PDA

View Full Version : Glock Dust Cover Question

okie john
10-08-14, 00:09
I just noticed that the forward end of the dust cover on my Gen3 G17 lightly touches the lower part of the front end of the underside of the slide when the gun is in battery. Is that the norm?

Thanks,

Okie John

Heavy Metal
10-08-14, 00:34
Perfectly normal.

Mr blasty
10-08-14, 00:37
All mine do it and so have all the others I've come across

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

SpeedRacer
10-08-14, 00:47
Yep, totally normal. I don't think Glock has ever confirmed nor denied it, but personally I believe it was a purposeful design change in response to issues early Glocks (Gen 2) had with frame flexing.

acaixguard
10-08-14, 07:37
I've seen some that do and some that don't. As long as it shoots without a problem, don't worry about it.

opmike
10-08-14, 09:56
Yep, totally normal. I don't think Glock has ever confirmed nor denied it, but personally I believe it was a purposeful design change in response to issues early Glocks (Gen 2) had with frame flexing.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

To answer the OP, every Glock I've owned has had this to some degree or another. Normal.

SpeedRacer
10-08-14, 10:11
This doesn't make any sense to me.

To answer the OP, every Glock I've owned has had this to some degree or another. Normal.

Just a personal hunch. None of the gen 2 Glocks I've seen displayed the prominent upper sweep of the frame like you see in the Gen 3+ guns. If it was unintentional, seems like you'd see a higher percentage of them without it, or Glock would have fixed it a long time ago.

My totally non-engineer theory is that the upward sweep either strengthens the front end of the frame or gives it almost a spring-like preload that help prevents the frame from flexing under recoil especially with a WML mounted.

There's a few theories out there regarding it, I've never seen any actual explanation.

samuse
10-08-14, 10:29
It's called pig nose.

It's a result of plastic warping. Not intentional or a problem.

Crow Hunter
10-08-14, 10:59
It's called pig nose.

It's a result of plastic warping. Not intentional or a problem.

+1

Has to do with the way the part cools differentially.

RAM Engineer
10-08-14, 11:23
Seems like every M&P I've ever seen displays the same trait, in the OPPOSITE direction (downward curvature).

okie john
10-08-14, 11:52
Makes sense.

Thanks to all who replied.

Okie John