PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint T1 vs CompML - why is the T1 so much better?

gjj
06-19-08, 21:21
The T1 seems to be the all the rage. I am not sure I get it. Sure, it is smaller and lighter. But, it is not that much lighter. They both have ridiculously long battery lives.

Is there anything else I am missing? I don't see the HUGE improvement.

RyanB
06-19-08, 21:26
It is literally half the weight, and you can even get it farther back on the receiver for better balance.

gjj
06-19-08, 22:22
It is 4 ounces lighter. Not exactly a huge difference.

RyanB
06-19-08, 23:04
Every ounce adds up. If you can save four ounces without losing any function, its a no brainer.

JSGlock34
06-19-08, 23:11
The weight savings is closer to 6 ozs when you add in the weight of the mounts - nearly half a pound. I appreciate weight savings where I can find it. I also find the Micro nicely balanced - it really feels like it isn't even there on the rifle.

The field of view is excellent - the windage and elevation knobs are small, and the battery compartment is housed in the on/off/brightness dial. This makes for very clean lines.

At the end of the day is it any more or less accurate than any other 4MOA red dot sight? Nope. Is the ML series still an excellent sight and good value? Yep. But for those who want the lightest Aimpoint sight, the T-1 is worth the money.

Patrick Aherne
06-19-08, 23:54
Some guy that just has to have everything new will sell his Comp ML to get a T-1. I will buy the Comp ML and be happy; he will have his T-1 and be happy. Don't you love America?

Blake
06-20-08, 00:17
It is whatever makes the most sense for you. If you aren't looking to save weight, then I'm sure you will be satisfied with the ML series. The micro series does save the end user weight, and I'm sure those that are humping in the hills of Afghanistan, look to save weight in any possible way, just for one example.

The Archangel
06-20-08, 14:03
I upgraded my CompM to a Comp M3L. I will always keep my M3L, but I will eventually get a T-1 for my next SBR.

Arclight
07-03-08, 16:30
Some guy that just has to have everything new will sell his Comp ML to get a T-1. I will buy the Comp ML and be happy; he will have his T-1 and be happy. Don't you love America?

That's how I got my CompM3 with LaRue QD mount. Made two people happy. ;)

Jerm
07-03-08, 18:22
The field of view is excellent

this is the one question i have...

is there no advantage to the full size tube being larger by 1/3 in this respect?especially on the move or in unconventional positions?

i would think so,but not having used the T1...

rob_s
07-03-08, 18:48
this is the one question i have...

is there no advantage to the full size tube being larger by 1/3 in this respect?especially on the move or in unconventional positions?

i would think so,but not having used the T1...

There IS an advantage to the larger tube in this regard. The T-1 requires a more consistent cheek weld in order to see the dot.

It's all a matter of tools for the job. On my "plain" SBR (light, reddot, that's it) I will be putting a micro on it eventually and moving the fullsize Aimpoint to my 9mm SBR for gaming.

On a gun that otherwise weighs in at 10+ lbs it may not make sense to try to shave 6 oz., but on a gun that only weighs <7 lbs. to begin with it starts to make more sense.

Jerm
07-03-08, 23:47
thanks,good to know.

still intend to try out the T1 when i get a chance,but i went with the ML3 partially for this reason.

C4IGrant
07-04-08, 10:45

It is when you start adding up ounces and it turns into pounds. The Micro's are really the best best for people that are trying to save weight anywhere they can.

C4

CarlosDJackal
07-04-08, 21:30

Amazingly, it is a huge difference once yu mount it and start using it. YMMV.