. Posting pics like the above just lowers my respect for the man.

Edit:

M4arc you sure can type fast. I did not see your post until after hitting save.

Stickman if your reading this sorry, but you look like a guy who talks more than he walks. Posting pretty pictures does not convince me that you know what your doing. For the life in me I cannot understand why someone would drag a gun on the ground.

rob_s
09-20-06, 12:45
Stickman is LE, for whatever it's worth.

KevinB
09-20-06, 13:03
I'm not a Sir I work for my money.

As Rob-S mentioned Stick is an LE guy -- Kuddos to him for ensuring his gear works by both realistic training and no babying his tools.

CALLING HIM (or others for that matter) a POSER is not to be taken lightly, diagree with him all you want (I know Mark Larue does ;) ) - but discreditting or talking down to will NOT be tolerated here -- consider that a warning

The only type of pictures that piss him off or the poster that pisses me off -- was that guy on ARF.com who wanted to know how to weather his firearms to make it look like they were used.

VA_Dinger
09-20-06, 13:24
Lock - Stick is a LEO and I think that says it all.

All I see is "Use", not "Abuse".

It's just a rifle not collecting dust tucked away in a safe.

This is not going to be a "Pretty Rifle" or "Collectors" forum.